Guest jones

Bed Bugs at Sansuk Sauna Guest House! Help!

As they are not registered on this board, the management of Sansuk Sauna and Guesthouse have asked me to post the following message on their behalf:

Dear Sir,

We are very, very sorry to hear about what happened to you at Sansuk, but we are also very grateful to you for telling us.  Things like that should not happen to any guest at any Hotel or Guesthouse.

As far as we know, this has never happen before at Sansuk. We will now check up all our beds, and we hope that it will not happen to anyone again.

Our man at the reception was confused because he had never heard about the bugs before.

We are also sorry for not knowing about the problem a few days before your departure. We could easily have put your clothes into the freeze-box over night and then laundry them for you. Can you please forgive us and still keep in touch with your Internet friends at Sansuk.

Sincerely yours,

Management

Sansuk Sauna and Guest House

I find that Sansuk management responded very nicely to the issue, and they sound sincere. (I wish I could travel and be there now, with or without bugs...)

Jones, it is explicable that you are frustrated, but you should realize that bed bugs can appear in the best, most ritzy hotels everywhere in the world.  They don't have machines that can scan their arriving guests for bed bugs.  It is believable that the receptionist at Sansuk didn't know about these bugs and could not take the actions you wish he had, besides the fact that you were already leaving.

So it does not help to bash the place where you got the bugs. At most one can judge the cleanness of the place, since a neat, responsible hotel may keep an ongoing lookout for and prevention of pests in their rooms. In fact, now that you are / have been lodged at some hotel in Bangkok, you may have brought with you and your bags these bugs into your new place, and you don't sound like you are sorry for doing so. Similarly, if one gets some STD from a sex encounter, it is not fair to blame the establishment where the sex encounter happened.

I find that Sansuk management responded very nicely to the issue, and they sound sincere. (I wish I could travel and be there now, with or without bugs...)

Jones, it is explicable that you are frustrated, but you should realize that bed bugs can appear in the best, most ritzy hotels everywhere in the world. They don't have machines that can scan their arriving guests for bed bugs. It is believable that the receptionist at Sansuk didn't know about these bugs and could not take the actions you wish he had, besides the fact that you were already leaving.

So it does not help to bash the place where you got the bugs. At most one can judge the cleanness of the place, since a neat, responsible hotel may keep an ongoing lookout for and prevention of pests in their rooms. In fact, now that you are / have been lodged at some hotel in Bangkok, you may have brought with you and your bags these bugs into your new place, and you don't sound like you are sorry for doing so. Similarly, if one gets some STD from a sex encounter, it is not fair to blame the establishment where the sex encounter happened.

Yes they did respond nicely, hopefully they will respond to my e-mail request for their help in a similar way.

I have already stated that I am aware that bugs can appear anywhere and that it's not down to cleanliness and have also stated from the beginning of this topic that the staff are very friendly people.

Asking for advice on the situation or making people aware is not bashing them, it's giving others the advanced knowledge that I wish I had before my stay.

In fact there is a website where you can list places which have bed bugs so that others can check it. I think people have a right to know before they find themselves in the same situation. Should I have stayed quiet? Eventually someone else would have come into contact with the bugs and said something I'm sure.

I can only love your comment which attempts to shift the blame to myself.

I did everything I could to manage the situation to the best of my knowledge at that time. My point is I just wish Sansuk had immediately taken action to swiftly deal with the issue such as offer to clean my clothing and freeze my items. I didn't receive this offer.

A hotelier not knowing about issues such as this which can be common in hotels, or knowing how to deal with it is no excuse I'm afraid.

I'm not blaming the hotel, I just feel that if you are going to run this type of business, your staff should be trained on issues which can arise and how to effectively deal with them.

----

I can only love your comment which attempts to shift the blame to myself.

I did everything I could to manage the situation to the best of my knowledge at that time. My point is I just wish Sansuk had immediately taken action to swiftly deal with the issue such as offer to clean my clothing and freeze my items. I didn't receive this offer.

A hotelier not knowing about issues such as this which can be common in hotels, or knowing how to deal with it is no excuse I'm afraid.

I'm not blaming the hotel, I just feel that if you are going to run this type of business, your staff should be trained on issues which can arise and how to effectively deal with them.

I empathize with you, and in your situation I might feel the same way.  But I am not in your situation and so I may have a more objective view of it.  The staff did not offer to take your clothes and clean, boil, freeze them when you checked out so that you could collect them on your returned to the place.  This is a long proposition that is not a usual attitude of the staff of an hotel (but we wish they would be so attentive). Maybe the guy at the checkout counter instead of making the elaborate proposition was distracted thinking about his girlfriend or bf and he had never received special training about bed bugs. It would have been different if you spoke to the manager/owner to request such action, and he refused.

