reader

Hoteliers demand govt reopen to foreigners

From The Nation

The Thai Hotel Association (THA) has demanded that the government reopen the country to foreigners, especially since occupancy in hotels is almost zero, with some small operators being forced to close up.

Marisa Sukosol Nunbhakdi, THA chairman, said the government should consider specific countries or cities and come up with promotions to bring back tourists. 

She added that operators in the tourism sector were also finding it difficult to take loans, and called on the government to set up a fund to help them out. 

Separately, Tourism and Sports Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn said the prime minister has spoken to Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration about allowing foreign tourists to visit specific areas in Phuket. 

He said if this scheme proves to be effective, it will be applied to other provinces such as Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani or Chonburi.

From The Thaiger

International tourists ‘essential’ to Thai economy, PM says

Thailand needs tourists to pick its economy back up, PM Prayut Chan-o-cha says, adding that a system needs to be put in place that would both prevent the spread of the coronavirus and also allow international tourists to enter Thailand again.

While there have been many concerns about allowing international tourists into the country, Thailand’s economy is dependent on tourism. Prayut says opening up the Thailand’s economy is dependent on tourism.

“If nothing is done, things will get worse. Premises will be shut down. Employees will be laid off. How can the government afford to help them all?”

Of course not everything will happen all at once, and visiting Thailand won’t necessarily be easy. Opening borders could bring on a potential second wave of the coronavirus. Prayut says only a limited number of tourists will be allowed to enter at first to test out the country’s coronavirus control measures, making sure there are no virus transmissions. He says the tourists will be monitored and if Covid-19 is detected, they will be able to contain it.

“There will be forms to fill in. Flights must be traceable. When they reach their destinations their whereabouts will have to be confirmed and they will be isolated from others.”

==============================================================================

From The Nation

Holiday subsidies doubled after tourism scheme fails to lure travellers

Ministers at today’s mobile Cabinet meeting in Rayong agreed to upgrade the “Rao Tiew Duay Kan” (We Travel Together) tourism stimulus scheme after it received a disappointing response from travellers. Only 660,000 of the 5 million nights of subsidised accommodation offered by the scheme have been booked by travellers since it started operating in July.

In response, the Cabinet agreed to extend the period of subsidised stays for each traveller from five nights to 10 nights and the air-fare subsidy from Bt1,000 support to Bt2,000.

Yes I read an article, maybe posted elsewhere on this blog, about a man from the Netherlands who did a visa run to his country and then faced a nightmare trying to get back to his Thai spouse and their children. The cost of quarantine, at $200/day, is daunting. If I could quarantine at our home in On Nut on arrival I would have no problem returning for my usual three months this winter. But under the current rules—no.

2 hours ago, muscfair said:

Not many tourists would want to go to Thailand if they are required to take 14 days quarantine on an island, take an expensive insurance and take that nasty Covid-19 test on arrival.

test yes, insurance cost I can swallow but quarantine ?, Thailand can forget about me

21 minutes ago, muscfair said:

Some Covid-19 test in USA is tainted with the virus so don't go for unnecessary test.

Yes, and the sky is falling and the moon is blue.

What I can't understand is if all you're having are bad experiences with scamming Thais and scheming boys, why the hell are you still there writing about it?