reader

Night zone launched in Hue Imperial Citadel

From Vietnam Life

Night street zone launched in Vietnam’s Hue Imperial Citadel

The administration of Hue City, in central Vietnam, launched a night street zone around the Hue Imperial Citadel City, a UNESCO-recognized World Cultural Heritage, on Thursday evening, after a long delay due to COVID-19.

The pedestrian night street zone, opens from 7:00 to 11:00 pm every Friday and Saturday, is designed to span four streets, namely August 23, Le Huan, Dang Thai Than, and Doan Thi Diem.

The zone connects with other areas in the Hue Imperial Citadel, including Tinh Tam Lake - Hoc Hai Lake, the Tang Tho Lau (Library), the Tran Binh Dai - Mang Ca garrison area, the Ngu Ha River, and the Thuong Thanh - Eo Bau section.

As one of the new tourism products, it is expected to help revive the local tourism industry that has suffered serious damage by the COVID-19 pandemic over the past two years.

It was previously slated to be launched on January 1 this year but was postponed as the city had to focus its efforts on the coronavirus fight.  

Besides the pedestrian space, the night street zone offers visitors unique royal art programs, folk games, along with charming traditional craft products and special Hue cuisine. 

Such programs and games will take place on three main stages and four community performance areas, while handicrafts will be displayed and sold at 27 stalls.

Continues with photos

https://vietnamlife.tuoitrenews.vn/news/vietnam-life/20220423/night-street-zone-launched-in-vietnams-hue-imperial-citadel/66768.html

In Hue, EVERY time I walked past a Tuk Tuk, the driver would always try to sell me 3 services.   Even if I had already walked past the tuk tuk driver several times.   These were:

Tuk tuk ?       

Lady ?

Marijuana ?   

These days, I would probably selectively try asking them for something else.

A pedicab (cycle rickshaw) driver back in 2012 in Hue offered me his sister.

"Do you have a brother?" 

"Sorry. No have."

It was an opening for him to offer himself but unfortunately, he didn't.

The citadel was a massive disappointment as it was completely obliterated during the war. The reconstruction was very poorly done.I'm 

12 hours ago, a-447 said:

The citadel was a massive disappointment as it was completely obliterated during the war. The reconstruction was very poorly done.I'm 

You make it sound as though the Vietnamese are responsible. It was partly the colonial French and then the USA during the Vietnam War that were solely responsible for the destruction of this major historical site. US troops were even given orders not to destroy the old historical sites. They did so anyway! Only 10 of 160 structures in the Citadel were left standing. True, the presence of the Viet Minh contributed but without those two invading powers, the Citadel would still be standing in all its glory.

When built in the early 19th century it was loosely modelled on Beijing's Forbidden City and there remain some parts which are certainly well worth visiting. UNESCO has been helping the Vietnamese restore some of the destruction.  I visited Hue, Danang and Hoi An just before the lockdown 2 years ago. I loved that part of Vietnam and will return. I wasn't on the look out for guys but the apps were certainly busy.

Photos of The Hue Citadel

DSC02377.thumb.jpg.f4a297309a6c08599dc194f8242f024b.jpg

phpP8txgJPM.thumb.jpg.68e90a94652f938c935635e1bba61102.jpg

DSC02401.thumb.jpg.355908ac90d2031c2ba6ca9f55f425e3.jpg

DSC02386.thumb.jpg.b0768683a7d3dfaa0f448b4d68b7bdd1.jpg

DSC02400.thumb.jpg.50f959b4673c166d9d61e86df301d5bd.jpg

No, I'm certainly not blaming the locals for the destruction of the citadel! 

I was disappointed that the reconstruction, for whatever reason, was poorly done at the time. For example, the buildings to the left and right as you walk through the main gate were just facades with nothing behind them.

The structures may well be completed by now. I was there 9 years ago.

• Members

I visited Hue in 2013 & again in 2018.  I enjoyed my visits to the Citadel both times but I believe the restoration work had progressed in the interim.  (Nice photos by PeterRS!)  I also really liked visiting the tombs of the emperors, seven of them, built in the 19th & early 20th C, which are located outside the city.