PeterRS

The Tragedies of The Most Beautiful Boy

I still remember how I travelled to a big city as a teenager to watch the film in the cinema, most probably due to a very positive review. The effort was not in vain, for Tadzio’s elegant restraint and his boyish body made a lasting impression on me.

On 7/16/2021 at 5:49 AM, PeterRS said:

15-year old Swedish actor

Andresen's statement “I was just 16” seems to refer to his later stay in Cannes during the film festival. So the age range of our Tadzio figure goes from 15 to 14, 13 and 10:

Thomas Mann described in Death in Venice “a long-haired boy about fourteen years old”.

Katia Mann about the real Tadzio:

All the details of the story, beginning with the man at the cemetery, are taken from experience … In the dining-room, on the very first day, we saw the Polish family, which looked exactly the way my husband described them: the girls were dressed rather stiffly and severely, and the very charming, beautiful boy of about 13 was wearing a sailor suit with an open collar and very pretty lacings. He caught my husband's attention immediately. This boy was tremendously attractive, and my husband was always watching him with his companions on the beach. He didn't pursue him through all of Venice—that he didn’t do—but the boy did fascinate him, and he thought of him often… I still remember that my uncle, Privy Counsellor Friedberg, a famous professor of canon law in Leipzig, was outraged: “What a story! And a married man with a family!”

Wikipedia: The boy who inspired “Tadzio” was Baron Władysław Moes, whose first name was usually shortened as Władzio or just Adzio. []

Moes was born on November 17, 1900 in Wierbka, the second son and fourth child of Baron Aleksander Juliusz Moes. He was aged 10 when he was in Venice, significantly younger than Tadzio in the novella. Baron Moes died on December 17, 1986 in Warsaw and is interred at the graveyard of Pilica, Silesian Voivodeship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_in_Venice

In the video in my second post there is a short clip from a longer documentary about Visconti's year-long search for the  perfect Tadzio. When informed Andrésen is 15 he comments something like "a bit old". In fact he had 'auditioned' Andrésen quite early in the search but decided to wait until he had visited several other countries and seen many hundreds of other boys as possible for the part. This is the Italian Television documentary In Search of Tadzio (subtitles in English) which also includes narration of parts of the text of Mann's novella.

There is another long two-part documentary on youtube on the life of Dirk Bogarde who played Aschenbach in the movie. In itself this is also fascinating for it reveals a lot about this very private actor and the 40-year relationship with his "manager", Tony Forwood. Bogarde describes going with Visconti to Los Angeles to show the completed movie to some of its financial backers. At the end of the screening there was nothing but silence. Clearly there was more than a degree of shock at the subject matter (these being the start of the 19070s). To break the silence, one of the finance guys asked Visconti who had composed the music. When told Gustav Mahler, this innocent said, "He's great. Let's sign him up for more movies!"

The movie The Most Beautiful Boy has received mostly excellent reviews. On a limited release so far, it has a 76% score on Rotten Tomatoes. The film has been sold for distribution in several countries. No idea if it will ever appear in Thailand. 

The Guardian: A desperately unhappy story, sympathetically told

The Scotsman: Though full of sadness, it's ultimately a portrait of just how resilient a person can be in the face of so much pain.

Ian Thomas Malone: a harrowing, deeply moving experience that captures a star as gravity forces it back to earth

IndieWire: A crushing story of innocence destroyed by stardom

Financial Times: A deeply sad documentary about fame, its casualties and exploitation of children.