TotallyOz

Would you Recommend for your family to visit Thailand?

Would you recommend your family to visit Thailand?   

24 members have voted

1. 1. Would you recommend your family to visit Thailand?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

I had a conversation today that got me to thinking. I said I doubted that the majority of guys traveling to LOS for sex will stop coming. They will keep going to the place they love. However, the country has tried to make families the cornerstone of the tourist industry. When asked today if I would bring my family over here in the next year or two, my answer was a resounding NO. No way would I risk them getting stuck over here or heaven forbid caught up in some other conflict. I would not recommend this for anyone with a family. What about you? Even if you still want to continue to travel to LOS, would you recommend your close family to come?

I voted that I would recommend my family to come here. First, the only one who would be likely to come would be my brother and I don't see anything any more dangerous for him than it is for me, and I am not alarmed in any way.

I do think, however, people who don't live in Thailand and were considering Thailand for a holiday would be very likely to choose someplace else to go. Right now I doubt that many more people would consider a holiday here than they would a holiday in Baghdad. There are plenty of places in this world to go on a holiday besides Thailand. I have a feeling that is the choice most families would make for the foreseeable future.

It's very sad to see, but I think the tourist industry is effectively dead, or at least severely injured, for quite some time to come.

You wouldn't know it at the gay beach area, though. Today it was packed.

Guest luvthai

I voted no because Thailand is my paradise and my refuge and my family would not understand why I feel this way. It sounds selfish but this is the only thing I do for myself and the only place I feel truly at home.

Guest laurence

I wouldn't recommend anyone coming to Thailand, family or otherwise. I have suggested Thailand to gay friends and they spurned my suggestion. Those in the know will find Thailand without "recommendations" from anyone.

I was talking to some one who works in the tourism industry today. He believes that once the airports reopen this will quickly be forgotten unless there is shooting in the streets and dead bodies at the airport. I am not so optimistic as he is. But he has lots of people booked now who are still trying to get in so maybe he knows more than I do.

Personally until the political situation gets settled to some degree I would not recommend anyone come here if they will really need to get out without a potential hassle. Of course I have lived through the current problems. If I were on the outside looking to come here instead it's possible I would feel differently.

Generally I think the tourism areas are safe. But with the two sides so polarized I think the tensions will continue to go on for some time. And as much as I love the people here, I think there are plenty of other places with great people to visit.

I suppose that if you are just a sex tourist there is nowhere better. But with the decline in tourism that I believe will happen there will be more desperate situations and more crime. And some of that I think will inevitably be directed to the rich guys who come here for cheap sex.

I was staying at the JW Marriott for 5 nights this week and it was full of families who were here and could not get back on time and the kids missed school and mom and pop were missing work. In today's economy, it is not a good idea to tell your boss that you will be two weeks late in order to stay on your holiday.

For me, I love it here and would still come. But, I would not want family members who have responsibilities and school and jobs to depend on this country until they get their shit together.

Guest laurence

I wouldn't recommend Thailand under any circumstances to anyone as a place to visit. The only reason I come here is for the sex. Do I sound bitter or cruel? Well, no. Unless someone has ample money to spend on tourism I believe there are many other places in the world which should be seen before Thailand. Of course if you are a world traveler and want to see it all, then Thailand should be on your list ahead of some other places like Somalia, the Falkland Islands, North Korea, etc.

I voted yes because, I think, Thailand has some beautiful places to visit and the culture is amazing!

Not every single male visits for sex. Some of us have monogamous relationships and visit for the food, sights and culture.

I can understand the draw of cheap sex, cheap alcohol and cheap cigarettes. For me, I prefer a non smoking hotel or room and would love to see a show in a bar that patrons didn't smoke.

I know I'm in the minority but I wanted to add my thoughts.

Happy Holidays!

Jason

Guest xiandarkthorne

I voted 'NO' too for the following reasons -

1. My family would expect me to come along as a fullt-ime tour guide and troubleshooter/bargain seeker and that is the last thing I want to do on a holiday (okay, so I'm selfish).

2. If my family came without me, I'd be worried sick about everyone (...and a worrywart...)

3. Since my family knows about my gay sex holidays in Thailand, I wouldn't have a problem bringing guys back to my room...but I absolutely refuse to justify my choice of sex partner every night (some members of my family insist on picking out 'nice boys' for me...they always choose slim, twinky and pretty I don't know why when I have always preferred manly and meaty - mature, too, if I can get it...)

4. They insist on flying in (Haha! That's one problem solved for now...) while I prefer a nice leisurely train (I have frequently scored on the overnight journey) or bus ride where I might end up sitting next to someone suitable and available (it's happened once or twice...)

Xian

Guest laurence
Not every single male visits for sex. Some of us have monogamous relationships and visit for the food, sights and culture.

I can understand the draw of cheap sex, cheap alcohol and cheap cigarettes.

Jason

I agree about the cheap cigarettes! But the only cheap thing about the alcohol is the quality of it, especially the wine. As for sex, I spend a small fortune on keeping the bf happy and also keeping myself and others happy.

But really, just how many of us would come to Thailand if not for the "scene" in some way or the other. If there were no sex there would be no gay scene in Bangkok or no Boyztown and Sunee Plaza in Pattaya, likewise in Phuket or Chaingmai. No "birds of a feather" expats to populate the scene and make us the community that we are. No forums like this one! And if we are in a monogamous relationship with a Thai, just how would we have met that special person? I am not disagreeing with Jason that the food, sights and culture are relevant but not the prime motivator.

I would wait a few weeks and then definitely would recc. family and friends visit this beautiful country.

Americans have short memories. Not so long ago we were having race riots in the street and police were unable to stop looting etc.

Did the world stop visiting the USA . Of course they did for a short while but then things returned to normal

Although the powers here have not done a good job in OUR EYES of handling the problem, it appears the problem is about to end. We have all been experts on how things should have been handled. But it was not our responsibility and we really did not have all the

facts. There has been a minimum of bloodshed and things will return to normal.

Outside the airports things have been completely normal through this whole ordeal.

If you were one of the people trapped here , I am sure the bad feelings will persisit if you had to get home. But even those people will be left with some wonderful memories after they get over their anger.

Depends on where in Thailand. I would easily recommend Chiang Mai. It is a great place to visit for all, including families. The good news is that flights go in and out of Chiang Mai without going to Bangkok. The bad news is that it is China Airlines. I am stuck in Taiwan right now on the fourth schedule change this crappy airline has made.