Guest lurkerspeaks

Former Republic Chairman comes out of the closet

• Members

I posted another thread on this topic in Lucky's Place before I noticed this thread that already existed in this forum. This is the better forum for the topic. I have moved and retained that other thread as it contains a separate source article.

• Members

I posted another thread on this topic in Lucky's Place before I noticed this thread that already existed in this forum. This is the better forum for the topic. I have moved and retained that other thread as it contains a separate source article.

Just because he was involved in politics should not make this a Political subject. I think you should move it back to "Lucky's Place".

The battle he went thru with himself, because he is gay, is something most gays also go thru in their life. Some come out when they are in High School (almost unheard of when I was in High School), College, maybe after marrying and realize that doesn't make them straight, some later in life, some never in their life. It is a comflict that all gay people go through and we should discuss it as such, maybe it would help someone.

I am very glad he was able to take this step at this point in his life. I know nothing about his life and what things affected his decision. He states he realizes he could have done more if he had outed himself earlier. I think many people think the same thing sometimes. I know some that regret being out after how it effects their family. A battle and decision we each must face based upon our own individual lives. I wish him well with his decision and hope it may help others.

Here is the link to the article were he talks about being gay. Read the whole story I think it is a great story:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/08/bush-campaign-chief-and-former-rnc-chair-ken-mehlman-im-gay/62065/

• Members

Just because he was involved in politics should not make this a Political subject. I think you should move it back to "Lucky's Place".

My initial reaction was this was more news than politics hence my original forum selection. Then I started to anticipate the kind of responses likely, so I caved but it was borderline. Glad you agree with my first instinct. Moving my other thread and this one as well.

• Members

I think this is great news for all of us. I'm sorry his road was so long and difficult, but I think the more folks who come out across the whole political spectrum the more this isn't an us versus them issue, because it's all us.

I wish I could agree. Guys like this do so much damage and then expect to be forgiven for it just for the asking. He needs to pay some dues to make up for what he did. I guess he plans to...but until then...

I wish I could agree. Guys like this do so much damage and then expect to be forgiven for it just for the asking. He needs to pay some dues to make up for what he did. I guess he plans to...but until then...

I agree. If it were only his silence, I'd be more forgiving. He was part of the problem. That means he has a hell of a lot to make up for.

Guest CharliePS

I agree. If it were only his silence, I'd be more forgiving. He was part of the problem. That means he has a hell of a lot to make up for.

He did say that he was opposed to supporting anti-gay messages in Republican campaigns, but was basically overruled by Karl Rove.

• Members

At the same time he can do so much now that he is out. Do you think only Republicans are in the closet? I know more gay Democrats in the closet than Republicans. Yes some are involved in politics. I think this, added to Bush's former lawyer arguing for gay marriage can only help gays to further advance in society.

One of the last real bastions of people staying in the closet is Professional and College sports. Thats were I'd like to see some big name finally come out while he is still playing. I know it would be hard. Seems several out themselves after leaving a sport.

Oh, I don't forgive him, but I still think he'll do more for our cause blowing apart the bullshit of the religious right than anything anyone else could do.

So I still think this is great news for us.