mvan1

Visiting Brazil - are we crazy? Brazil has changed!

• Members
11 hours ago, Walker said:

Some people in America actually take risks helping strangers, so perhaps in Brazil too, but I don't really know since I don't  know Brazilian culture that much.

18 minutes ago, Studulike said:

Please credit me with some sense ! They were wearing flip flops and shorts and nothing else and if I wasn't sure if the situation I would have reacted differently ! I have lived all over the world and spend 48 weeks of the year travelling to wild and wacky places for work and more than capable of judging a situation thanks. I think some people in here need to stick to the keys ! 

11 hours ago, Walker said:

Some people in America actually take risks helping strangers, so perhaps in Brazil too, but I don't really know since I don't  know Brazilian culture that much.

Given there were so many of them stood around it would have been nice! It wasn't packed at this point of the day and they could see quite  clearly what was happening! If they want to keep enjoying the profits of tourism maybe they need to think I about it. Obviously wouldn't expect anyone to take a bullet but for ths petty crime then they should take responsibility too and help out. There were some  big guys stood around 

• Members
14 hours ago, mark123 said:

With all due respect,  you didn't actually expect the locals to put themselves at serious risk by running to the rescue of a hapless stranger, let alone a gringo??

The attack took place between cars parked at right angles to the kurb. I am tall about 186cm. From a distance an American gent saw me between the cars and ran to my aid. By that time the attackers had wandered off. He told me that when he saw me between the cars he realised what was happening. I pointed to the group who continued to stand like stuffed dummies staring at me. His exact words were”sir they won’t help, they won’t help”. He told me he lived in Rio and in proceeding months he had been robbed 3 times the last occasion by an assailant carrying a gun.

I can understand people not wishing to be involved while an armed attack is taking place but failure to assist after the attackers have fled shows a certain weakness. It would not happen in my country or yours. I wish you could see the looks on their faces. I was literally screaming at the top of my lungs for help and even after the event did not move a centimetre. There was from memory about 8 to 10 of them in this group totally uncaring. I hope this narrative adds some perspective.

• Members
2 hours ago, Studulike said:

Please credit me with some sense ! They were wearing flip flops and shorts and nothing else and if I wasn't sure if the situation I would have reacted differently ! I have lived all over the world and spend 48 weeks of the year travelling to wild and wacky places for work and more than capable of judging a situation thanks. I think some people in here need to stick to the keys ! 

I'd like to repeat that I have nothing against you, but i wanna use your experience to tell people to don't do anything you did...Many people need to watch less Rambo movies, cause shit here in Brazil happens even to people living here from when they were born. Experience has nothing to do and doesn't make you bulletproof. And unexperienced people as much as the experienced ones often tend to underestimate the risks and to misjudge situations.

Like the 25 yrs old MMA fighter who some months ago reacted to an assault got shot in the head by the older friend of the flip-flop wearing 16 yrs old thief in Tijuca who was keeping the situation under control and who came from around the corner to save his friend from the beatdown he was receiving.

That's why most of the people won't help you if you get mugged. Most of the people would never risk to get shot to save a gringo from losing his DSLR camera or iPhone, there are too many weapons and too many people willing to kill you for no reasons in Brazil...bad combination.

Edited by likeohmygod

• Members

Oh I never suggested or would suggest people take my line of action i was merely reply to a request about what happened ! 

I'm also really pleased you have nothing against me as you don't know me. What a condescending comment and sums up the opinion of made of you ! How damn right rude ! 

Someone attempted to rob me at knife point when I lived in Morocco and they also came of worse and as for need to watch less Rambo well ! The streets of any major city are paved with danger and what most are forgetting about Brazil the majority ( not all) but the majority of violent crime is between gangs in the favelas and the pickpocket/ snatch thieves are just that ! Yes there will be exceptions but England at the moment is over run with knife crime and what I don't want to see from these over dramatized posts is people put off coming to such an amazing country ! Best thing for most people would be to get an uber app ! It's safe quick and inexpensive and half the price of regular taxis. 

Edited by Studulike

• Members
10 hours ago, sydneyboy1 said:

The attack took place between cars parked at right angles to the kurb. I am tall about 186cm. From a distance an American gent saw me between the cars and ran to my aid. By that time the attackers had wandered off. He told me that when he saw me between the cars he realised what was happening. I pointed to the group who continued to stand like stuffed dummies staring at me. His exact words were”sir they won’t help, they won’t help”. He told me he lived in Rio and in proceeding months he had been robbed 3 times the last occasion by an assailant carrying a gun.

I can understand people not wishing to be involved while an armed attack is taking place but failure to assist after the attackers have fled shows a certain weakness. It would not happen in my country or yours. I wish you could see the looks on their faces. I was literally screaming at the top of my lungs for help and even after the event did not move a centimetre. There was from memory about 8 to 10 of them in this group totally uncaring. I hope this narrative adds some perspective.

You have repeated this story on the site several times, and yet after reading your clarification here,  it is still not clear just what type of ' assistance' you were looking for,  that the locals somehow begrudged you.  

I can only reinforce what @likeohmygod has stated.   Neither you nor your missing saviour would have benefited from retaliation in your favor - quite the contrary.  As he states:   

- "That's why most of the people won't help you if you get mugged. Most of the people would never risk to get shot to save a gringo from losing his DSLR camera or iPhone" ....

