Guest Wonder

Regarding Cambodian Men Working in Bars in Thailand

It's not necessarily racist. Fair(er) skin used to be a privilege of those who didn't have to toil away in the rice fields, so it can well be seen as a status symbol between people of the same race. Whenever I've asked Thais where their preference for white skin comes from, I've heard this explanation more often than any other - they simply believe it makes them look "more hi-so".

In the same vein, many Thai women have commented on my hands being smoother, more delicate and (again) whiter than theirs. They are not that far off the mark when they say it's because I haven't worked a day in my life - as they mean manual labor, not work in general. ;)

Skin whitening products may be available in other countries but not in anywhere near the abundance they are in Thailand. The imarketing strategy is make those with darker skin feel inferior to those with white skin. It's racist and manipulative at best. But if you or anyone else wants to buy into it, by all means knock yourself out. I'm confident it will immediately improve your appearance and attractiveness.

Thank you reader for your advice.  Whitening products never crossed my mind while in Thailand, but I could get some improvement in my appearance and attractiveness. 

I used to take every day a 15 minute tan without clothes in my backyard without any protecting cream and the sun at its strongest, to get darker and to gain vitamin D.  Now in my 70s I have stopped this and take instead vitamin D supplements, trying to avoid any sun to prevent dark spots. Am I guilty of the racist and manipulative white-ism by avoiding the dark spots that reveal old age? 

It's not necessarily racist. Fair(er) skin used to be a privilege of those who didn't have to toil away in the rice fields, so it can well be seen as a status symbol between people of the same race. Whenever I've asked Thais where their preference for white skin comes from, I've heard this explanation more often than any other - they simply believe it makes them look "more hi-so".

In the same vein, many Thai women have commented on my hands being smoother, more delicate and (again) whiter than theirs. They are not that far off the mark when they say it's because I haven't worked a day in my life - as they mean manual labor, not work in general. ;)

If the rationale is to appear more like the hi-so in society, then the marketing strategy succeeded.

Having done manual labor for most of my working life, I envy your smooth and delicate hands.

Thank you reader for your advice.  Whitening products never crossed my mind while in Thailand, but I could get some improvement in my appearance and attractiveness. 

I used to take every day a 15 minute tan without clothes in my backyard without any protecting cream and the sun at its strongest, to get darker and to gain vitamin D.  Now in my 70s I have stopped this and take instead vitamin D supplements, trying to avoid any sun to prevent dark spots. Am I guilty of the racist and manipulative white-ism by avoiding the dark spots that reveal old age?

The purpose of sunscreens is to protect against skin cancer.

Whitening creams can actually damage the skin's outer layer, making it more susceptible to the harmful effects of the sun.

Obviously precautions people take to avoid skin cancer have nothing to do with racism. Try as you might to twist your pretzel-like logic otherwise.

Having done manual labor for most of my working life, I envy your smooth and delicate hands.

You shouldn't envy anyone, since by doing this you are putting yourself down. 

So what if your lack of intellect restricted you to do manual labor?  This is nothing to be ashamed of.

Stevie, i envy you your consistent ability to resort to gibber, your impressive lack of logic, your inability to distinguish between Thai and foreigner, your defense of disgusting pranksters and your ability to see corruption everywhere except in your thinking process. So why deny me the pleasure of envying Alexx's lovely hands?

As in so many of your posts, your words are worth a thousand pictures.

Stevie, i envy you your consistent ability to resort to gibber, your impressive lack of logic, your inability to distinguish between Thai and foreigner, your defense of disgusting pranksters and your ability to see corruption everywhere except in your thinking process. So why deny me the pleasure of envying Alexx's lovely hands?

As in so many of your posts, your words are worth a thousand pictures.

I don't envy your consistent fantasizing about my persona, but if this makes you feel better, I have no objection.

All that means is Title of the Thread attracts people. Once they realize there is little useful information on the subject , they never return ,but  the useless back and forth with Steveboy keeps the thread alive for new views hoping constantly there will be some useful posts on the subject.

Stop feeding the Troll!