floridarob

Just Back From Havana....

Floridarob and I have been friends for close to 14 years and have shared apartments on several trips over the years, not only is he a easy guy to travel with but being fluent in both Spanish and Portuguese and one of the funnier guys I know! he develops relationships with the guys that is elusive to those of us who are not fluent and really enhances his experiences!(even if the guys he brought back for overnights ended up in my bedroom in the middle of the night during our last trip to Rio!) :lol:
and I can tell you his reports are 100%accurate

• Members

Could you kindly share some tips on where to find gay friendly apts in Havana? Where is Bimbom? I wish I found this forum before I went to Havana a few years back. Stayed in a resort, mostly just drinking and swimming. Not speaking Spanish is really a bummer.

• Members

Muchas gracias, FloridaRob! ...enjoyed reading and viewing and contemplating my next visit. I've gotten some great information here as well as given some after my second visit last March in spite of my limited time there. I yearn to return sometime in 2016.

A good acquaintance of mine who lives in England states firmly that some of the "biggest cocks" from his perspective await one in Cuba. He's been a few times...

Guest lurkerspeaks

I have a "basic" question about Havana, and sorry if it was already covered and I overlooked it...

In Havana, is there a sauna scene or a gogo bar scene from which to meet/pickup the boys, or is it done by the internet (grindr, etc) or is it an old fashioned "street pickup" scene which affords little to no security?

Lurker, according to Floridarob the internet(and cell service is for the most part) is non existent. Although wifi is starting to make a appearance. rob and I were talking last night about going in Jan. and he said basically you will be cut off from communication while there, don't bring your laptop/cell phone. the boys are found for the most part at the seawall the "Malecon" Rob was saying last night that there were up to 80+ guys there working! Hopefully he will see this soon and comment. he is the expert he been going there , I think, since 2004/5 you also have to use private apts, as no locals are allowed in the hotels.

• Members

FloridaRob-

Thank you so much for the helpful info and for the eye candy. A few questions, if you don't mind. I haven't been to Cuba since before the recent rapprochement with the USA:

1.) I know that Cubans are allowed to enter hotels or even stay in them as guests. Do you have the register your Cuban guests or do they just need to show their ID at the front desk?

2.) What are the black market exchange rates like these days? Everyone knows that the dual currency (regular pesos & dollar-linked convertible pesos) is going away soon and those with hoards of CUC are desperate to turn them into hard currency before the day arrives when Raul says, " as of Monday morning your CUC are worthless except for 300CUC per person". Again, what rates have you gotten?

3.) MasterCard and AMEX have said that cardholders can use their cards in Cuba. Is anyone in Cuba accepting them yet or is it still a cash only situation for Americans?

4.) Having gone to Cuba so many times for so many years, do you have any suggestions on where to find boys in Santiago or other cities?

• Members

Things between the U.S. and Cuba are looking friendlier and friendlier. U.S. Mail service to begin soon.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/12/world/americas/cuba-mail-flights-from-us-to-begin.html?mabReward=A4&moduleDetail=recommendations-0&action=click&contentCollection=Travel&region=Footer&module=WhatsNext&version=WhatsNext&contentID=WhatsNext&src=recg&pgtype=article

Also see this regarding traveling to Cuba - at the present time:

Q. Can any American citizen visit Cuba now?

A. As long as the trip falls within one of 12 purposes, Americans can go to Cuba without having to apply for permission, in the form of a license, from the government. The 12 categories of legal travel include visits to close relatives, academic programs for which students receive credits, professional research, journalistic or religious activities and participation in public performances or sports competitions. As Robert Muse, a Washington-based lawyer who specializes in U.S.-Cuba related law, put it: If somebody wishes to travel to Cuba and they “can’t think up a way to fit into those categories, they are not trying.”

Based on the above NYTimes article, a trip (now) to Cuba would not be difficult nor would it be illegal.

