TotallyOz

Timothee Chalamet HOT HOT HOT Summer Nights

• Members

It is amazing how young Timothee looks when his hair is cut so short. He almost could pass for 15 in this scene. I loved the way the scene was filmed, but the industry is currently flooded with terrible sound technicians. Even with headphones, I could barely understand a word the characters said. I've been hating that about modern movies. I've had my hearing checked, so I know it's the films.

42 minutes ago, RockHardNYC said:

the industry is currently flooded with terrible sound technicians. Even with headphones, I could barely understand a word the characters said. I've been hating that about modern movies. I've had my hearing checked, so I know it's the films.

No question. I have a pair of volume-adjustable hearing aids, and under that amplification much contemporary film sound just gets more visibly (audibly) terrible.

Come to think, in NYC I used to sit and drink with a guy who was the sound tech for Martha Stewart's TV show, and he remarked the same thing you did: What has happened to sound production in film? He didn't know either, except the evident technical inattention and ineptness of too many of today's directors.

...Makes this worth a repost...

• Members
On 7/3/2018 at 10:04 AM, RockHardNYC said:

It is amazing how young Timothee looks when his hair is cut so short. He almost could pass for 15 in this scene. I loved the way the scene was filmed, but the industry is currently flooded with terrible sound technicians. Even with headphones, I could barely understand a word the characters said. I've been hating that about modern movies. I've had my hearing checked, so I know it's the films.

On 7/3/2018 at 12:18 PM, Lucky said:

This happens a lot. I use closed-captioning for all British films and even many American ones. The Man in the Orange Shirt was inaudible at times.

I'm also finding the need to watch more movies (and English series and movies) with subtitles.  I wonder why this is such a problem.  Is it just that people speak with less diction these days?

• Members
11 minutes ago, BigK said:

I wonder why this is such a problem.

Sound engineering is a tough union to get into. They like to keep the job openings to their own tribe. IMO, the newbies aren't as smart as their elders, or they don't care as much. This is a generalization, of course, and there are many exceptions.

I love reading screenplays. When I watch favorite films for the second time, I leave subtitles on. I love clinging to the words and studying what an actor does with them.

• Members
On 7/3/2018 at 11:04 AM, RockHardNYC said:

Oh I so agree. I watch all TV and movie releases on TV with closed caption. The CC thingamajigs in theatres are so finicky, and unless it is a film with subtitles it can be a struggle to understand the audio.

• Members

I just saw the 2-minute Funny or Die mashup of CMBYN, Call Me By Your Twins, about 5 times. Laugh Out Loud Hilarious. If you do not have Amazon Prime, just google a pirated Youtube clip of it. The creators even found and integrated a few seconds of DeVito messily eating a peach on Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia. The last few seconds is from Junior, DeVito doing Schwarzenegger's ultrasound.

• Members
On 7/6/2018 at 12:19 AM, Theolover said:

I have watched Call me by your name 5 times and it is probably one of my favorite films ever.

As an investor, we're very happy to hear that. I love, love, love the film, too.

2 hours ago, Riobard said:

I just saw the 2-minute Funny or Die mashup of CMBYN... Laugh Out Loud Hilarious.

Thanks for the heads-up. I am a Prime member. Will catch it when I get a chance.