AdamSmith

Bloomberg v. Trump

...In a subsequent salvo Trump compared Bloomberg to his 2016 Republican nomination challenger Jeb Bush.

“Mini Mike Bloomberg is a LOSER who has money but can’t debate and has zero presence, you will see. He reminds me of a tiny version of Jeb ‘Low Energy’ Bush, but Jeb has more political skill and has treated the Black community much better than Mini!”

Twenty minutes later, Bloomberg returned fire, drawing attention to doubts that Trump is not as wealthy or as successful as he likes to portray himself.

“@realDonaldTrump – we know many of the same people in NY. Behind your back they laugh at you & call you a carnival barking clown,” Bloomberg said in a posting. “They know you inherited a fortune & squandered it with stupid deals and incompetence.”

Bloomberg, whose wealth Forbes estimates at $61.8bn, continued: “I have the record & the resources to defeat you. And I will.” The financial data businessman has spent at least $350m on his campaign to date and said he plans to spend up to $1bn on the race...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/feb/13/donald-trump-mike-bloomberg-insults-twitter

4 hours ago, floridarob said:

Someone said that Bloomberg has hired an expert on narcissism and is also going to hire a comedy writer to take that info and write tweets and posts to really get under Trump's skin..... 

Back during the 2016 campaign Bloomberg said of Drumpf, ‘Ladies & gentlemen, I’m a New Yorker, and I know a con when I see one.’

I now think Mayor Mike is exactly the one to take down The Donald.

• Members
9 hours ago, floridarob said:

Someone said that Bloomberg has hired an expert on narcissism and is also going to hire a comedy writer to take that info and write tweets and posts to really get under Trump's skin..... 

I hope it's true. A lot of people aren't going to enjoy how catty this race will get. If anyone knows how to get under Trump's skin, it's Bloomberg, and some of the tweet spats are already sounding very Texas high school 1970's.

Normally, I would say Bloomberg needs to be careful. Catty insults coming from an old Jewish man with a strong, nasally, Noo Yawk sounding voice, reminiscent of the sound of nails on a chalkboard, could be deadly politically. I suspect Bloomberg's voice (and his being a Jew) is going to turn off a lot of voters. Bloomberg is certainly going to rile up the Jew-hating white nationalists who all love Trump. However, this election will be like no other. To those who thought Dubya was a polarizing president, Trump's got George beat by millions of haters. The Trump haters want Trump out, period, no matter what. And they'll tolerate just about anything from Bloomberg if he can prove he's the man to cut off Trump at his kneecaps.

Fasten your seatbelts...

• Members
13 hours ago, AdamSmith said:

There is also the slightly convenient fact of $61b.

The Bernie Sanders animals are going to hate Bloomberg's wealth. They seem to believe that all big business is evil. In the meantime, Bloomberg is banking on voters who dream of realizing great wealth in the their lives. Bloomberg is self-made. Unlike Trump, Bloomberg did not receive inheritance money from his father to squander on bad investments.

Bloomberg is going to appeal to Republicans who have always been on the fence with Trump, but had nowhere to turn. Knowing how the game is played, and that Bloomberg was once a Republican, wealthy Republicans might think Bloomberg will protect their money from going to welfare queens and their baby fathers.

I suspect Bloomberg also is willing to give up on the Black and Latino vote. He will get some, for sure, because he can beat Trump, but for those looking for the next Obama, I'll bet he's prepared to count them out. If Bloomberg can get Independents and disgruntled Republicans, he may not need the minority vote to beat Trump.

13 hours ago, AdamSmith said:

AND the rumored newest dig at Drumpf of Bloomberg asking HILLARY to be his VP running mate.

I'm not ready to believe the rumor is true. My gut is telling me it's media click-bate. Someone in media thought it would be a brilliant rumor to spread, for sure, and the propaganda war is working to the media's advantage.

I can't imagine Hillary wanting VP. That sounds like an arrow in the heart of her ambition. I can't imagine Bloomberg wanting to align himself with the Clinton's. I'm not seeing any benefit, given that many in the Democratic Party are craving to move beyond the Clinton's. Hillary on a Bloomberg ticket would be a disaster for Independents, disaffected Republicans, and many Democrats. The idea just screams of click-bate to me.

Edited by RockHardNYC

• Members

Bloomberg is certainly calculating his way to victory, much the same way Trump did in 2016.

Ignore the extremist nut jobs in your party while giving them lips service (yes, children, stop and frisk worked. Bloomberg is still proud of it. It’s an inconvenient truth). Play vaguely to the middle, just enough enough to win the electoral college votes you need.

