Guest tomcal

Retirement...

Guest tomcal

I am not sure if this is the "right" forum to post this, but since 90%+ of my posts are posted here, I decided this is where it will go.

I hate to do this but I will be retiring from this forum.. As much as I enjoy it and have made good friends here, my ability to travel and "HO" is quickly coming to a end and I will have no new information/pics to post. I have always viewed this forum as a place to share information about my experiences so that others could have as much fun as I have had, and answer questions that come from going to a foreign country and navigating the sexual landscape! I remember vividly coming back from my first trip to Rio in October of 2001 and thinking "wow, I got to get other guys to come here so the saunas don't ever go out of business!" For me it was like finding paradise on earth! LOL

About 2-1/2 years ago I was diagnosed with a progressive disease. While not a "terminal" disease, it progesses to a point where living independently becomes impossible. While it progresses at different speed with each patient and I have a slower progressing form, it non the less progresses. For the past 2-1/2 years I have, through exercise and medication been able to keep the visible symptoms hidden for the most part. I take meds 4 times a day and recently it has had to be increased. But now it makes traveling much more difficult with time zone changes and the fact the meds have to be taken an hour b/4 or an hour after you eat, all within a 12 hour window each day, so you have little windows of time during the day when you can eat and for someone who never taken any medications my whole life, it has been a little difficult to get used to doing and sticking to a schedule. I have been pretty positive thru the last 2-1/2 years, but there are definitive times when it gets to you. I recently have "progressed" and am now exhibiting new symptoms that unfortunately will make the masking of some of the symptoms impossible and I do not want have to explain or watch others looking wondering what's wrong with me(especially sauna boys! lol).

I had mentioned in my march post on Brazil trip that it might be my last one but I felt good enough to squeeze another trip in the end of May. I have shortened this trip as I realize on my last trip that it is more difficult for me to be out of my normal routine for more then a week.

I sincerely wish everyone here the best and much fun going forward, and I hope many of you will enjoy the wonders of the Brazilian saunas in the future!

A Special Thanks to OZ for creating this "home" for us to discuss and learn and become a family of sorts, and to the many friends I have made as a result of this forum. To those who I have offended over the years, I apologize and to those who I have entertained with the stories, thanks for reading them! I really wish the best for all of you!
Tom(cal)

Guest Paragon

Gosh, Tom, your reports have been so valuable to me, it is a sad day to know that they are coming to an end. I am glad that you got one more trip in, and who knows, perhaps fate will smile on you and you will find a way to go again.

Best wishes to you. May your disease be as non-progressing as it can be, and may your life continue to be full of friends and yes, boytoys.

Guest riosul77

What an articulate goodbye. Thank you for sharing a very private matter and doing so in such a dignified manner. Heartfelt best wishes in your future challenges, adventures, and triumphs.

Saudade....Zackery

Guest lurkerspeaks

I too offer my well wishes to Tom. He is not just a great reporter for all things Brazil, he is also a great person and friend. I have had the pleasure to meet him in person on a few occasions and even shared some "HO" time with him in Rio. I truly hope that his condition is such that instead of retiring from this forum completely, he can remain as an advisor to everyone. His wealth of knowledge in this area is unsurpassed and even if it is no longer continuing to expand, it is still a very valuable asset that many of us can learn from.

• Members

What an articulate goodbye. Thank you for sharing a very private matter and doing so in such a dignified manner. Heartfelt best wishes in your future challenges, adventures, and triumphs.

Saudade....Zackery

Tom, as I read your poignant post, I applaud you for your sincerity, honesty, and for 'ALL' that you've rendered here.

Strange: an acquaintance of mine who sent me an email today asked me if I've ever met you. This Brit met you in Rio at one point and was impressed. Also, you have been in my thoughts recently, for there haven't been any posts! Now I know and am sorry that you will be taking another road!

Riosul's sentiments are mine. I wish you the utmost best in carrying on now as well as in the future despite your illness!!

• Members

I'm sorry to hear of your health issues. But you are maintaining a positive and proactive stance with regard to this problem. I am hoping there will be a cure or a new treatment for your illness.

Yesterday I finally took the plunge and booked my flight to Prague for early August. So I'll try and enjoy the city in the spirit of Tomcal.

All the best!

• Members

Hi, Tom:

Sad to hear you are forced into early retirement. But Hey, you had a great run, being there during the heydays! I am full of envies ;) your posts are both entertaining and informational. Very much appreciated.

Best wishes.

Guest tomcal

To everyone that posted above, Thank You so much! You don't know how nice it was to read what you all wrote and please know that I sincerely appreciate it!

• Members

As someone who has benefited from your kindness and your wisdom TomCal I am devastated by this news. As a friend of 20 years I hope I can be of assistance to you if you need. You have my phone number-just call if you need anything.

Your positive energy as well as your stamina gives me hope that this illness is not going to have an easy time getting the better of you.

Thank you.

Guest Hoover42

Tom!

I've always enjoyed your posts here, and it was such a pleasure to meet you during one of your visits to DC. I still have some photos you shared with me from that visit and they're some of my favorites ^_^

You've been our Ambassador to Rio for so many years. I can't think of Rio without being reminded of you.

Getting old is not for wimps, isn't that how the saying goes?

• Members

I was really sad to read that post of yours, Tom. I do hope the illness will be as non-progressing as it can be ! And I am sure that you will continue to fight against it with the same energy and courage that you showed since you were aware that you had it.

It has been a pleasure going with you to Prague, Brazil and Fort Lauderdale. We had some identical taste as for boys and we shared a lot of boys together (not at the same time lol) in many places. I had great time travelling with you, since you were knowledgeable, good company and easy going. I wish you the best of luck. Next time I will enter the Mezzaninu sauna, the Meio Mundo sauna or Boardwalk or Monty=Little Temple in Prague, I will have a big thought for you. Thanks for having permitted to me - and to a lot of readers of this forum - to discover the Mezzaninu sauna. Best of luck ! Paulo

• Members

Tomcal, I hope it's one of those illnesses that our rapid medical advances will overtake very soon. Always love your posts and part of the pleasure was never knowing when one was going to pop up. With luck, it won't be long before we see another. Something tells me that, even in retirement, you will probably be getting a lot more action than most of us. Anything you care to share, I'll be here.

old%2Blady.jpg