macdaddi

Canadian Visitors Must Pay new Entrance Fee in Colombia (Nov 2023)

• Members

Effective November 1, 2023 all Canadian visitors to Colombia must pay a new COP 356.000 visitor entrance fee upon arrival.

This is part of an ongoing dispute between the two countries over Visa requirements, and the additional cost of biometric data associated with Canadian tourist visas.

https://www.ey.com/en_gl/tax-alerts/certain-canadian-nationals-now-subject-to-entry-fee-when-traveling-to-colombia

If you have a long-term visitor visa (USD $177) for an extended visitor stay over 180 days, those Canadian travelers are exempt from this fee.

I was with a man yesterday (dorian) who has multiple passports.  he arrived 3 days ago and saw no line so he used his canadian passport.  when they asked for the fee, he was surprised, took back that passport nd gave them his french one.  no fee no problem.   but whatever the reason is, there is currently a fee.

• Members
On 11/18/2023 at 10:21 AM, macdaddi said:

Effective November 1, 2023 all Canadian visitors to Colombia must pay a new COP 356.000 visitor entrance fee upon arrival.

Fixing my typo - the fee is COP 256.000, current rates put that at $85 CAD

Thanks for this. I'm going on Tuesday and hadn't heard about it. Years ago I spent a few days in Bangkok getting visas for Laos and Vietnam. At the Lao office there was a list on the wall of what various nationalities had to pay for the visa. The highest fee was for Canadians. The others in the waiting room were all wanting to know Canada had done to piss off Laos. I had no idea. They don't like our "haughtiness?" Which I heard one American on a panel show describe once as an annoying trait in Canadians.

• Members

Won't go into the history, but Colombia (like Brazil) is reacting to new biometric requirements for tourist visas for Colombians, which are very expensive. This was resolved in 2020, but when Canada changed the tourist visa requirements again, Colombia re-introduced the visa fee.

When I went to Colombia in mid-January there was one station in the Bogota airport's customs hall with a credit card handset designated for Canadians to pay the fee. But there wasn't any kind of notice posted about it. So after a longish wait to get to the front of the line, I realized I could have just gone directly to that station where there would have been a short wait or no wait at all to clear customs. As you walk into the hall, it's the very last station on the left hand side.