Bloomberg is no more a Democrat than Trump is a Republican.....and that just MIGHT get him elected President. 

• Members
1 hour ago, RA1 said:

Money may buy publicity but seeing him debate might be the clincher.

I think that ship is quarantined during the Coronavirus. Trump lost every debate. He was absolutely terrible, with his brooding Dracula overlord and his dry mouth. A candidate would have to be as bad or worse to lose a debate to him. I don't see that happening.

I've been to several Bloomberg speeches and lectures. His voice may not be ready for a prime-time audience, but the hugely successful businessman offers very interesting ideas in a no-nonsense, brilliant sounding, let's-get-this-done sort of way. He has a solid three-term record in NYC, and they changed the law simply to allow him his third term. The majority of New Yorkers still wish he was mayor. Most hate De Blasio, primarily because the city is filthy once again and homeless drug users are everywhere.

The debate will be fascinating, because the media will punch down hard on Bloomberg. They want a dog fight, and they're going to get one with newbie Bloombie.

PS I should also add I've done business with Bloomberg News. The building is high-tech amazing with state-of-the-art security. Like I've said before, I don't know any Bloomberg employee who has gone public with hate for the man and his company. Trump, on the other hand, has a laundry list of disgruntled employees. Most are waiting for back pay lawsuits to be settled, and none of them can talk because he makes everyone sign confidentiality agreements. If only we could hear from Carolyn Kepcher. Trump dumped her vendetta-style when she started gaining fans, but we haven't heard a peep from her. There's a reason. Talk to the lawyers.

Edited by RockHardNYC

• Members
5 hours ago, RockHardNYC said:

The Bernie Sanders animals are going to hate Bloomberg's wealth. They seem to believe that all big business is evil. In the meantime, Bloomberg is banking on voters who dream of realizing great wealth in the their lives. Bloomberg is self-made. Unlike Trump, Bloomberg did not receive inheritance money from his father to squander on bad investments.

Bloomberg is going to appeal to Republicans who have always been on the fence with Trump, but had nowhere to turn. Knowing how the game is played, and that Bloomberg was once a Republican, wealthy Republicans might think Bloomberg will protect their money from going to welfare queens and their baby fathers.

I suspect Bloomberg also is willing to give up on the Black and Latino vote. He will get some, for sure, because he can beat Trump, but for those looking for the next Obama, I'll bet he's prepared to count them out. If Bloomberg can get Independents and disgruntled Republicans, he may not need the minority vote to beat Trump.

I'm not ready to believe the rumor is true. My gut is telling me it's media click-bate. Someone in media thought it would be a brilliant rumor to spread, for sure, and the propaganda war is working to the media's advantage.

I can't imagine Hillary wanting VP. That sounds like an arrow in the heart of her ambition. I can't imagine Bloomberg wanting to align himself with the Clinton's. I'm not seeing any benefit, given that many in the Democratic Party are craving to move beyond the Clinton's. Hillary on a Bloomberg ticket would be a disaster for Independents, disaffected Republicans, and many Democrats. The idea just screams of click-bate to me.

Of course, Hillary Clinton would at least think about vice president of it was offered. She didn't want to be secretary of state, but ultimately agreed when Barack Obama kept asking. On SOS, I am quoting the recent Richard Holbrooke biography by George Packer.

5 hours ago, Buddy2 said:

Of course, Hillary Clinton would at least think about vice president of it was offered. She didn't want to be secretary of state, but ultimately agreed when Barack Obama kept asking. On SOS, I am quoting the recent Richard Holbrooke biography by George Packer.

Immoderate PS: Oneself knew Packer in college, and every word he writes can be taken as holy writ. He is extremely both intelligent and ethical.

And meticulously careful in his research.

• Members
19 hours ago, RockHardNYC said:

I think that ship is quarantined during the Coronavirus. Trump lost every debate. He was absolutely terrible, with his brooding Dracula overlord and his dry mouth. A candidate would have to be as bad or worse to lose a debate to him. I don't see that happening.

I've been to several Bloomberg speeches and lectures. His voice may not be ready for a prime-time audience, but the hugely successful businessman offers very interesting ideas in a no-nonsense, brilliant sounding, let's-get-this-done sort of way. He has a solid three-term record in NYC, and they changed the law simply to allow him his third term. The majority of New Yorkers still wish he was mayor. Most hate De Blasio, primarily because the city is filthy once again and homeless drug users are everywhere.