Also just to add, I am still suffering with bites now from these bed bugs after spending 2 days boiling and drying all of my clothes and scolding my hands which means they are probably in all parts of my luggage. Great! I can't throw it all away some of it is expensive stuff!

I will Have To call professional help today I think as I'm not taking these things home with me! Pretty much ruined the 2nd half of my trip. Will try Rentokil in Thailand for advice on their services.

Shame Sansuk didn't bother to help me or at least discount the 10k bht I paid for my room!

-------

Well... they should have given you a discount if... if you asked for it.

Are you sure... you have bed bugs biting you now?  If you picked some up at Sansuk, they are not so voracious to bite constantly but they do it maybe once a week.  If they laid eggs in your belongings, these eggs need many days to hatch.  Are you sure you will gain anything calling "professional help" and spending a lot of money? 

Well... they should have given you a discount if... if you asked for it.

Are you sure... you have bed bugs biting you now? If you picked some up at Sansuk, they are not so voracious to bite constantly but they do it maybe once a week. If they laid eggs in your belongings, these eggs need many days to hatch. Are you sure you will gain anything calling "professional help" and spending a lot of money?

I requested the manager and was told he isn't available.

I wish I was being bitten once a week! I've been bitten at least 100 times today alone!

The bed had bed bugs 100%

I've been getting bitten ever since I slept in that bed so it must be bed bugs. Also the bites look the same as on the internet although I take them down quickly with tea tree and constant showers.

Still no answer from Sansuk by email on my request to help. I will call them tomorrow and have to travel back to Pattaya if they agree to help me.

I recall several years back when the deaths of 6+ tourists at a Chiang Mai hotel was eventually attributed to a bed bug pesticide used. So be careful what you ask for.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1385518/Bed-bug-pesticide-poisoning-caused-death-California-woman-tourists-Thailand.html

Yeah this is why I have stayed away from pesticides, heard too much of this in Asia

OP: You are totally blameless for what happened and at the same time courageous in persisting with doing something about it and sharing the matter with us here. It ought to certainly encourage the establishment concerned to make more efforts to avoid it happening to others...

And they ought to help you more.

Unless I have misunderstood what you are saying if you still have the problem on your body, it is vital u try to get rid of it asap and make sure none of your belongings are infected which could in turn cause re-infection.

Good luck.

OP: You are totally blameless for what happened and at the same time courageous in persisting with doing something about it and sharing the matter with us here. It ought to certainly encourage the establishment concerned to make more efforts to avoid it happening to others...

And they ought to help you more.

Unless I have misunderstood what you are saying if you still have the problem on your body, it is vital u try to get rid of it asap and make sure none of your belongings are infected which could in turn cause re-infection.

Good luck.

Thank you

A MESSAGE TO jones FROM THE MANAGEMENT OF SANSUK SAUNA AND GUESTHOUSE

Dear Sir,

We could easily have done everything to help you, but as you say; the taxi was waiting....... 

Now we know that you will be in Pattaya to-morrow, Friday, please contact us and you may stay at Sansuk for free over night and we will put you belongings in the freezer for a few hoers and then laundry them.

You are most welcome and we are still grateful for telling us about the problem.

You say >>> "A hotelier not knowing about issues such as this which can be common in hotels, or knowing how to deal with it is no excuse I'm afraid".

Sorry for being so innocent and blessed that after 14 years in the business we have never heard of or had a bed bugs problem.   

Hope to see you on Friday,

The Management

Sansuk Sauna and Guesthouse

when I put my clothing on is when I get the bites again even after they have been through boiled water. To stay bite free I have to then shower and stay naked it's the only way I get any sleep.

What clothes you are wearing ? All Armani and Gucci?

I feel sorry for your predicament and don't want to sound rude but you are in Thailand, country where quality clothing can be bought easily and any clothing cheaply. Why you just don't dump all that contaminated stuff , buy new ones and release yourself from that misery. Treating quality  fabrics with boiling water certainly don't do much good to the cloth itself.

Instead of getting concerned about getting even with Sansuk get on with your vacations. I'm not saying your expectancies aren't reasonable , just pointing that you  can do more to release you from that nightmare.

I don't get a point of spending time in Pattaya or Vietnam without clothes, can't you just buy something to tidy you over ?

My apologies for sounding harsh but this is what I think.

No that's fine and I get what you are saying completely and I love a straight talker!

