Badboy81

Badboy Rio October 2018 Recap

Lapa on Saturday night and early Sunday morning was very festive...which was surprising because the elections were the next day

Went to Salguiero Samba School....Colors are red and white...

Not sure what was going on that night but I was in the WHITEST place I have ever been in Rio...my friend that took me noted there were tons of foreigners there watching the school practice...(I didn't know white Brazilians were into samba....even got a cute video of an older white guy who reminded me a Beverly Leslie dancing samba)

To be clear, most of the performers were black but the audience was almost completely white which I took note because I have been to about 4-5 samba school practices as well as the big show that is put on annually before the actual Carnival and the audiences are either black or mixed Brazilians...

Practice was exceptional...tons of video footage...No eye candy like I normally see at the samba schools...Bummed...

Went back to Lapa...tons of cuties there...took some pics...had more drinks...Took the bus back to Copa around 3 in the morning...way past my bedtime

Sunday...the day I was leaving, I went to 117....extremely slow....a lot of regulars were there just hanging out and relaxing but not that many boys...I left around 6:15 to head to the airport without having any sessions...

The weather was decent on Sunday...Sunny but extremely windy on the beach

Sidenote-Grindr was jumping with locals as well as payboys...great selection but Im past meeting somebody for pay on Grindr...Ill just go the saunas or having my regulars come to the apartment...

Overall really good trip...all missions were accomplished

Ill be back at the end of December AND booked a trip for March while there...

• Members

I’ll be there in March as well!   I’m still debating on where to book an Airbnb.  I saw a gorgeous and affordable place in saint Theresa?   I’m not sure off the top of my head but the area looked cute. Or possibly in Copa or Impanema.    I’m planning on a couple of weeks there and I look forward to long long walks on copacabana and impanema.    

• Members

Don't want  to go too far off topic here,  but Santa Teresa is great, if a little isolated, panoramic views of the city, I head up there every week to do laps in some friends'  pool LOL,  or for the high quality local cuisine at restaurants in the Largo de Guimaraes area.   New B & B's are coming to  market all the time, with folks opening up their distinctive homes.  Fairly close to 117 as you head down to Gloria by way of Candido Mendes, but a ways off from the Zona Sul (Copa/Ipanema).

• Members

As appealing as Santa Teresa may sound, if you’re not a seasoned Rio traveler, you might want to avoid staying in Santa Yetesa. It’s surrounded by several favelas that are very easy to unknowingly wind in by foot or by car. Thr side streets are notoriously unsafe after dark. “An Italian motorcyclist was shot dead after he rode into the Prazeres favela near Rio’s cobbled Santa Teresa neighbourhood last December. An Argentine woman died of gunshot wounds in February, after a carload of tourists made the same mistake.”

• Members
19 hours ago, SolaceSoul said:

.... if you’re not a seasoned Rio traveler, you might want to avoid staying in Santa Yetesa.

Fair enough,  I posted from the perspective of a long-term resident in Rio.  As mentioned I go to Santa Teresa every week.    As far as a newbie is concerned, I agree that while he should probably not actually stay there on his maiden trip(s) to Rio, that he should still absolutely visit Santa Teresa during the day, in particular the Largo de Guimaraes area.

• Members
14 minutes ago, floridarob said:

I've chosen an AirBnb in Santa Teresa, not far from 117...tired of Copa and Ipanema.

Hi, did you see the caution warning about Santa Teresa three posts above?

I know you are a seasoned traveler.

Having so many favelas within walking distance of where you will sleep and reside for your time in Brazil seems a bit dangerous.  

Just a thought.

• Members

I loved Santa Teresa, its location, its ambience, and what it has to offer. 

...went with my personal carioca guide and walked all over the place and dined in a quaint restaurant; ...went to the museums and other venues of interest and was able to ride up and back because the cable car ran then.  A few years later was that horrible accident which sidelined these cars for a few years. 

There's a restaurant made famous here by Samantha (the former traveling woman who had a television show.  It's the one with the modified-looking huts and commands one hell of a view of the city from that vantage point.)  I went there in 2011 alone and loved it.  While I walked to hail some type of transportation (the cable system was being repaired)-- three or more drivers stopped to ask for directions.  Because I do not speak very much BP,  I could not help.  Some spoke Ingles as well. ...got thanks and obrigados and lots of smiles.

Santa Teresa was fantastic during the day time!  Guess it would be fine in various parts at night, but advice has been given throughout this forum regarding night travel in Rio de janeiro.