TotallyOz

RIP Soi Twilight - Bangkok's Largest Gay Venue

I went to Soi Twilight last night as I heard about the demise of Soi Twilight.  The area is being converted into a big mall. There are only 2000 malls in Bangkok, but they seem to want another one.

Lots of the bars and clubs are now boarded up and closed.  This weekend is the last weekend for a few others.  Many of them are moving to the other side of Suriwong and some near Silom 4 and some near the Patong Night Market. 

When I first came to Bangkok 17 years ago, I fell in love with this area as there were 10 GoGo bars and 10 beer bars (estimate) on the same little street and all next door to each other.  Walk out one door with 100 boys on stage and into another with the same.  Paradise!

Now, it will be more spread out and a bit of a hike (5 minutes) from one area to another.  Some are moving next to each other while others are still trying to find venues.

I don't get into this area too often but wanted to go in this weekend to say goodbye to this old friend.  This truly was one of the most amazing streets on earth and it will never be replicated anywhere.  It is just not possible to do. 

Now, don't think for one moment that this means the boys are gone. They will still be there, just spread out a bit more and now more than a 5 second walk.

• Members

Apparently this haven't pushed through (as of early January 2020) though the area is literally dead even before the March lockdown and was walled up. I guess the investors are on the wait and see mode because of COVID. They just literally closed the area for nothing. Judging from what happened during the 97' crisis it will be a full decade before this area recovers.