reader

Why Nepal could be the next big LGBTQ travel destination

From CNN

KathmanduCNN — 

As Nepal’s first openly gay parliamentarian, Sunil Babu Pant educated his colleagues on LGBTQ topics. More than a decade later, the former lawmaker and activist is sharing similar knowledge with locals and tourists on the capital’s streets.

On Saturdays, Pant hosts a heritage walk through the heart of Kathmandu, which is dotted with ancient temples, stupas and decrepit old houses that have withstood haphazard urbanization. The three-hour tour introduces the city’s matriarchal religious sites while exploring elements of gender and sexuality.

These sites, some in Hindu temples, feature paintings and wooden carvings with deities engaging in sexual acts, along with homoerotic illustrations and hermaphroditic figures.

“You’ll see a lot of nudity, it’s very normal … living in Kathmandu, it should be taken as pride, not shame,” says Pant. As he navigates the dusty streets, the aroma of incense, along with freshly brewed chiya, or milk tea, and traditional morning breakfast items – gwara mari, or fried dough balls, and the sweet fluffy malpuwa – in nearby shops fills the morning air.

Pant’s heritage tour, which he pioneered in 2010, is a personal endeavor, partly aimed at promoting LGBTQ tourism in the South Asian country. Now, the Nepal government is showing interest in investing in LGBTQ-specific services to tap into the multi-billion dollar “pink economy” and promote LGBTQ inclusion in the country’s tourism industry.

As an initial step, the Nepal Tourism Board – a quasi-government organization – partnered with the government-run Nepal Mountaineering Academy to launch the country’s first trekking guide training program for LGBTQ individuals in April. With Nepal banning solo trekkers this year, organizers say the new graduates will help meet demand from tourists specifically looking to hire LGBTQ guides.

image.thumb.jpeg.48b8fc59895a87c3910cbdf79711f76b.jpeg

Two male figures engage in a sexual act in this carving at a Kathmandu temple

Bibek Bhandari

Nepal, home to eight of the world’s 10 highest mountains, is considered to be an ideal trekking destination. Though there is no official data, anecdotal evidence suggests many LGBTQ travelers visit the country, making it “important to train people who are comfortable with them and understand them better,” says Himal Pandit, coordinator of the training program.

The 25 trainees gathered for their final lesson at a Kathmandu wall-climbing center on a hot June morning hope to bridge that gap. Four trainees told CNN they participated after recognizing a lack of government-licensed LGBTQ trekking guides and wished to work in the field while catering to the LGBTQ community.

Continues at

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/nepal-lgbt-tourism-intl-hnk-cmd/index.html

Nepal is a fantastic country. It's not only the ancient temples and buildings in Kathmandu and in the towns in the Kathmandhu valley, there are several temples with erotic carvings, including this one in Patan's central square.

Patan_Durbar_Square_lrcopy.thumb.jpeg.5848110cb213c215ac2c7af97eb29e26.jpeg

Erotic_Carving2copy.thumb.jpeg.25ad90991a9aa0e63be1970f8343c20c.jpeg

Temple_Erotic_Carvingcopy.thumb.jpeg.a922d089cb5e8243ddbf2896318f3148.jpeg

I visited two times for a week each in 1980 and 2008. Each time I found so much of interest and fascination. My only hope is that all the ancient buildings that were destroyed in the double earthquakes in 2015 have been restored by now.

Kathmandu_Durbar_Squarecopy.thumb.jpeg.1f94c3beb4c5eba9cc632adb897e2563.jpeg

Bhaktapur_Animal_Temple_lrjpgcopy.thumb.jpeg.e570ba1e575cdacac394bfbe29b392c8.jpeg

If you decide to go, you MUST visit Pokhara, now a city literally at the foot of the Annapurna range. Go to a lookout vantage point outside the town while it is still dark and then watch and be amazed as dawn breaks over the mighty Annapurna mountains. These are relatively close being just across a small valley. One peak is over 8,000 meters, another 13 over 7,000 meters and 16 over 6,000 meters. It is a totally awe-inspiring sight even if you hit a morning which is not crystal clear.

Western_Half_of_Annapurna_Rangecopy.thumb.jpeg.ce4831f833612c80bfa429fc2409b023.jpeg

Machapuchare_in_the_Annapurna_Rangecopy.thumb.jpeg.598b9831afd7da86b6ecbdb25302bcb2.jpeg

I did not check out sex in Nepal but I am sure there is plenty. These boys with their tricycles seemed interesting but I did not approach.

Kathmandu_Transportcopy.thumb.jpeg.202d89a0eda2916b1375f11087fb7010.jpeg

10 hours ago, vinapu said:

Thanka (Buddist painting ) from the shop on the right in front of tree still hangs in the wall in my condo. Painted on canvass made from flour bag- talk about recycling

Fascinating. I also purchased a Buddhist tanka from Nepal on my first visit but I cannot remember from which shop. The painting is very detailed. About 15 years ago the cloth covering was getting rather moth-eaten and I found a Nepalese shop selling the tankas in Silom Complex. The owner said he thought mine might be an antique (but purchased for almost nothing!). His brother was returning to Nepal on a shopping trip the following week and he took my tanka to be recovered. I love the new colours. Sadly that shop disappeared from Silom Complex and I do not know where it is now located. A google search might find it, though.

image0.jpeg.6366983e2dddc496076f8c35337a3daf.jpeg