TotallyOz

Qustion about dependents

I take reside meaning to be able to use all the facilities, etc. Those are not for guests but for residents that live in the condo only. It is a really nice new condo so I don't want issues as he is a dependent for sure. :)  And, he will reside there with me.

When questioning the definition of reside, I was thinking of exactly how many nights it takes before a visitor becomes a resident. 

More importantly, I don't think I like the "dependents" clause.   I'd either check it or get it amended to include "partners" as well, or something like that.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer.  Although I do read contracts and have had success in getting clauses amended.

• Members

The contract may only mean that you cannot sub-let an extra room, or cannot take in a rent paying room mate.

I agree that your Thai boyfriend is your dependent, but the leasing company may not see it that way.  Like z909, I would want to check before signing a lease.  

Also, will they require his ID to be on file, and his name on the lease as a condo resident?  And what happens if in the future you get a different boyfriend?  Does that require the lease office to be informed? 

Even a neighbor could create a problem for you in the future.  Better ask in advance to preclude possible issues.  I would specifically ask if an unmarried partner can reside there, and if so, get it written into your contract as z909 said.  

Thanks. I had them add the words spouse/partner in that section and they said no problem. I feel better about the lease now.

Years back I wanted to rent a condo in Center Condo but the owner said my Thai BF could not be there alone without me. LOL It was insane as the BF made more than the apartment was worth and I quickly said adieus. The apartment in question is 60,000 baht per month and 2 months security. I can't image damage at 120,000 for any reason unless someone is insane. Which, not that I think about it, I think I may be for paying that much in a renter's market. But, I found the one I loved and I wanted it!

3 hours ago, Michael said:

Thanks. I had them add the words spouse/partner in that section and they said no problem. I feel better about the lease now.

Good work.   Getting that sorted before signing was the best move.

On 2/13/2021 at 1:58 PM, Michael said:

well done, even if it probably would never have caused any issues because in my experience in real life in a condo nobody cares about such clauses, this is a case of "better safe than sorry", and at not cost.

What I'm curious about in this case is, is the contract in English only or bilingual Thai and English? If the latter, than usually the Thai version will prevail and it would be worthwhile to see what the Thai clause actually says. By the same token, if it's a bilingual contract, adding those words only in the English text will have zero legal effect, rendering your successful effort futile.