You made me laugh about the Armani and Gucci. No the clothes are not a problem so much but I have expensive electronics with me such as my drone which i obviously can't throw out! The bugs could be in the carry bag for it tho they get in all the seams and zips etc!!

Trust me if I was getting bitten like a few times a day I would just carry on. I'm being eaten alive!!!

On a lighter note Sansuk have agreed to clean my clothes and freeze my suitcase which is a blessing and I thank them very much for, I have not tried to get even with Sansuk tho I think They are very nice people! I was more sharing my experience and getting some advice.

Haha I did have plans to capture some amazing footage but with the new drone law in place and registration sounding like a pain in the A I've decided not to bother!

Does anyone know how to delete this post? I have no idea how to delete them on here or is it not possible?

I created this post out of desperation for advice when finding myself in a situation that I didn't understand and believe I have gained the correct info now.

I'm not a panicker whatsoever believe it or not, and it was only when the situation became worrying after a few days of dealing with it that I reached out to you guys for advice which i really do appreciate.

As I've said already if I was having a couple of bites here and there I would never have created this post, it was hundreds of bites over the past few days.

I travel Thailand on a regular basis (3rd time this year) on my own and although I have a few Thai friends, it's just simply easier and more informative to get advice from people who will understand what I'm saying (farangs!) due to the communication break down when trying to explain a complicated situation to Thai people that don't speak great English as I discovered when I called Rentokil of whom put the phone down on me after selecting their option for English language but they didn't understand English.

I feel that Sansuk have responded in a good manner by offering to freeze my luggage and clean it and also 1 nights free stay while they do so which was very nice of them.

As I have stated throughout this post, you can get bed bugs anywhere whether high or low end accommodation as I have now learnt and will in future be checking all bedding wherever I stay. The main thing is how the hotel deal with the issue once highlighted. I would describe Sansuk as a very clean hotel and this situation was I'm sure a one off and unfortunate.

Also on a plus after having well over 100 bites yesterday I covered myself in coconut oil during a shower and I haven't been bitten once today which turned my frown upside down!

Hopefully after freezing and cleaning my luggage this situation will be one I can look back on and laugh about (yeah right).

Thank you all for your valuable advice

Guest Promsak

I recall several years back when the deaths of 6+ tourists at a Chiang Mai hotel was eventually attributed to a bed bug pesticide used.  So be careful what you ask for.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1385518/Bed-bug-pesticide-poisoning-caused-death-California-woman-tourists-Thailand.html

I have lived in Thailand for many years and we always (a group using 3 rooms) went to Chiang Mai for Songkran and Loy Khratong and some times in between. We always stayed at the Downtown Hotel and never had any problems of this sort.

On my most recent visit to Chiang Mai the hotel had been demolished and was an overgrown site.

I was never convinced by the explanation of the pesticide being to blame.

I felt so sorry for the nice staff there.

[...] No the clothes are not a problem so much but I have expensive electronics with me such as my drone which i obviously can't throw out! The bugs could be in the carry bag for it tho they get in all the seams and zips etc!!

Did you try the insecticide (Baygon spray or similar) at all? Seems like an obvious way to at least TRY. And given the eggs issue that has been mentioned, it would need to be tried FAST, so as to kill them before they lay any eggs anywhere, though with luck the eggs MIGHT be killed by the poison, too, if exposed long enough....

Does anyone know how to delete this post? I have no idea how to delete them on here or is it not possible?

not possible. You can edit your own post only for a limited time after posting (dunno how many minutes), then no editing, let alone post or even thread deletion is possible (except by admin, obviously). This is apparently a board policy here, as some other boards allow for unlimited editing of posts.

OP asks:

-Well would of thought if you ask the mod's they will do it for you..

but hey , we want to know the outcome and what happens after your free stay and if the problem is solved!

OP asks:

-Well would of thought if you ask the mod's they will do it for you..

but hey , we want to know the outcome and what happens after your free stay and if the problem is solved!

Ahh ok that's fair enough, I felt that everyone might be getting bored of seeing this subject keep popping up!

Ahh ok that's fair enough, I felt that everyone might be getting bored of seeing this subject keep popping up!

if somebody is bored with any subject it's easy to avoid by not reading it so don't worry. This subject is popping out because people are reading it and commenting so obviously there's an interest.

Jones, I hope you're successful in ridding your belongings of bedbugs. But if you bring them home with you, it will cost you at least $1,000 to TRY to rid them front an apartment. If you have anything larger, cost balloons.

Forget insecticide treatment. Best option is professional super heat treatment that may have to be repeated.

If it was me I'd dump everything but you passport in los and be glad you didn't bring the critters with you.