Lonnie

These Trans People Are Ashamed... But Of What?

• Members

Not having periods? Having Periods? or something else? My addled brain doesn't comprehend!

Trans people highlight importance of ‘period inclusivity’ in important new campaign

TwitterFacebookSnapchatRedditEmail
Half of UK adults report a lack of 'period inclusivity', says Freda research

Model and trans advocate Kenny Ethan Jones in Freda's new campaign for de-gendered period product Cycle. (YouTube/MyFreda)

Forty-seven per cent of UK adults who menstruate report a lack of “period inclusivity”, according to research from YouGov and period care brand Freda.

Period inclusivity refers to the equal availability of affordable and suitable period products and associated support, including reproductive education and healthcare, to all those who need them.

A key aspect of period inclusivity is that all menstruating people are considered in the conversation around period care, including trans people. However, the reality is that many are left feeling excluded due to the language that is used to discuss periods.

Even the phrase “people who menstruate” is controversial to some, with author JK Rowling and Labour MP Rosie Duffield both taking offence at it last year. The uproar over the phrase, which is simply meant to include trans men and non-binary people who get periods, has only added to the stigma of being trans and menstruating.

Dr Josie Cheetham, who has worked with Freda on previous projects, has said of the scale of a lack of period inclusivity: “We often don’t realise just who is affected by period inequity, and by how much”.

Freda and YouGov conducted research that saw over 8,000 adults in the UK questioned about menstruation, revealing that over a third of adults who menstruate have felt shame or embarrassment about their period. More than one in 10 people who menstruate have been unable to access or afford period products when they need them.

And while two-thirds of 18- to 24-year-olds think that more people should known about and understand period inclusivity, only 32 per cent think that trans men should be included in conversation about periods.

Freda has brought in a new product, Cycle, to try to alleviate the stigma and destigmatise and de-gender period products.

Jamie Raines, a trans man and YouTuber who features in the Cycle campaign, said: “Cycle is an integral step towards period inclusivity. It provides choice for everyone who needs it without leaving anyone behind.

“In a world where we can be inclusive to the journeys we each go through, why wouldn’t we?”

Along with Jamie, Freda partnered with model and trans advocate Kenny Ethan Jones and genderqueer weightlifter Siufung Law to highlight the realities of a lack of period inclusivity.

click here for You Tube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zf_jdO6Yic

55 minutes ago, Lonnie said:

Not having periods? Having Periods? or something else? My addled brain doesn't comprehend!

Trans people highlight importance of ‘period inclusivity’ in important new campaign

TwitterFacebookSnapchatRedditEmail
Half of UK adults report a lack of 'period inclusivity', says Freda research

Model and trans advocate Kenny Ethan Jones in Freda's new campaign for de-gendered period product Cycle. (YouTube/MyFreda)

Forty-seven per cent of UK adults who menstruate report a lack of “period inclusivity”, according to research from YouGov and period care brand Freda.

Period inclusivity refers to the equal availability of affordable and suitable period products and associated support, including reproductive education and healthcare, to all those who need them.

A key aspect of period inclusivity is that all menstruating people are considered in the conversation around period care, including trans people. However, the reality is that many are left feeling excluded due to the language that is used to discuss periods.

Even the phrase “people who menstruate” is controversial to some, with author JK Rowling and Labour MP Rosie Duffield both taking offence at it last year. The uproar over the phrase, which is simply meant to include trans men and non-binary people who get periods, has only added to the stigma of being trans and menstruating.

Dr Josie Cheetham, who has worked with Freda on previous projects, has said of the scale of a lack of period inclusivity: “We often don’t realise just who is affected by period inequity, and by how much”.

Freda and YouGov conducted research that saw over 8,000 adults in the UK questioned about menstruation, revealing that over a third of adults who menstruate have felt shame or embarrassment about their period. More than one in 10 people who menstruate have been unable to access or afford period products when they need them.

And while two-thirds of 18- to 24-year-olds think that more people should known about and understand period inclusivity, only 32 per cent think that trans men should be included in conversation about periods.

Freda has brought in a new product, Cycle, to try to alleviate the stigma and destigmatise and de-gender period products.

Jamie Raines, a trans man and YouTuber who features in the Cycle campaign, said: “Cycle is an integral step towards period inclusivity. It provides choice for everyone who needs it without leaving anyone behind.

“In a world where we can be inclusive to the journeys we each go through, why wouldn’t we?”

Along with Jamie, Freda partnered with model and trans advocate Kenny Ethan Jones and genderqueer weightlifter Siufung Law to highlight the realities of a lack of period inclusivity.

click here for You Tube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zf_jdO6Yic

More like a marketing campaigns or ads for their period product.

• Members
16 hours ago, spoon said:

More like a marketing campaigns or ads for their period product.

Yes spoon you are right...but the question remains... Is it about trans men who are continuing to have periods and wanting to be associated with cis women for the inclusivity with fellow menstruating beings??  My mind still can't comprehend...or am I missing the whole point?

1 hour ago, Lonnie said:

Yes spoon you are right...but the question remains... Is it about trans men who are continuing to have periods and wanting to be associated with cis women for the inclusivity with fellow menstruating beings??  My mind still can't comprehend...or am I missing the whole point?

The point is they want to market their tampon/pad for transmen and allies by saying the current products are gender bias. 

• Members
1 hour ago, spoon said:

The point is they want to market their tampon/pad for transmen and allies by saying the current products are gender bias. 

I think we can all agree they want to sell a product...my question, I guess, is are trans men having periods? or is this product just a way to comfort them over the loss of menstruating? why would they think that's a loss? or is it something else?

Now I'll stop beating this dead horse...thanks for your patience spoon.

• Members

And sometime I forget Google is your friend but in my case duckduckgo:

For those who may not be familiar, transgender men are people who were assigned a female sex at birth but feel it not an accurate description of who they are inside, so they then begin to identify themselves as men. Let’s not forget, gender is a social construct that differs from biological sex. Where biological sex identifies your chromosomal makeup and the appearance of your genitals, gender largely relates to social and cultural differences. So if you really think about it, it seems totally possible to chromosomally be a woman and have the biological makeup, but identify as more of a man.

Transgender Men and Menstruation

Many transgendered men take hormones and/or have surgery to make their bodies more masculine, but for those that have not and still have periods, it can be a difficult time. It often can serve as a reminder that their bodies don’t match their gender identify.

Most conversations about menstruation happen in the context of girls and women, and that’s not a totally accurate reflection of modern society. Menstruation is not exclusive to women anymore. We need to remember that we have brothers-in-arms out there that need our support, our recognition and our compassion. They menstruate too, and to be mindful of those members of our society who are made invisible or invalid by the discourse that elevates periods as the source of womanhood or femininity is to recognize their unique struggles. I think we need to consider the implications of the statements we make and the attitudes we have and examine how they may hurt both women and transgender men.

Inclusion

It’s important to remember that inclusion is about more than what we say, but also how you say it. Exclusionary language equals exclusion in everyday life. Our language and the overall discussion of periods need to be inclusive and not exclusive. Remember that the views that express menstruation as feminine are gender essentialist and they harm and marginalize an entire group of people, including other women that no longer menstruate.

So in the future, I challenge you to think about how you view your period and how you communicate that to the world around you. Remember that there are many different types of people on this planet, and the world is made richer by that diversity. Respect yourself and in doing that, remember to respect other people whose experience is different from yours and include them in the conversation.

This was followed by many articles about trans men being ashamed of having periods.