The debate will be fascinating, because the media will punch down hard on Bloomberg. They want a dog fight, and they're going to get one with newbie Bloombie.

PS I should also add I've done business with Bloomberg News. The building is high-tech amazing with state-of-the-art security. Like I've said before, I don't know any Bloomberg employee who has gone public with hate for the man and his company. Trump, on the other hand, has a laundry list of disgruntled employees. Most are waiting for back pay lawsuits to be settled, and none of them can talk because he makes everyone sign confidentiality agreements. If only we could hear from Carolyn Kepcher. Trump dumped her vendetta-style when she started gaining fans, but we haven't heard a peep from her. There's a reason. Talk to the lawyers.

So the reports of sexism, racial enmity, etc. about MB are just fake news?  Stop and frisk is effective, but is it constitutional?

Best regards,

RA1

• Members
45 minutes ago, RA1 said:

So the reports of sexism, racial enmity, etc. about MB are just fake news?

Are rumors about anyone famous total lies, partial lies, or absolute truth? What is a "fact" in this age of Trumpism? You never really know someone until you witness behavior one-on-one over a reasonable length of time. Even then, surprising truths can exist.

I'm sure plenty of people from my corporate past could describe comments or jokes I made as sexist, and I happen to love women. Show me a man in his 70's who hasn't expressed some degree of sexism and I'll show you a miracle.

I've been present at many advertising meetings where the race of a projected customer was discussed in ways that, out of context, could easily be described as racial enmity. If those conversations were recorded, the out-of-context words would certainly derail a public life dependent on votes.

While I never threatened anyone's job over sex in my corporate life, I had numerous sexual encounters with underling employees of the company I worked for. Not all of them were consensual, but none of them rose to the level of professional admonishment. Today, post #metoo, not one of those encounters would be considered OK or acceptable. If I ever decided to run for public office, I have no idea who might come out of their closet to say something awful about me.

"Reports of...?" I take all reports with a grain of salt, until I've had the opportunity to see for myself. Then I decide what is fake and what is real.

Tomorrow's debate will offer something.

• Members
1 hour ago, RockHardNYC said:

Are rumors about anyone famous total lies, partial lies, or absolute truth? What is a "fact" in this age of Trumpism? You never really know someone until you witness behavior one-on-one over a reasonable length of time. Even then, surprising truths can exist.

I'm sure plenty of people from my corporate past could describe comments or jokes I made as sexist, and I happen to love women. Show me a man in his 70's who hasn't expressed some degree of sexism and I'll show you a miracle.

I've been present at many advertising meetings where the race of a projected customer was discussed in ways that, out of context, could easily be described as racial enmity. If those conversations were recorded, the out-of-context words would certainly derail a public life dependent on votes.

While I never threatened anyone's job over sex in my corporate life, I had numerous sexual encounters with underling employees of the company I worked for. Not all of them were consensual, but none of them rose to the level of professional admonishment. Today, post #metoo, not one of those encounters would be considered OK or acceptable. If I ever decided to run for public office, I have no idea who might come out of their closet to say something awful about me.

"Reports of...?" I take all reports with a grain of salt, until I've had the opportunity to see for myself. Then I decide what is fake and what is real.

Tomorrow's debate will offer something.

I agree with who among us could stand up to having our private veil stripped away for public consumption?  In addition, I offer witnesses observing a traffic accident.  Independently reviewed and when reading a media account of same, one might wonder what did happen?  The stories will have at least some differences if not many.

I look forward to tomorrow's debate offering "something".

Best regards,

RA1

• Members
1 hour ago, RA1 said:

I offer witnesses observing a traffic accident.  Independently reviewed and when reading a media account of same, one might wonder what did happen?

It's no secret: I work with a ton of famous people. The things I have read about some can make a scalp raw from head scratching.

Not long ago my son and I had a talk about who is best to tell my life story when I'm gone. My relatives think they know me well, and some would love to cash in. No one knows "the truth" more than my son. However, if given the chance, both would tell a completely different story, and readers would wonder if both were lying to protect the truth from coming out.

1 hour ago, RA1 said:

who among us could stand up to having our private veil stripped away for public consumption?

Especially a private life taken out of context, absent of life's nuances and grey areas. In other words, absent of thinking.

Today we have click-bate and 24/7 entertainment news. The odds of finding a hero with a stain-free life are zero to none.

I care much more about smart, creative ideas than I care about ideology. If the Republicans could put up a genius, I might vote for him/her. Instead, they got in bed with the Devil, and I hope they pay a very high price.