-

• Members

Consult these two sources for some viable information: http://cubaguiagay.blogspot.co.uk. There is an area where you can click for the site to be translated from Espanol to English. The second site offers casa particulars by city and area in terms of Havana. http://www.cuba-junky.com There are a few gay ones, the most popular one from previous reading was the one in which Ojibear stayed. There are reviews accompanying the descriptions.

When I was in Havana during the latter 80s or very early 90s, I stayed at the Hotel Libre, the former Hilton. It was virtually impossible for visitors (male/female) to enter the hotel, let alone accompany one to her/his room. In March of this year, my visitor had to be announced via the desk personnel ringing my room. I noticed the same thing happened when I guy was waiting for a young woman. In this case as I left the elevator, I spotted him, a super-gorgeous young man who I thought was my independent guide who had come to the hotel to seek me. Well, I walked toward him and called out his name. To my surprise and disappointment, he was not the guy I was expecting. I went and sat in one of the very much used antique chairs that was in the lobby and began my wait for my guide.

As I waited a young lady arrived and met up with her very hot friend. (Also, at the elevator stood a man guarding against visitors entering the rooms of guests (male/female). This was at both the Hotel National and my hotel the Presidente.)

I have a connection regarding rooms being rented via the hour/day. Frank's contact information was included in my report which I wrote earlier this year.

FloridaRob-

Thank you so much for the helpful info and for the eye candy. A few questions, if you don't mind. I haven't been to Cuba since before the recent rapprochement with the USA:

1.) I know that Cubans are allowed to enter hotels or even stay in them as guests. Do you have the register your Cuban guests or do they just need to show their ID at the front desk?

2.) What are the black market exchange rates like these days? Everyone knows that the dual currency (regular pesos & dollar-linked convertible pesos) is going away soon and those with hoards of CUC are desperate to turn them into hard currency before the day arrives when Raul says, " as of Monday morning your CUC are worthless except for 300CUC per person". Again, what rates have you gotten?

3.) MasterCard and AMEX have said that cardholders can use their cards in Cuba. Is anyone in Cuba accepting them yet or is it still a cash only situation for Americans?

4.) Having gone to Cuba so many times for so many years, do you have any suggestions on where to find boys in Santiago or other cities?

I've always stayed at apartments... last trip was the nicest pace I've stayed and the owner was gay...however he didn't like the number of boys my friend was bringing back nightly and had a talk with him to slow down... because prostitution is illegal and envious neighbors can complain to the police/immigration and cause problems.

http://www.myproudhavana.com/

I bought Euros in Mexico and got a decent price to buy them and Cuba doesn't "penalize" them like dollars and take 10%...In the past I've used Canadian Dollars and Mexican Pesos but Euros netted the best result.

The black market was paying usually 90 cuban cents to 1 USD but I found someone giving 96 cents, so that was the best I could find.

Credit Cards/ATM cards still not working from what I was told (I didn't try though) my banks also told me they're not working contrary to what the treasury dept has released it seems it's up to the banks to make applications which most (none?) have done yet. I have a Mexican ATM in case of emergencies.... but could always have someone Western Union money would be another back up plan.

I've been to other cities but Havana is where the action is in my opinion.... why do gays keep searching for greener pastures,lol

One of the boys told me that they can be "registered" into hotels now but the owner of my apartment said that if a boy goes to a lot of hotels with a lot of tourist and their Carnet gets red flagged, they can be locked up on that basis for being a prostitute.... apartments are SUPPOSED to register them too and report to immigration but most will only write their info down and only put it in the book if an inspector comes by while the boy in in the apt with you..... they don't want un needed problems with the government either.

• Members

when i prepared for my january trip of columbia, i have read this article. but i have also teste youtube on cuba,

i have found gay cuban beach that has a name mi cajito. recordings show, that a visit would be interesting.

as well as gay disco el divino. recordings are great.

if the recordings are true, than gay life is much better than we write here. i have not been to cuba yet, can someone comment on those 2 locations....