Olddaddy

Is Thailand recognised marriage?

I saw on another forum a guy from the UK asking if Thailand has legal same sex marriage to be recognised in the UK or Australia

I can only find news articles from December 2023 saying they are considering it .

Anyone here in the ground running know 

So if you were to bring back a Thai same sex partners to the UK or Australia what South East Asia country can you marry in that is legallly recognised marriage 

• Members

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking where Thai same-sex partners can marry nearest to Thailand. While legal in most of the Western Hemisphere, Europe, and Australia/New Zealand, there is so far only one country in Asia (Taiwan) and one country in Africa (South Africa) which allow same-sex marriage. You can find more information on Wikipedia. My understanding is that in Asia, Japan and Cambodia are the most likely to legalize same-sex marriage next.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage

Countries in dark blue have full same-sex marriage on an equivalent basis to gender-divergent marriage:

660px-World_marriage-equality_laws.svg.png

Among those countries which do not require visas for Thai citizens (in green), it looks as though the main choices are Taiwan, South Africa, or various South American countries. If a Thai person were to marry a citizen of one of the dark blue countries above, in most cases he'd be allowed to live there permanently, and eventually become a citizen if he stayed clean of the law.

800px-Visa_requirements_for_Thai_citizens.png

If a Thai person were to marry a citizen of the US, EU, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand, he would carry two passports which would be very powerful indeed, since he could visit almost every country without a visa, with the exception of some truly weird ones one would never want to visit anyway, such as Venezuela, Algeria, Libya, Yemen, Afghanistan, and the Central African Empire (I mean Republic 😉).

• Members
15 minutes ago, vinapu said:

You can't get Bokassa off your head ?

I always thought that he was the most ridiculous figure ever in the history of the planet. And the name of the 2nd largest city also cracks me up: Bimbo. I suspect it's a country I'll never visit. Of the countries I wouldn't visit today, but would like to someday if the political climate improves, I'd probably like to see Iran, Burma, and Yemen's Socotra Island the most. 

Central African Republic Maps & Facts - World Atlas

Central African Republic – Mammal Watching

I'd rather see Socotra Island:

Travel to Socotra - Everything You Ought to Know

How to travel to Socotra - Untamed Borders - Adventure travel

6 hours ago, unicorn said:

I can only wonder if a visit to Yemen will be possible during my lifetime...

visit is always possible , only we are not brave enough to go and rightly so. 

View on 2nd picture is similar to one on reverse of the 100 rials Yemeni note 

P1430980.thumb.JPG.824ea3950f773398a4a1dfdc9ce651aa.JPG