PeterRS

Emirates Introduces A380 Premium Economy Cabin

Emirates has finally started to introduce a new Premium Economy Cabin on its A380 fleet. Dubai to/from London, Paris and Sydney will be the first cities served. From the website, it looks like it is located at the front of the lower deck. First row should therefore offer extra space.

https://www.emirates.com/th/english/experience/cabin-features/premium-economy-class/

Glad to know about this, Premium economy is becoming more popular nowadays than business class, I just read somewhere that Phillipines airlines were reducing their business class to mainly premium economy as well.

Because I hate  flying, I have always flew Business class ,takes a toll on my budget but I hated lining up in queues ,and being cramped in seats not to mention I always got some selfish person in front with their seat reclined 🙄

I love flying Emirates ,it's one of the best airlines in my opinion even for economy,looking at the link it looks more business class like however doesn't have the "bed type lay back " seats, that seemed to be the only difference.

More competition in Premium Economy is good to see.

However, having used Emirates on the last trip, the A380 economy seat was surprisingly comfortable, whilst on the other leg, the 777 economy seat was awful. 

So adding Premium Economy to the 777 is more critical for me.  

At the time I booked it was an A380 from London to Dubai, but there was no A380 option between Dubai and Bangkok.   I think they added the A380 shortly after, but not necessarily at a convenient time.

I just checked Emirates LHR to BKK, for around the time of my next trip.

Economy £508

Partial Premium Economy £910   -Premium economy London to Dubai and Economy from Dubai to Bangkok

However, that's one way !!!    

Back in the old days, EVA used to offer return flights in Premium Economy for around £900, which was my preferred choice.    The EVA website now offers Premium Economy (return) for my chosen dates for about £1900.   Economy £920.   

Irrespective of the pricing, I wouldn't book EVA until I see evidence of them already operating the flights.    Various airlines have broken promises about resuming flights.

For comparison, other airlines offer Premium Economy for about £1100 upwards, but with excessive stopover times.  

Sensible economy options available from other airlines at £500 up (sensible stopover times AND airlines that really have been operating flights).

[All comparisons using same dates]

• Members

Yes, the more, the merrier as far as premium economy is concerned!  I hope that Emirates starts offering PE in the US.

Because BKK is a such big hub, w/plenty of competition, it used to be that there were always good value options, like EVA PE (which I think is excellent).  But with so many carriers flying fewer flights (or not flying at all) & increased fuel costs, it's a much more challenging situation.  Singapore Airlines is the only carrier, as far as I can see, that is offering affordable PE fares from the US.  But, as z909 points out, it is necessary to check the stopover times.

I've never understood the appeal of Premium Economy. I'll usually just go Economy or Business. As I understand it, Premium Economy is just more legroom and free checked bags? (I'm 5'8" so the legroom is not really a bonus, though I could understand how it would be with taller individuals. And I travel light so the checked bags aren't much of a plus either.)