TotallyOz

Bread Machines and Coffee Makers in Thailand: Where and How Much?

As I have said before, I am in love with my Vitamix. I use it daily. I can't seem to get enough. So, I have decided to take the plunge and get a few more appliances. I am not sure the best place to shop for great deals and good quality.

I want two things.

1. A bread machine. I had one in the USA and loved it. I think it is time to get another one. Can you easily find one here? What about getting the packaged mixes?

2. A Coffee Machine that makes Lattes. I had a Nespresso in USA and loved it. I didn't think they would have the small cups in Thailand so I left in USA. I found these in the mall at Central Festival and was happy to find them. However, their machines were the smaller ones that did not make the Latte. Anyone seen these in Thailand or have recommendations of another brand? I want something easy and fast and that makes a great cup of coffee.

In Pattaya, they used to carry bread machines on the top floor of Central Festival, but I think they stopped carrying them. You might as well have a look. That is the only place in Pattaya I've ever seen them for sale.

I bought mine on the top floor of the Pargon in Bangkok. I paid 9000 baht for it there. Naturally, after I had already bought it, that's when I spotted them at Central Festival. Same make and model as mine was being sold there for nearly 3000 baht less than I paid in Bangkok.

In Pattaya, I've seen bread mixes at Makro, Villa Market, and Foodland, but I don't buy them. It's so simple to use "regular" ingredients and there is a wide variety of flours available in Pattaya as well as yeast. Do a Google search for bread machine recipes and hundreds and hundreds will come up. I use my bread machine to make everything from rye bread to baguettes and bagels.

I have no idea where to buy the kind of coffee machine you're looking for. If nobody else knows, you might ask the managers at some of the restaurants and coffee shops where they got theirs.

I have a few bread machine recipes on my board.

http://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5148

http://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4618

http://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3841

http://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3535

Gaybutton, some great recipes. Thanks. I didn't know you were a lover of bread machines. I had my first one about 20 years ago and loved it. I love the smell each day as well.

Jomtien, why no prices on their site? :)

koko, how could I ever forget your brand! Yummy!

Guest jomtien

Jomtien, why no prices on their site? :)

Since when are you concerned about price????? I bought MY coffee machine there, so they have at least one poor man's model :p

I didn't know you were a lover of bread machines.

I've been using bread machines ever since they first came out. I haven't bought commercial breads in years.

One further tip: In most recipes, make sure you're using bread flour, not all purpose flour. It does make a significant difference.

A second tip: If a recipe gives you a choice between making a large loaf or a small loaf, I always make the small loaf. You might have to make the bread more often, but with use of the timer, I think it's worth doing - nothing like waking up to the odor of a fresh, hot loaf of bread baking . . .

A third tip: If you don't like the "dent" made by the mixing blade, when the bread is ready to begin its final rise, remove the dough, take out the blade, and replace the dough. Now you won't have the "dent." I almost never do that, though. The "dent" doesn't bother me.

The "dent" doesn't bother me.

So some people are bothered by the dent. I know I can be dense at times but surely if the dent was a design fault on one particular model it could have been un-dented.

I have been following this thread as I am keen to get a bread machine for Christmas! One reason - but not the main one - for wanting one is the salt issue. One hears about the amount of salt in bread being quite high and if you eat so many slices of the manufactured stuff you will use up your daily recommended safe limit of salt. So, what do other bread machine owners do? Do you use less salt or the same as a bought loaf? If less, can you still manage to bake a nice-tasting loaf. The smell may be wonderful, the undented appearance appealing but if it doesn't taste that great that's quite a detraction.

The dent is caused by the mixing blade. Maybe somebody will eventually come up with a different technology, but without the blade, there is no way to mix the ingredients and knead the dough. It doesn't bother me because it extends only about ¼ inch into the bread.

Regarding salt, most recipes call for between 1 to 1½ teaspoons of salt. My instruction booklet says the salt is used primarily to stop the rising process. Besides, the latest medical information says now salt is not dangerous to your health after all. Even so, 1½ teaspoons of salt distributed over an entire loaf of bread - I don't think there would be enough to worry about in a slice or two. In any case, the amount of salt used in home-made bread is very likely far less than the amount of salt used in commercial loaves.