Bill Barr Must Resign, by former U.S. Deputy Attorney General, Donald Ayer

Edited by RockHardNYC

• Members

On the other hand...

On 2/18/2020 at 9:40 AM, RA1 said:

So the reports of sexism, racial enmity, etc. about MB are just fake news?

Here's a dose of reality that many conservative voters are going to find extremely painful.

When you elect a Mafia-style businessman who is on record saying,

"I don't even wait. And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. ... Grab them by the pussy. You can do anything."

or, you elect a New York real estate crook and cheat who settled a racial discrimination case that the U.S. Justice Department brought against the Don and his father, you can no longer whine like little bitches when a different candidate, even from the opposing party, behaves in a similar way.

The cat is out of the bag, and he's not going back inside.

Some Republicans foolishly believe that hypocrisy doesn't stain them the way it does others. This is the price you pay for getting in bed with the Devil.

• Members
14 minutes ago, RockHardNYC said:

On the other hand...

Here's a dose of reality that many conservative voters are going to find extremely painful.

When you elect a Mafia-style businessman who is on record saying,

"I don't even wait. And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. ... Grab them by the pussy. You can do anything."

or, you elect a New York real estate crook and cheat who settled a racial discrimination case that the U.S. Justice Department brought against the Don and his father, you can no longer whine like little bitches when a different candidate, even from the opposing party, behaves in a similar way.

The cat is out of the bag, and he's not going back inside.

Some Republicans foolishly believe that hypocrisy doesn't stain them the way it does others. This is the price you pay for getting in bed with the Devil.

At least we agree that all pols are crooks.

Best regards,

RA1

55 minutes ago, RA1 said:

Best regards,

RA1

Oddity is that the only exception to that is the incompetent/ineffectual ones, like Jimmy Carter.

Harry Truman was competent, effectual, not a crook; but that was a different era.

How long-lost those times seem.

• Members
2 hours ago, RA1 said:

I don't agree with that. President Obama was no crook. If anything, the Republicans robbed him of many of the successes he wanted to achieve. God forbid they let the first Black president go down in history as one of the true greats of this country. McConnell was determined to make Obama a one-term president, and he failed, but he cheated and robbed Obama at every turn. The only way Republicans can win these days is by cheating and suppressing the vote.

RA1, your statement is utterly simplistic and very cynical. No wonder this country is in the state that it is.

• Members
4 hours ago, RockHardNYC said:

I don't agree with that. President Obama was no crook. If anything, the Republicans robbed him of many of the successes he wanted to achieve. God forbid they let the first Black president go down in history as one of the true greats of this country. McConnell was determined to make Obama a one-term president, and he failed, but he cheated and robbed Obama at every turn. The only way Republicans can win these days is by cheating and suppressing the vote.

RA1, your statement is utterly simplistic and very cynical. No wonder this country is in the state that it is.

Then, we just have to agree to disagree.  Not every happening is a conspiracy.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members
16 hours ago, RA1 said:

we just have to agree to disagree

I always saw that phrase as a cheap and convenient cop-out.

On 2/17/2020 at 12:04 PM, RA1 said:

Money may buy publicity but seeing him debate might be the clincher.

Bloomberg was TERRIBLE. It brought back memories of his poor debating skills. During analysis last night, David Plouffe mentioned that Bloomberg hasn't debated in over ten years. That's a long time to be without practice, especially for a privileged old man.

As of last night, it looks like money may be the only thing that saves him. He actually may have no choice but to buy the election. He'll convince people through sharp advertising that he is the man to defeat Trump. It is a shame, because in speeches and one-on-one conversations he can exude brilliance.

I was stunned to watch Elizabeth Warren slice and dice Bloomberg's billionaire balls on national television. It was TV theater to behold. How lucky it was she was standing right next to him. It gave her attack more intensity. I have to say, for the first time, Elizabeth Warren really impressed me. She proved to me last night that she can go head-to-head with Trump and castrate Trump, too, on the debate stage.

Biden improved last night, but that isn't saying a lot.

In the heat of challenge, Amy Klobuchar showed a very unattractive, sourpuss side last night. Admittedly, Mayor Pete came to the debate with brilliant strategy to attack her, and he performed his attack with meticulous finesse. Amy was not prepared, and she got lost in her insecure-laden bluster. It was another battle to behold. I thought Mayor Pete showed his military prowess last night, and I was impressed, once again. How much more money can I send this guy?