Not then, and not now.  

Edited by mark123

• Members

Overdrama is a thing... Facts are another. 

Comparing the violence in Rio to the one in other cities is kinda stupid. The other sections of this forum are so full of reports of people getting mugged in London, NYC, Prague... :D

The fact that it's a so beautiful country doesn't reduce the risks...

That doesn't mean that I am willing to move away from Brazil despite the last year's huge increase in violence 

Edited by likeohmygod

• Members
2 hours ago, mark123 said:

You have repeated this story on the site several times, and yet after reading your clarification here,  it is still not clear just what type of ' assistance' you were looking for,  that the locals somehow begrudged you.  

I can only reinforce what @likeohmygod has stated.   Neither you nor your missing saviour would have benefited from retaliation in your favor - quite the contrary.  As he states:   

- "That's why most of the people won't help you if you get mugged. Most of the people would never risk to get shot to save a gringo from losing his DSLR camera or iPhone" ....

Not then, and not now.  

My point is don’t be deluded your safe because an area is “busy”. I have told my story here, on the old Gay Travel Brazil site and TripAdvisor forums. I offer no apology. My motivation has been to prevent my experience happening to others. The reaction of people has been mixed. Some have appreciated the gesture and expressed empathy and appreciated the advice, some have shared their own unfortunate experience, some have trotted out the tired line that it can happen anywhere and I’ve had a few clowns who accuse me of being on out and out liar. 

The Internet and in particular forums such as this are in valuable medium for intelligent thoughtful people to share experiences. It is also unfortunately a vehicle for trolls, the negative, the cynical and obsessive pedants who wish to deconstruct a story to suit their own bitter twisted view of the world. Let’s leave it at that.

Edited by sydneyboy1

• Members
4 hours ago, sydneyboy1 said:

My point is don’t be deluded your safe because an area is “busy”.

This is the key or main point of his reporting the event.  A busy area does not guaranty safety from muggers!

Street people/muggers know they can likely do their deed almost anywhere and at any time without being hindered.

Unfortunately, muggings have increased in Brazil, mainly because of the poor economy. 

Many local citizens are without work (and without money) because there are too few jobs available.  People need money to eat and to pay rent for themselves and for their family.

Mugging someone on the street is a fast way to get money when there is no work or paycheck.

Just remember this and be cautious without being paranoid. 

• Members
6 hours ago, sydneyboy1 said:

My point is don’t be deluded your safe because an area is “busy”. I have told my story here, on the old Gay Travel Brazil site and TripAdvisor forums. I offer no apology. My motivation has been to prevent my experience happening to others. The reaction of people has been mixed. Some have appreciated the gesture and expressed empathy and appreciated the advice, some have shared their own unfortunate experience, some have trotted out the tired line that it can happen anywhere and I’ve had a few clowns who accuse me of being on out and out liar. 

The Internet and in particular forums such as this are in valuable medium for intelligent thoughtful people to share experiences. It is also unfortunately a vehicle for trolls, the negative, the cynical and obsessive pedants who wish to deconstruct a story to suit their own bitter twisted view of the world. Let’s leave it at that.

Did you just not contradict yourself. You say the Internet and in particular forums such as this are invaluable for intelligent thoughtful people yet you pull one sentence from a whole piece and dis it..... It can happen anywhere and like yourself I was sharing experiences which I have many over a hell of a lot of countries and you try and shut it down with let's leave it there ! As bad as a troll ! And people wonder why I pay to fuck straight men rather than have a nice steady gay boyfriend...... The answer sits in some of these threads. 

• Members
10 hours ago, likeohmygod said:

Overdrama is a thing... Facts are another. 

Comparing the violence in Rio to the one in other cities is kinda stupid. The other sections of this forum are so full of reports of people getting mugged in London, NYC, Prague... :D

The fact that it's a so beautiful country doesn't reduce the risks...

That doesn't mean that I am willing to move away from Brazil despite the last year's huge increase in violence 

I can see you clutching at your Pearl's! Maybe some of us are just a bit more savvy and a bit less scared ! Your knowledge and experience of Brazil is appreciated but you are not the only queen to venture into the world, all be it a small part of it, in search of rough trade ! It's how we deal with situations and know our own abilities that is also important. Mate I was abducted on the back of a motor bike into the depths of dingiest Tangier and marginally escaped rape, and before you reiterate Rambo it's no movie script but one day I will write a book and the blogg is coming shortly. Please learn to accept that others are not all the same as you and have valid experiences and information to share! 

• Members

I don't understand why so many people have to second guess the experience of another. We all react differently depending on the situation, and with crime there is often no time to think before you act. Why not let people tell their stories without all the judgement?

• Members

Not second guessing anything and at the same time not saying that Rio has an unbearable crime rate...just saying don't do that or this.

From the moment one experience becomes public, commenting a reaction which could produce worse results than the main cause, is something which should be done, in a forum where we've spent so much time highlighting the "don't react" thing.

It's always a personal opinion...in the end someone can do whatever is believed to be better. Not prohibiting someone to go around Rio armed with a gun to engage a potential thief in a gunshot. Just saying that the experiences of a man can be misinterpreted by others (and also by the person who has lived them, since not necessarily something that has nearly killed you in the past, will not kill you the next time that happens).