Riobard

A scabies adventure in Brazil

• Members

A friend caught scabies, or in this context, “sGAYbies”, the likely human skin-to-skin source either São Paulo or Rio sexcapades. Scabies is globally ubiquitous, so a bit surprising it has not come up here although poses a considerable hassle. He had not otherwise shared any clothing or linens and had been sleeping alone. However, common area seating and programas in areas commonly sequentially used by various venue inhabitants. 

He had intense itching at the base between two fingers and initially thought it could be a mosquito bite. I offered hydrocortisone cream, an item I actually carry around when travelling, and asked to have a look. An obvious characteristic mite burrow track; signs of incipient mite burrow tracks between other fingers both hands also evident.

He worried about the inconvenience of a private clinic check-up, say, the pricy Galdino Campos in Copacabana. I opined that he could self-diagnose based on the symptoms IF he felt comfortable. He worried about needing a physician prescription for dispensing. 

It was decided to case one of many pharmacies. Lo and behold were inexpensive standard topical treatment supplies right on the open area shelves. It was decided he would scrub down with a bar of benzyl benzoate soap, wash off, dry off, and apply a layer of permethrin lotion from his hairline down to the soles of his feet, including groin, penis short of urethral opening, and between buttocks, leaving on for at least 24 hours … keeping hands dry by wearing latex gloves for activities that would risk rubbing off the treatment, or re-applying permethrin to his hands over that period if necessary. A big fellow, he realized prior to the application tasks that he would need 2 tubes, and went to another drogaria where the pharmacist reached below right at his seating station for the same permethrin brand. This suggests that pharmacists are accustomed to selling infestation treatments.

He found that it was not ‘goopy’ and it absorbed much like any moisturizer. 

He went to a self-serve lavanderia where he washed and dried, at high heat, garments potentially secondarily infested. He left the hot drier on for several minutes for good measure after removing his dried clothing. Needless to say, this kind of situation is much easier if you are at your regular home with much more back-up apparel and linens. 

So far, so good, about a week later. No evidence of new burrow tracks. No additional pruritis; it had quickly remitted. I suppose that if you are fortunate the itching phenomenon may assist with early detection.

• Members

One thing I had not thought about at all. Yikes.

Gonorrhea is also rampant in the saunas but it's sometimes symptomless so people aren't aware. But it can still be spread to the next person who might not be symptomless.

• Members
40 minutes ago, davet said:

Gonorrhea is also rampant in the saunas but it's sometimes symptomless so people aren't aware. But it can still be spread to the next person who might not be symptomless.

Such an occupational hazard for which garotos de programa receive essentially no compensation. As a consumer with intermittent blocks of travel and close to failsafe STD protection measures I very infrequently need a sexual health clinic screening visit. In contrast, providers’ exposure along with their personal sexual partners’ vulnerability is relentless. Gonorrhea PrEP efficacy in clinical trials is proving to be mediocre and risks antimicrobial resistance.