Lucky

The Boys in The Band

• Members

It's been 50 years since Matt Crowley's creation The Boys in The Band took to the stage. I saw the play and the movie, although much later. I was excited that the 50th

Anniversary production would include the top gay actors of our time. I bought my ticket well in advance. But soon after performances began, I started hearing that the revival

wasn't all that much, that the actors were miscast, that the play represented a bad time in gay history, that it had been defiled by combining the acts into one, and how could men be

expected to sit for 110 minutes with no pee break?

Last Saturday I received my answers. My seat was great, the show was wonderful, the actors were just fine, and the play duly represented a time in our

past that wasn't that much different than our now.

Specifically, was the play too bitchy? Anyone who posts on gay message boards would realize that we continue to act much as our gay predecessors did.\ We have bitchy moments and we have loving moments. Trying to meld the two continues, but it's not always easy.

So, I am glad that I saw the play. Yes, I paid a bit much as the play was later discounted. But my seat was just great.

As a side note, I took a chance that This Ain't No Disco would be worthwhile. Shortly after I paid $89 each for 2 tickets, it was on TDF for $33. Although it contained some wonderful voices and fascinating effects and lighting, I still don't know what it was about. Something having to do with Studio 54 or not.

• Members

Matt starts out changing his clothes, so at the least audience members see him in his underwear, but from my seat a mirror gave me a quick look at his butt. He has a nice butt and a nice bulge. Once the play gets going, he has less of a role than I expected. He is clearly the handsomest actor, but his role is rather unimportant, or so I thought.

• Members
On 7/3/2018 at 11:37 PM, Lucky said:

Matt starts out changing his clothes

Matt Bomer is delicious looking naked. Not other worldly, but a very nice normal for a smallish, slender guy.

Today, the NY Times has a very interesting discussion on the play:

"Boys in the Band," a generational divide?

On 8/2/2018 at 1:49 PM, RockHardNYC said:

Today, the NY Times has a very interesting discussion on the play:

"Boys in the Band," a generational divide?

Thank you.

My 25-and-under acquaintances who know this work find it an aesthetically polished, yet abhorrent, thing.

Like an accurate but 'fond' black reminiscence of Jim Crow.

• Members
6 hours ago, AdamSmith said:

Thank you.

My 25-and-under acquaintances who know this work find it an aesthetically polished, yet abhorrent, thing.

Like an accurate but 'fond' black reminiscence of Jim Crow.

So do they wish to abolish it similar to those who are trying to change history now by denying it ever happened or could be recognized as simply history?

Best regards,

RA1

• Members
1 hour ago, RA1 said:

do they wish to abolish it similar to those who are trying to change history now by denying it ever happened or could be recognized as simply history?

Why does every issue have to be debated in the EXTREME?

While not "25-and-under," I didn't abolish it, I simply refused to see it (or invest in it). Much to the dismay of several actor friends who performed in it.

The play focuses on some serious angry gay men from the 70's, particularly gay men living in New York City. I didn't know any guys like this growing up, so when I originally saw this play, I kind of doubted they existed. And then I moved to NYC and discovered the truth.

There was good reason why many gay men were self-haters back then. But they were not my crowd. And to this day, I have no patience for this type of gay guy. Hence, my reason for passing on this dreary, over-the-top gay play.

Hateful addict gays tend to behave abhorrently. At least we know much more about addiction these days.

8 hours ago, RA1 said:

So do they wish to abolish it similar to those who are trying to change history now by denying it ever happened or could be recognized as simply history?

Best regards,

RA1

Obviously not. They are transfixed to see how it was back then, but immensely relieved that times have moved on.

• Members

I was merely stating an attitude that seems to have some resonance these days, not accusing anyone of anything.  I have  thought many times whether I would like to relive the "good old days" or not.  Usually I just realize it is not possible anyway and move on (as you suggest).

Best regards,

RA1

2 hours ago, RA1 said:

I was merely stating an attitude that seems to have some resonance these days, not accusing anyone of anything.  I have  thought many times whether I would like to relive the "good old days" or not.  Usually I just realize it is not possible anyway and move on (as you suggest).

Best regards,

RA1

I should elaborate that I agree completely with your accurate condemnation of the many PC movements about for many years now to deny factual history.

"Political correctness" as a thing for its own sake makes me wretch.

19 hours ago, AdamSmith said:

I should elaborate that I agree completely with your accurate condemnation of the many PC movements about for many years now to deny factual history.

"Political correctness" as a thing for its own sake makes me wretch.

It is destroying 'liberal' education in America today.

From whence any possible solution will come, I cannot deduce.

• Members
12 hours ago, AdamSmith said:

It is destroying 'liberal' education in America today.

From whence any possible solution will come, I cannot deduce.

I think a conservative could say the exact same thing.  Personally I can see the other or another side of any issue and strive to give some of them a voice.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members
On 9/2/2018 at 10:18 PM, Lucky said:

RockHardNYC would fit perfectly on the BITB stage!

I am a man of the theater. So I can't say I disagree. I certainly know how to play hateful and bitchy. I've learned from some of the best. For an actor, or someone who needs to act in their profession, those roles are the most fun to play. But in reality, hateful and bitchy is an awful life. Wouldn't wish it on anybody.

• Members

Speaking of hateful and bitchy...

One of my favorite lines in the The Help is when Aibileen Clark finally confronts the racist, hateful, shit-eating-bitch Hilly Holbrook:

"All you do is scare and lie to try and get what you want. You're a godless woman. Ain't you tired, Miss Hilly? Ain't you tired?"

That's why I have no patience for Drag Race. Not one second of any of the Housewives. Hateful and bitchy are way to UGLY for me to enjoy.