12is12

Report on Soi 13 sauna, Taipei

On 6/18/2023 at 9:54 PM, 12is12 said:

I guess it's mostly because friends come together

This is very typical in Taipei. I think @hojacat will agree that it is relatively rare to see guys on their own. I certainly find this at the gayish Huang Tzu hot spring.

A note about Soi13in - you will not find it on Utopia Asia even though it has been open for several years now! I wrote to the webmaster around a couple of years ago to ask why it is not included. I can't recall what he replied but I think it was something to do with his having asked the sauna owner for some details and did not get a reply. Whatever the reason, it makes one wonder if other facilities in other cities are deliberately omitted from the Utopia-Asia site. If the Utopia-Asia webmaster is reading this, perhaps he can kindly post a reply. 

On 7/14/2023 at 7:54 PM, PeterRS said:

This is very typical in Taipei. I think @hojacat will agree that it is relatively rare to see guys on their own. I certainly find this at the gayish Huang Tzu hot spring.

Yeah, definitely true. I've had quite a few encounters at Soi13 where I started chitchatting with a guy, some touching and even kissing and then when offering to go to a cabin, he would say: "Oh, but I'm done for the night...just waiting for my friend to finish".

A note about Soi13in - you will not find it on Utopia Asia even though it has been open for several years now! I wrote to the webmaster around a couple of years ago to ask why it is not included. I can't recall what he replied but I think it was something to do with his having asked the sauna owner for some details and did not get a reply.

That used to be my go-to website for my first couple of trips to Asia. From around 2013 though I started using more travelgayasia.com (now just travelgay.com) as I  felt that it had more info and  user reviews than utopia, plus the website layout was much better. Once that website decided to go global and  not just focus on East and Southeast Asia, around 2018-2019, it started missing a lot of places and saw that the number of reviews went also down. (like the Nadam spa in Saigon that i mention in my other post which is not listed in there, even though it's the most popular sauna atm).

As for utopia-asia, I rarely visit it anymore. The UI feels prehistoric (it hasn't changed since I first visited it in 2008). I imagine their website traffic is way below their peak years.

Whatever the reason, it makes one wonder if other facilities in other cities are deliberately omitted from the Utopia-Asia site.

If we are talking about Taipei specifically, according to my Taiwan friends, Soi13 is still pretty much the only player in the area (including New Taipei and Taoyuan) and that's why they could raise their price. What the international gay travel websites are missing in Taiwan is the info about the outdoor cruising areas, which even with the high number of love hotels and MTVs are still quite popular in there, including with the young generation. You find them only on local websites (in Mandarin) or from local guys.