Bingo T Dog

The GOP . Guess they don't believe in the freedom of speech.

• Members

As much as I sympathize with the sentiment, as a former government employee and union member, I must note that government employees must be careful both of what they do during work hours, and of taking work actions while under contract/MOU. We did organize and protest the murder of George Floyd, but we did the protest during our non-work hours. Protesting during their non-work hours (such as during the week-end) should not be problematic. Our union leaders made it very clear that even such a minor action such as delaying submission of billing sheets could lead to suspension or termination. There are ways to make our voices heard without breaking the law. 

• Members
On 1/15/2024 at 7:21 AM, unicorn said:

Our union leaders made it very clear that even such a minor action such as delaying submission of billing sheets could lead to suspension or termination. There are ways to make our voices heard without breaking the law. 

Agreed. 

But perhaps the point here is that there are ways to make their voices heard BY breaking the law.  I have no idea how far they are willing to go. 

There is certainly a growing chasm between young Democrats who see Netanyahu as Mr. Apartheid, and Israeli Jews who support Plan Netanyahu.  Even as they blame the bloodbath that is a predictable result of Plan Netanyahu on Netanyahu.  Even though they want Bibi to go bye bye, polls show most Jewish Israelis agree with Netanyahu's rejection of a two state solution.  And most Palestinians have lost faith in a two state solution, or pretty much any road to peace.  So time will not heal this wound.  It will deepen it.  

There have been a few loud resignations of diplomat/State Dept. types who said it's worth losing my job over this.  I think the road is more likely to get bumpier than smoother.  Like it or not, which I don't, it seems to me that a majority of Israeli Jews are committed to an apartheid state as the de facto solution.  Which, unfortunately, involves killing lots of Palestinian women and children.  Like ir or not, which I don't, Palestinians are becoming more and more committed to the idea that the point of a permanent war with Israeli Jews is to kill Israeli Jews.  It's ugly.  Predictable, but ugly.

The other question is whether any of these walk outs or protests are even effective.  In general, without singling out any particular event or tactic, I think the answer is clearly YES.  49 % of Democrats now say the US does not support Palestinians enough. Only 14 % say we support Palestinians too much. Among Independents, 34 % say we support Palestinians too little, and 28 % say we support them too much. All these numbers are a big shift from when the bloodbath started.  Although it probably has less to do with US political protests.  And more to do with what people read about the the death toll of Palestinian women and children.