reader

Son of Spanish actor goes on trial over Thai island murder

From Thai PBS World

image.thumb.jpeg.db327d57fcdd1cae7183fc3642817407.jpeg

Koh Samui – The murder trial of a famous Spanish actor’s son opened Tuesday on a popular Thai tourist island, where he will face charges of killing another foreigner.

Chef Daniel Sancho Bronchalo, 29, pleaded not guilty at a hearing in November to the murder of 44-year-old Colombian plastic surgeon Edwin Arrieta Arteaga on the nearby Koh Pha Ngan island.

The trial opened Tuesday on the honeymoon isle of Koh Samui, with scores of Spanish reporters flying in — despite being barred from the tiny courtroom.

Sancho’s father, well-known Spanish actor Rodolfo Sancho, arrived at court shortly after 8:30 am (0130 GMT).

“He is fine,” he said, declining to answer any further questions.

Sancho has been in pre-trial detention in Thailand since August, after police said he had admitted to the murder.

Under Thai law, premeditated murder convictions carry the death penalty. However, Arrieta’s family previously said they would not seek the death penalty.

Sancho has admitted to hiding Arrieta’s body — which carries up to a year in jail — but he denies the second charge of destroying the Colombian’s passport.

Police found body parts that are believed to belong to Arrieta in early August at a rubbish dump in Koh Pha Ngan.

CCTV footage obtained by local media showed Sancho and the victim on a motorcycle together shortly before the remains were discovered.

Police said in August Sancho’s motive for the killing was unclear.

• Members
16 hours ago, reader said:

...Police said in August Sancho’s motive for the killing was unclear.

Any speculation as to the motive? In Thailand, is the application of the death penalty up to the victim's family? Is this thought to be a gay sex thing?

• Members

Yeah, sounds like a sextortion problem:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12388145/Celebrity-chefs-naked-photos-led-murder-YouTuber-blackmailed-lover-threatened-intimate-images-relationship-ended.html

74120853-12388145-The_YouTuber_chef_is_believed_to_have_wanted_to_split_from_Arrie-a-12_1691578578098.jpg

"A celebrity chef who has been charged with murdering his lover in Thailand saw killing him as the only option after he was allegedly blackmailed with intimate images, according to reports. Daniel Sancho Bronchalo, 29, the son of two Spanish film stars, was arrested for the killing and dismemberment of Columbian surgeon Edwin Arrieta Arteaga after Thai police found body parts in a rubbish dump. Before the killing, the YouTuber chef is believed to have wanted to split from Arrieta, 44, which the doctor refused to allow - reportedly threatening to publish pictures of his partner...".

It appears his ex-boyfriend had a much shorter haircut:

74019477-12388145-Police_say_the_body_of_Edwin_Arrieta_Arteaga_pictured_was_found_-a-13_1691578653812.jpg

• Members

Reading more about the murders, the murderer seems like a complete jackass. He actually was filmed on CCTV the day before the murder going to WalMart on the island, buying a knife, saw, large plastic trash containers, and cleaning supplies. 🙄 The two actually had a room booked together. The murderer actually led the police to the various parts of the island where he'd disposed of the body parts, including a trash dump. It seems like a rather open-and-shut case. 

I've been closely following this case, much to my dismay since I wish I could avoid it.

Being fluent in Spanish and having many ties and friends in Barcelona, it's incredibly infuriating how the blame has been placed on the Colombian doctor. They've gone as far as to suggest that the doctor wanted to rape the younger Spaniard, and that the Spaniard bought the knife to cut coconuts, despite not buying any coconuts or meat to cut, and purchasing trash bags to use as umbrellas for the rain. It's so frustrating—I can't help but put myself in the position, and it's scary of the violence, and because of the media defending a "straight guy" young attractive and, painted press words “halo effect”  against an older male. The father of the killer is a Spanish actor who already has a documentary series on HBO Max where he claims his son was in a vulnerable age, even though the guy is 29 years old. Single. Never married without a stable job. The Dr was already a famous surgeon in Colombia and chile nad want to open another clinic in Barcelona so he can live and support his killer. 
crazy 🤬😳😡😡😡

24 minutes ago, Connordrick said:

I've been closely following this case, much to my dismay since I wish I could avoid it.

Being fluent in Spanish and having many ties and friends in Barcelona, it's incredibly infuriating how the blame has been placed on the Colombian doctor. They've gone as far as to suggest that the doctor wanted to rape the younger Spaniard, and that the Spaniard bought the knife to cut coconuts, despite not buying any coconuts or meat to cut, and purchasing trash bags to use as umbrellas for the rain. It's so frustrating—I can't help but put myself in the position, and it's scary of the violence, and because of the media defending a "straight guy" young attractive and, painted press words “halo effect”  against an older male. The father of the killer is a Spanish actor who already has a documentary series on HBO Max where he claims his son was in a vulnerable age, even though the guy is 29 years old. Single. Never married without a stable job. The Dr was already a famous surgeon in Colombia and chile nad want to open another clinic in Barcelona so he can live and support his killer. 
crazy 🤬😳😡😡😡

Another example of the way the press, and social media can twist facts. Unfortunately,  it was ever thus!

• Members
11 hours ago, Connordrick said:

... he claims his son was in a vulnerable age, even though the guy is 29 years old. Single. Never married without a stable job...

Yeah, what a load of crap. I'm guessing the Spanish murderer won't get his just deserts. 

File:SQ Lethal Injection Room.jpg - Wikipedia