rtu123

First-timer in Rio - EXPERIENCE

• Members

rtu, thank you for your interesting report....

but i do not agree with you that you do not have anything to see in brazil...  have you been to jesus christ or pao de acucar and admire how did africa and america separeted a few million years ago.  a visit to few samba places in lapa or samba school are great. acquarium is large, new and superb, as well as museum of tommorow. 

have you been to ilha grande, which is close to rio?  it takes 3 days it is national park and it is more than great.

not to mention smell of slaves in salvador or nature of amazonia?

and yes boys on beach are for fun, but the appreciate an option to make a few extra reais. enviroment is very friendly.

adn shopping centers are everywhere. also in brazil.

• Members

@rtu123, you probably notice that most of us are not predisposed to making a dumb-ass analysass of your motives or capacity for extracting meaningfully the more touristy offerings of the city.

Your report reminds of my first visit almost 5 years ago. I stayed at the Hotel Monte Castelo in Gloria steps west of 117. I was overwhelmed by 117 and fell into the mindset of pigging out on the most appealing batch of trade I could ever have managed. I don’t recall any sightseeing though I had devoured DK Eyewitness travel in preparation. I was immersed in a fantastical dream and afraid I would wake up.

Like you, I booked my second visit right away, a Copa hotel, but got hit by dengue that time 

Then a third trip a few months following, a gorgeous gated community turn of century house in Catete, making  up for lost time at 117/202 the illness fiasco previously. 

I first visited Redentor 30 months following my first visit! I had begun long stay visits in Airbnb including an extended period with a working family. 

It took me a few years to really integrate the main sights and then then the more detailed “gravy” and cultural events at Theatro Municipal and other venues, also visiting ‘further afield’ locations. I have done these usually alone or with accompanying visiting friends met there or from my home base social circle, never with trade. 

Since you are “bitten by the bug”, the good kind not the Aedes Egypti version, there will likely be plenty of time and opportunity to fold in and balance more conventional experiences along with the ‘numero uno’ agenda. 

BTW, you can see all of Rio on Youtube but on the screen only look not touch the bare essentials. LOL.