SolaceSoul

TIME Magazine: How This Black Gay Politician Is Standing Up to the Far-Right Government in Brazil

• Members

@mvan1, I believe it is erroneous to compare same sex attraction to sexual attraction to significantly younger partners. You may not realize this, but you’re dangerously close to making the same arguments as the organization NAMBLA — which advocates to abolish age-of-consent laws criminalizing adult sexual involvement with minors, under the premise that men and boys of any age should be free to be in relationships that are mutually consensual — no matter the age of the boy or the age difference between the man and boy.

Of course, @mvan1I know that this is not your personal position and that you personally would not support such a platform or an insidious organization such as the North American Man/Boy Love Association.

I dismiss this notion that a 25 year old man who is attracted to 21 year old young men (I’m purposely using an arbitrary age here, for discussion purposes) will always be exclusively attracted to 21 year old young men, even when that 25 year old becomes 45, 60 or 70 because he is “pre-wired” to be attracted to an age group. Perhaps it is like that for some (I would agree that is probably true for pedophiles and pederasts), but for the overwhelming number of mature, healthy adults, it is not. No, it is not common for emotionally mature adults to remain fixated on acquiring much younger partners. 

To answer your question about what age is permissible for a young man to engage in prostitution (which is a pliable trade that is legalized in certain countries like Brazil), of course, the answer for that is the legally pernissible age — which in Brazil is 18.  Therefore, any client who is over 18, even if he is 118, has the legal right in that country to hire a consenting hooker who is any age above 18.

However, I don’t think the legal right to do something like this (in Brazil) was ever up for debate here. What I found alarming (not simply singling out one poster here, as this can be a recurring theme on this forum) is an unhealthy fixation on youth in sex partners from significantly much older men that skirts the borders of pederasty. Bragging about seeking out a 45 year age difference between partners just set me off — but I am fully aware that there are quite a number of posters / readers here that are fond of that kind of thing — to the point of exclusion. Often times, one can read comments here from aged posters who like to tell readers that there are young, barely legal garotos who enjoy the company of elderly men and actively seek them out for sexual pleasure. There could be some truth to that, and some of it could be wishful thinking, fantasy and projection. I usually find such talk harmless and only remark when it seems like someone may be engaging in predatory-like behavior.

I found Rio’s defense whataboutism regarding the scenario of a 40-something hooking up with a 21-25 year old when he is old enough to be his father as nothing but a diversionary tactic. The original topic was about Glenn Greenwald and David Miranda, who were reportedly 38 and 20 when they hooked up. That’s an 18 year age difference, and depending on the circumstances, would raise some eyebrows and in others, wouldn’t even make a shoulder shrug. Obviously, the scale slides as the age gap widens. A 20-year gap is less brow-furrowing than a 30-year, which is less than a 45-year, which is even less than a 50-year. I do not enjoy or entertain “slippery slope” arguments, as they often engage in fallacies that ignore the possibility of middle ground.

His retort was also concerning to me, because it assumes that everyone is like him and only seeks out men who are fresh out of their teens. There are working men out there (in saunas, on the apps, on beaches, on apps) that are in their late 20s, 30s , and 40s. I’ve mentioned before that I have a preference for masculine men with muscular, athletic builds, who are preferably but not always men of color. A few of my favorite garotos have absolutely incredible builds and are not very far off from my own age (I’m in my mid to late 40s). Of course, in general, the more melanin in your skin, the more youthful your appearance remains as well. But to actively rule out men who are closer to one’s age and exclusively seek out young garotos who are fresh out of their teens, especially when you yourself came of age during the Truman or Eisenhower administrations, to me, seems problematic. Call me crazy.

• Members
13 minutes ago, Lucky said:

Wow. A thread on Boytoy where some guys are claiming the right to tell other guys who they can hook up with. Shades of bigotry and ageism. Legally able to consent means just that. So long as consent is present by someone over 18, the rest is not up to posters here.

Just like clockwork. A hit dog will holler.

Nice try Jan, but this thread is not about debating the legality of consenting legal adults performing sex acts on each other, or even consenting legal adults buying / selling sex. 

Also, “bigotry and ageism”? I can easily argue that the real ageists are the old men who exclusively seek sex with barely legal young men. Why must they discriminate against men much closer to their own age?

Edited by SolaceSoul

• Members

3 hours ago, Lucky said:

Wow. A thread on Boytoy where some guys are claiming the right to tell other guys who they can hook up with. Shades of bigotry and ageism. Legally able to consent means just that. So long as consent is present by someone over 18, the rest is not up to posters here.

There is only one person who posted in this thread in favor of the subject you mentioned (men in advanced years are too old to hire younger male prostitutes).  

It was not I who wrote that post.  In fact, I wrote a lengthy rebuttal against the concept expressed in that post.    

However, you responded "Wow. A thread on Boytoy where some guys are claiming the right to tell other guys who they can hook up with."

Notice you used PLURAL "guys" in your post.  

Considering there are only two posts discussing this phenomenon, when you used the plural in your post, you obviously included my post in your allegation.    

I disagreed with the offending post and advised the poster as such in my response.  Could you not understand that?

What causes you to frequently come to this site to cause dissension?   Is it a source of enjoyment for you to "stir the pot" so to speak?

• Members
33 minutes ago, mvan1 said:

There is only one person who posted in this thread in favor of the subject you mentioned (men in advanced years are too old to hire younger male prostitutes).  

.... and, to be perfectly clear, I never even asserted this. 

• Members
2 minutes ago, caeron said:

judgy people gonna judge. 

Usually best to ignore them. I don't get the urge to tell other adults on the internet how to live their lives, but I guess some people's high horses need regular exercise...

Newsflash:

It’s. 

The.

Fucking.

Internet.

• Members
3 minutes ago, caeron said:

All the internet does is let people reveal their true selves because they can hide behind the anonymity of it.

That’s ALL it does?

You really believe everything you read on the internet and that everyone is who they say they are, and has done what they claim (even in this forum)? 

Oh, dear.