reader

Grab a last look at Hua Lamphong

1 hour ago, daydreamer said:

Just recently, there was a plan to renovate the old building for use as a museum.  Now it sounds like that may not happen.  The first sentence of the Bangkok Post article says "the land on which the station is located might have to be cleared to make way for commercial development".

Ah yes! Rama IV will be in desperate need of new shopping malls, new office towers, new apartment blocks and let more luxury hotels even after One Bangkok, the city's largest integrated development, opens in the area around the top of Sathorn and Silom!

This article (published today) presents different facts about the fate of Hua Lamphong that reflects what Day Dreamer posted above.

From Thai Enquirer

Thaksin calls for the preservation of Hua Lamphong station

Former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra took to social media late on Tuesday to talk about government policies related to old buildings and decry rapid urbanization at the cost of culture.

Among the sites that needed to be preserved was Hua Lamphong station, which should become a hub of soft power.

“I would definitely keep Hua Lamphong,” he said. “It is irreplaceable and invaluable…and it can be made to be even more valuable,” he said.

Thaksin said it could be transformed into an exhibition hall for people from around the country to come and show their local wisdom, talents and products.

“It can be transformed into a soft power hub,” he said.

The train station, which was built in 1910, closed on Wednesday and all rail services moved to the new Bang Sue Grand Station.

Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob said the ministry and the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) have plans to redevelop the 121-rai station for commercial purposes by clearing it to make way for condominiums, hotels and malls. However, the main station’s architecture will be kept as a museum.

The Fine Arts Department said last week that they will register the railway station as a official national heritage site to protect it from development plans. They have yet to say how much of the land should be conserved.

Thaksin said the loss-making SRT should not only be thinking of selling the land to pay back their debts. The state-owned enterprise’s debt was over 100 billion baht in 2020.

“Hua Lamphong should be given back as public property for people so that it can be used to promote knowledge, as a meeting center for the new generation and many other purposes…instead of just cutting it up and selling it as pieces.”

https://www.thaienquirer.com/35246/thaksin-calls-for-the-preservation-of-hua-lamphong-station/

Richard Barrow is dedicating his weekend to riding trains out of Hua Lamphong and Bang Sue. His posts are filled with great photos of the views and travel information.

From Richard Barrow Twitter site

"This afternoon I rode the new Red Line commuter train in #Bangkok. There are two lines so far that operate out of Bang Sue Grand Station. One to Taling Chan and the other to Rangsit. Most of the line is elevated as it leaves the city and so some great views."

Just as a reminder, even London StPancras station was under threat of redevelopment a few decades ago, despite being a fine building.  Thankfully it was saved and maybe Thailand can make the same decision. They could preserve the main hall and then build whatever kind of skyscraper they want on the platforms and tracks.

As for maintaining a service, well travelling into the station is slow as the trains have to wait for the precious road traffic at crossings.   Priorities are badly mixed up !   What it really needs is an underground line.

Coconuts Bangkok has posted a great photo essay about the reprieve that Hua Lamphong (aka, Bangkok Railway Station) has received.

End of the line for Bangkok’s grand rail terminal? Not quite yet.

IMG_1002-1024x683.jpg

Continues at

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/features/end-of-the-line-for-bangkoks-grand-rail-terminal-not-quite-yet-photos/

I took a train out of Hua Lamphong today. 

I figured 1 stop on the MRT and 30 minutes on the train to Bang Sue would be far easier than travelling on the MRT to Bang Sue, taking a long walk to the station and then trying to figure out which platform to use.

As it turned out, my train went through the OLD Bang Sue station and there was at least one other train doing the same thing at the time. 

It seems they don't need the new station ?   

Or has it's main objective already been satisfied ?   All that concrete sold☺️

Today I read that the steel railway bridge across the Chao Phraya river had to be temporarily closed for repairs.  So they are starting trains to the south of the country from the other side of the river.

I guess it's too difficult to use the new concrete railway bridge running alongside the old one ?

The new bridge does carry a commuter service, but I would have thought they would use the same gauge.