reader

Foreigners cry racism over race ban

From Bangkok Post

Runners slam BMM online for racial discrimination

The organiser of the Bangkok Midnight Marathon (BMM) 2020 was blasted online on Friday after its "new normal race" policy was perceived to be barring foreigners from entering the race.

BMM's Facebook page and social media accounts were on Friday flooded with angry comments about the "new normal race."

Now in its third year, the BBM -- which Thai authorities created to jump-start sports tourism -- introduced a "new normal race" policy for the event that will take place on Dec 13.

Runners and organisers are expected to comply with social distancing rules and adhere to fever checks, screenings and mask wearing.

But what has fuelled outrage is the online registration that only permits Thais to register, prompting accusations of racial discrimination.

Gregor Rasp, a former running and sports endurance coach who has lived in Thailand for 20 years, said that the policy is misguided.

"If you follow the news then you know that 99% of recent Covid-19 cases are imported by Thai nationals. And just like foreigners, these Thais have to spend 14 days in quarantine. One is only released from quarantine if he/she tests negative after 14 days," he said.

Boonperm Intanapasat, the BMM race director, on Friday issued a statement apologising for "failing to take into account that there were many expats here who would want to take part in the race".

"Offending this community is the last thing we wanted to do. We love athletes of all nationalities."

Runners and organisers are expected to comply with social distancing rules and adhere to fever checks, screenings and mask wearing.

The picture below shows a lack of diversity in an Olympic 100m final.   Whilst there is no doubt opportunity for all to enter, by the time it gets to the end of the competition, only one race seems fast enough.   Wikipedia tells me the last white 100m Olympic winner was Alan Wells, in Moscow in 1980.   I don't ever remember seeing someone from S.E Asia in such a final.

I'm not quite sure if the genetic differences are so important for longer distance races, but imagine they still matter.    A lean frame and long legs have to be advantageous for running.

So could we be at the point where Thais find it difficult to win their own event if there is a good number of entries from expats.    That still does not excuse any restrictions on who enters.

As for mask wearing in a race, it would be nuts.  All they really need is some kind of policy at the start, then instruct people to avoid running in close proximity to others afterwards.  

If they enforce mask wearing, anyone with a competitive streak is just going to think carefully about which mask has the least obstruction to airflow.   

375px-London_2012_Olympic_100m_final_start.jpg

I don't see any problem if just Thai nationals or Thai residents are permitted to compete but using race ticket is not only racist  but also unforceable idiocy. What about somebody with three Thai grandparents but one being black or white American ?  Would such a person qualify under ' new normal race" ? It seems Covid is attacking not only lungs but brains too

51 minutes ago, vinapu said:

I don't see any problem if just Thai nationals or Thai residents are permitted to compete but using race ticket is not only racist  but also unforceable idiocy.

Would you be as forgiving if you were turned away at clubs and massage shops that decided only to admit Thai customers?

It could happen if this xenophobia continues to grow.

6 hours ago, reader said:

Would you be as forgiving if you were turned away at clubs and massage shops that decided only to admit Thai customers?

It could happen if this xenophobia continues to grow.

Happy ? , no. Forgiving and understanding my place in line , yes.

It's likely happening now and always was as common wisdom I heard repeated many times is that most of Thai sex industry is invisible for foreigners.

Our straight brothers have taste of it in soi Thaniya -try to enter one of those girly clubs for Japanese only.

But yes , I agree that growing and more vocal  xenophobia is a danger and for both sides at that.

Who is let into pubs and clubs is partially a matter of culture & behaviour, as well as race.

Apparently some of the straight clubs near walking street don't let in Indian or Arab customers.  

On the rare occasion I see Indian customers in the gay gogo bars, they are typically trying to loiter about watching the show without buying a drink.   Until they get shown out of the premises.    If a bar gets a lot of customers from somewhere behaving like this, eventually they might try to discourage them from entering in the first place.  

Who knows whether I would be welcome in the Indian clubs in Pattaya ?      I have no intention of finding out.

2 hours ago, z909 said:

Who is let into pubs and clubs is partially a matter of culture & behaviour, as well as race.

Apparently some of the straight clubs near walking street don't let in Indian or Arab customers.  

On the rare occasion I see Indian customers in the gay gogo bars, they are typically trying to loiter about watching the show without buying a drink.   Until they get shown out of the premises.    If a bar gets a lot of customers from somewhere behaving like this, eventually they might try to discourage them from entering in the first place. 

Barring customers because of bad behavior is different from barring customers based on color, orientation, appearance or nationality. If we overlook discrimination for one group we encourage against all groups. And for gays, of all minorities, to look away when others are marginalized ignores the long history of discrimination and attacks that they themselves were subject to..

I can understand a country wanting to test and temporarily quarantine foreigners due to the pandemic but once those visitors have complied with those restrictions, they should be free from discrimination.

Xenophobia is the fear or hatred of that which is perceived to be foreign or strange. The topic came up at a presentation of the Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand last week. The spokesman for Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs was asked about it during the Q&A session. It was an uncomfortable moment for the official but at lest he addressed it with a diplomatic response. That the question came from a Thai journalist impressed me. All of us should aspire to the same courage when confronted with xenophobia.

It's easy to forget what life was like for gays  half a century ago. It was only through confrontation that signaled we would no longer accept it that lead to the freedom we enjoy today. Let us now not quietly acquiesce to discrimination in any form no matter how uncomfortable the moment might be.

5 hours ago, reader said:

Barring customers because of bad behavior is different from barring customers based on color, orientation, appearance or nationality.

this brings us to age old question : do we really, deep in our hearts,  welcome wholesome invasion of straight girls into boy bars ? 

41 minutes ago, vinapu said:

this brings us to age old question : do we really, deep in our hearts,  welcome wholesome invasion of straight girls into boy bars ? 

I don't even welcome it superficially, never mind deep in my heart.     I just tolerate if if they are quiet and well behaved.    To be honest, they are rare in most of the bars I go to.

1 hour ago, vinapu said:

Good question. But it's actually in our best interest that the ladies join in the fun chiefly because they provide the financial support that helps keeps the bars profitable. Secondly, given the generous number of straight guys who work the boy bars, the ladies' presence is one more reason that keeps the boys in the game. I for one would hate to see the straights exit the scene as they are frequently among my favorite offs.

Sure,  ladies might snatch away some guy we have our hearts set on but so could another gay guy.

I'm for girls frequenting  bars exactly for the same reasons reader listed but this is utilitarian approval , not open armed one. One few occasions though, in ToyBoys, Jupiter and BBB I wished gender discrimination was introduced. I must say I never met annoying girls in neither Tawan nor Moonlight though .