The bread machine is another one of those things that I saw no particular use for until I had one. Now I wouldn't want to be without it. It's best, though, if you also have an oven. If you want to make things like bagels, baguettes, etc, the bread machine will knead and prepare the dough, but you would still need an oven to bake those sorts of things. But for loaves, the bread machine does the whole thing. All you have to do is put in the ingredients, turn on the bread machine, and a little less than 4 hours later, there's your loaf.

The only other tip I can think of at the moment is some recipes that call for baking in an oven instead of the bread machine, the recipe says to use a greased baking sheet. I used to to that, but I didn't like it because the oven tends to french fry the bottom of the loaf - at least when I do it. I've never found a way to avoid that. So, I don't use a greased baking sheet at all. Instead I use baking parchment. For 279 baht you can get a 50m roll of it at Makro. For me, that's enough to last at least two years or more - and you don't have to grease it.

Regarding salt, most recipes call for between 1 to 1½ teaspoons of salt.

This seems like a useful website.

http://www.sustainweb.org/realbread/salt_in_bread/

The Real Bread Campaign urges all Real Bread (and other) bakers to look at the salt level you are using in your loaves, and to lower it if you exceed the 1% of loaf weight target.

For home baking

Here's an example recipe for a basic tin loaf of white Real Bread:

500g/ml stoneground white bread flour

300g/ml water

8g fresh (or 4g dried active - not instant/fast acting) yeast

6g salt (a level 5ml teaspoon of salt should weigh around 5.5-6.5g)*

= total 814g

When baked, this loaf should weigh about 650g or just over, and so should have a salt content of 1% or less.

So, if you see a recipe based on 500g flour that asks for 2tsp, 10g or more salt - that is way too much!

So a teaspoon of salt per loaf seems about right.

Besides, the latest medical information says now salt is not dangerous to your health after all.

I was not aware of that.

I was in Central Festival, Pattaya today. On the third floor, just outside the entrance to the main department store, a set of small appliances were being sold, one of which was a bread machine. That may be the only one. I checked the kitchenware department on their 5th floor and didn't see any others.

This one was being sold new, at 4550 baht. At that price, it's an absolute steal. If you or anyone else still wants a bread machine, I'd get over there and grab it - fast - before it's gone.

If I was living in Pattaya I'd definitely go along and take a look, but I'm not. Thanks for the tip though. Let's hope another GT member decides to buy one. Would be interesting to hear how a first-time bread machine user gets on with one.

Guest thaiworthy

On ThaiVisa there were several members recommending Versasu, right across from the US Embassy on Wireless Rd. So I checked their website and they have a model on sale for 3999 baht, reduced from 6500 baht. I never heard of the brand, HomeMate, but that's not a bad price.

http://www.verasu.com/product_detail.php?pid=1015

And here's another:

http://www.verasu.com/product_detail.php?pid=967

Hmmm.....you blonde, Michael? You can get the yeast off a hooker on Beach Road. (I apologize in advance to those who haven't eaten dinner yet).

LOL I have not really understood until this moment why GB always has yeast available to him at the wink of an eye. This explains why I see him on Beach Road every AM.

Got it. :) Thanks for the heads up!

I'm glad you got it. I made the dough for baguettes with mine. I found the secret for getting that crunchy crust baguettes are supposed to have. Get a small spray bottle. Put ice cold water in it and mist spray the baguettes a few times while they're baking in the oven.

I just had Gaybutton's Oatmeal Bread. It was great! The guys and I loved it. Thanks GB for the recipe.

We are now making the Garlic Bread. :) They can't get enough and they seem to love making it and eating it. (day 1 mind you so I am sure their interest will wean much like it does with everything)

Guest thaiworthy

OK. We have had the bread machine for a few weeks now and we love it.

No wonder you're having electrical problems. You're on a power overload from running too many appliances. Maybe all at the same time?!