SolaceSoul

U.S. State Department travel warnings for Dominican Republic.

• Members

So, it looks like the Department of State under the current administration has decided to ramp up its travel warnings to US citizens traveling to Latin and South American countries.

Here’s what just came into my mailbox from the STEP program for Dominican Republic

“Exercise increased caution in the Dominican Republic due to crime.

Violent crime, such as robbery, murder, and sexual assault, is common. The wide availability of weapons, the use and trade of illicit drugs, and a weak criminal justice system contribute to the high level of criminality.

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to the Dominican Republic:

Be aware of your surroundings.

Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.

Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive watches or jewelry.

Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.

Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.

Review the Crime and Safety Report for the Dominican Republic.

U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler's Checklist.

Last Update: Reissued after regular review with no changes.”

• Members

Sitting in an apartment in the Colonial Zone as I write this post. Walked home from the Plaza Espana after dinner back to the apartment at 10 via the Conde never felt afraid.  Of course, I was with a tall, extremely muscular personal trainer from San Cristobal. But just always be aware of your surroundings and do not look like a tourist. I walk around the DR and Brazil all the time wearing a Hublot watch but it looks just like everyone else's $100 watch.

I did forget to lock my suitcase on the flight from Miami my luggage was delayed and when it arrived at the apartment a new pair of $200 Nike running shoes were gone.  As usual, being a victim of a crime even a small one is our own fault with a just a momentary lapse in judgment.

I did not see a warning from the State Department on the trip to the prison for sex. Got my local fixer seriously checking that out for the next trip since it has to be on a Sunday. 

• Members

• Members
14 minutes ago, mvan1 said:

You're giving examples of the highest end of Hublot to attempt some kind of clapback

You can easily find an intro Hublot in the $4-5k range.  That's not bad for a decently crafted watch.

Edited by BenjaminNicholas

• Members
4 minutes ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

You're giving examples of the highest end of Hublot to attempt some kind of clapback.

You can easily find an intro Hublot in the $4-5k range.  That's not bad for a decently crafted watch.

A dumb-assed replacement phrase for the word-phrase "comeback", which, in normal people English, means "retort". 
It makes no sense since "clap" is a word that doesn't represent anything having to do with the meaning of the intention behind the phrase, and meaning something completely different. 

• Members
Just now, mvan1 said:
A dumb-assed replacement phrase for the word-phrase "comeback", which, in normal people English, means "retort". 
It makes no sense since "clap" is a word that doesn't represent anything having to do with the meaning of the intention behind the phrase, and meaning something completely different. 

Yet, you still haven't make sense of your original price post

• Members

The price of the watch misses the point. If you try to blend into the landscape the less opportunity you have to be a victim. But even making a momentary mistake or lapse in judgment as I did in forgetting to lock my luggage I then became a victim. 

Was I more visible with an expensive watch which looks like everyone else's or the tourist sitting at a cafe on the Conde wearing a shirt with an American flag that said, F Trump? That is the point.

• Members
On 2/12/2019 at 2:59 PM, alwaysrio said:

I did not see a warning from the State Department on the trip to the prison for sex. Got my local fixer seriously checking that out for the next trip since it has to be on a Sunday. 

Seriously, do you think the U.S. State Department is going to publish a warning not to visit an active prison for paid gay sex with inmates?

Please tell me this is a joke!

Edited by mvan1

1 hour ago, alwaysrio said:

The price of the watch misses the point. If you try to blend into the landscape the less opportunity you have to be a victim. But even making a momentary mistake or lapse in judgment as I did in forgetting to lock my luggage I then became a victim. 

Was I more visible with an expensive watch which looks like everyone else's or the tourist sitting at a cafe on the Conde wearing a shirt with an American flag that said, F Trump? That is the point.

I think people want to believe they have more control than they do. You can do all the right things and still be victimized. You can do all the wrong things and get away with it. That doesn't mean you shouldn't exercise due caution, but being unlucky isn't the victim's fault.

• Members
2 hours ago, caeron said:

I think people want to believe they have more control than they do. You can do all the right things and still be victimized. You can do all the wrong things and get away with it. That doesn't mean you shouldn't exercise due caution, but being unlucky isn't the victim's fault.

Exceedingly pragmatic - thank you - 

On 2/24/2019 at 6:41 PM, alwaysrio said:

I'm sorry if you think you blend into Santo Domingo and no one knows you're a tourist you are, sorry, delusional.