TotallyOz

Thailand may be in for major political upheaval

I arrive a couple days after the election.  I’ve talked to friends if they thought there may be any issues that week and everyone says things will be fine.   Now this morning everyone’s thoughts have changed to it may be a very rough week.    PM Prayut wants at all costs keep his job.   But he need to go.    I remember one coup sitting in the bars watching a few tanks rolling down the street.  People barely look up.  Now the last few years political rally’s have become a bit more violent.  The next month is going to be really interesting.  

• Members
Well looks like I will be in BKK on election day for my first ever visit to Thailand.  I've already booked the flights and hotel.  I wonder if I should reconsider.  I am an experienced international traveller but mostly to Latin America and Europe.  Election Day in and of itself doesn't bother me.  I've been in many cities in Latin America during presidential elections.  I'm more concerned if serious unrest is expected however.  Thoughts from those of you that know Thailand better?

The only issue you will have is they probably won’t serve alcohol that day.   Unrest is a long shot , but it would probably be near the government buildings or possibly Grand Palace area.  Neither of which is anywhere near the Gay entertainment areas.    I don’t know any of my friends that are regulars that are altering their plans.   I’ll be there and not worried.      Just keep up with the news to be aware of what’s going on, but I wouldn’t change my plans.   I can understand your concern as a first timer , but there are a lot of us that live there or spend a lot of time there.   Feel free to post or pm if you have any questions or concerns. 

• Members

All that is pretty good advice unless they take over the airport when you are coming or going. That happened to me and it was not any fun.They found out that disturbing air transportation gets a lot of notice. Just look at the recent US Govt shut down. Merrily going  on for 5 weeks until it became evident  Air Traffic Controllers or TSA agents were about to grind Air Transportation to a halt.

Unfortunately Thai Government did not and may not move that fast if something similar occurs . Unlikely to happen because of the damage done previously but then you never know in Thailand.

Edited by firecat69

• Members
On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:41 PM, paulsf said:

The only issue you will have is they probably won’t serve alcohol that day.   Unrest is a long shot , but it would probably be near the government buildings or possibly Grand Palace area.  Neither of which is anywhere near the Gay entertainment areas.    I don’t know any of my friends that are regulars that are altering their plans.   I’ll be there and not worried.      Just keep up with the news to be aware of what’s going on, but I wouldn’t change my plans.   I can understand your concern as a first timer , but there are a lot of us that live there or spend a lot of time there.   Feel free to post or pm if you have any questions or concerns. 

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try and stay on top of things.

• Members
12 hours ago, firecat691614502759 said:

All that is pretty good advice unless they take over the airport when you are coming or going. That happened to me and it was not any fun.They found out that disturbing air transportation gets a lot of notice. Just look at the recent US Govt shut down. Merrily going  on for 5 weeks until it became evident  Air Traffic Controllers or TSA agents were about to grind Air Transportation to a halt.

Unfortunately Thai Government did not and may not move that fast if something similar occurs . Unlikely to happen because of the damage done previously but then you never know in Thailand.

Thanks for your comments as well.  I'll hope the airport is not affected during my visit.  My flight out is two days after the election.  Fingers crossed.

• Members
On 2/10/2019 at 8:42 PM, firecat691614502759 said:

I think this comparison is a bit ludicrous.  There is no comparison in the two situations..

Edited by kjun12

• Members
On 2/10/2019 at 4:37 AM, EZEtoGRU said:

Well looks like I will be in BKK on election day for my first ever visit to Thailand.  I've already booked the flights and hotel.  I wonder if I should reconsider.  I am an experienced international traveller but mostly to Latin America and Europe.  Election Day in and of itself doesn't bother me.  I've been in many cities in Latin America during presidential elections.  I'm more concerned if serious unrest is expected however.  Thoughts from those of you that know Thailand better?

Come and enjoy yourself.  I have lived here a long time and I don't think you have anything to worry about.

• Members
7 hours ago, kjun12 said:

I think this comparison is a bit ludicrous.  There is no comparison in the two situations..

Really I guess it is because you live there rather than visit. 10 years ago BKK was a disaster for a visitor who wanted to fly back home .  I already said it probably won't happen again but who knows in Thailand.  I can assure you it was no fun for visitors but then again I would expect you to know anything about that because you are a resident. Who knows when you were last on an airplane?:D

On 2/12/2019 at 8:36 AM, firecat691614502759 said:

Really I guess it is because you live there rather than visit. 10 years ago BKK was a disaster for a visitor who wanted to fly back home .  I already said it probably won't happen again but who knows in Thailand.  I can assure you it was no fun for visitors but then again I would expect you to know anything about that because you are a resident. Who knows when you were last on an airplane?:D

I know I'm late to this but I wanted to get my feelings win record. I've been in Bangkok during political unrest and the Thai, well- they do a nice coup. I never felt unsafe or had to hole up in my hotel. Having said that if the army ever turns on the Palace or the Temples - run.  Screw the airports run for the nearest border. If the King and Songha are fine - sp are you - just politics.