TotallyOz

Bread Machines and Coffee Makers in Thailand: Where and How Much?

Our favorite so far is the Beer Cheese Bread.

How about posting the recipes for the beer cheese bread and any others you really like. I, for one, would like to give them a try.

Do you like bagels? I found a recipe for making bagels using the bread machine to make the dough. They come out really good. I've been making them and giving them out to friends and the bagels have gotten excellent responses. Two New Yorkers told me they are almost as good as any you can get in New York, and if anybody knows bagels, it's New Yorkers. And they're really easy to make.

You'll find the recipe at: http://www.gaybutton....php?f=6&t=5148

Thanks for the Bagels. I love them but it seems too hard for me. :)

Beer-Cheese Bread Ingredients:

Cooking Directions: -------- ------------ --------------------------------

=== LARGE 1 1/2 lb LOAF ===

10 ounces flat beer

3 cups bread flour

1 tablespoon sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 1/2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk

1 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast

1 tablespoon margarine

2 ounces Monterey Jack cheese -- shredded

Add all ingredients in order recommended by machine manufacturer. Select

"white bread" setting; crust color medium.

This recipe yields 1 loaf.

http://www.bread-machine-recipes.com/recipes/beercheese_bread.html

Thanks for the Bagels. I love them but it seems too hard for me. :)

At first I thought you were just being funny, but having read the recipe via the link given by GB in post #26 I have to say I'd probably feel the same way.

I haven't even left the blocks yet; but with Christmas on the horizon I hope to be joining the ranks shortly thereafter.

Is it really true that the secret 'ingredient' of New York bagels is the water used? NYC tap water?

If so, that echoes claims that certain beers brewed in Britain derive their distinctive characters from the local water supply. For example Burton on Trent has traditionally been the home of English ale.

Guest fountainhall

And you might have added, Rogie, the peaty water that gives many single malt Scotch whiskies their distinctive flavours.

But I cannot seriously believe that tap water is used in NYC! When I made my first ever flight to the USA in the late 1970s, I remember the Immigration officer in London asking the lady in front of me where she'd be flying to. Spain, she said. "Well, don't drink the tap water," he replied. After looking at my passport, he asked the same question. When I told him New York, he said, "And you take the same advice!" And I have never once drunk tap water in New York in all my 30+ trips!

And you might have added, Rogie, the peaty water that gives many single malt Scotch whiskies their distinctive flavours.

Yes indeed, another good example, plus when sampling a neat cask-aged single malt Scotch it should be diluted with water from a reliable source, perhaps spring water from the Campsie Fells?

And I have never once drunk tap water in New York in all my 30+ trips!

Maybe when you first visited NYC over 30 years ago it was still a crime-ridden city. I believe it has been cleaned up considerably so that it is now a very safe city.

It would seem the tap water, as Firecat assures us, is now most drinkable!

Thanks for the Bagels. I love them but it seems too hard for me.

I'm going to try the beer cheese bread recipe soon. As for the bagels being hard to make, try it once and see. I find it very simple and easy to do. There's a little more to it than putting ingredients into the bread machine, turning it on, and waiting, but there's really nothing to it. And they sure come out good.

2. A Coffee Machine that makes Lattes. I had a Nespresso in USA and loved it. I didn't think they would have the small cups in Thailand so I left in USA. I found these in the mall at Central Festival and was happy to find them. However, their machines were the smaller ones that did not make the Latte. Anyone seen these in Thailand or have recommendations of another brand? I want something easy and fast and that makes a great cup of coffee.

I just decided to bring my own for this trip. I love the way Nespresso makes their coffee and the tastes. I didn't want to pay the high Thai prices so I brought my own with enough coffee for a bit.

I am just so excited that I can finally make a great cup of coffee every AM!

I know I said in the Starbuck's thread I seldom drink coffee and that was largely true. . . .until recently; however my father bought a Nespresso machine and now every time I visit him almost the first thing I do is rush into the kitchen and set up a brew.

He's just gone away on holiday and guess what? I've pinched it for my own use in his absence!

Guest Devint6669

At the shop close to my home in The Tesco Pinklao Establishment there have a shop that will sell a good Colombian coffee and it not to expensive

I just decided to bring my own for this trip. I love the way Nespresso makes their coffee and the tastes. I didn't want to pay the high Thai prices so I brought my own with enough coffee for a bit.

Does it make the coffee twice as fast using 220 volts?

Guest Devint6669

I do not think so because he will need adapter for be able to make it work in Thailand.... But this very funny...lololol

I don't know. I normally start a cup when I am getting ready to have sex and by the time I have finished and showered, the cup is almost ready to drink. :)

Guest travelerjim

Michael,

I suspect you had this Nespresso machine onboard with you during your flights to Bangkok?

Nothing too good for our dear friend Michael...if you shared it with the cute Purser & flight attendants as well :p

tj

Guest fountainhall

With assorted Dreamliners now going up in smoke, I'd strongly suggest not plugging a Nespresso machine into that aircraft's power system. Remember Saudi Arabia Airlines Flight 163 on19 August 1980? This was carrying pilgrims from Karachi and Riyadh to Mecca.

Many brought with them all the things they'd need to live inexpensively whilst in Mecca.  Unfortunately, many had never flown before and had packed gas stoves in their luggage. A fire on board the L-1011 aircraft resulted in an emergency landing but all 301 passengers and crew were killed.

At first it was suspected that one group, unaware that meals were being served, had fired up their stove in the cabin - a practice actually tolerated by some Middle Eastern airlines at the time! The investigation concluded that the fire had actually started in the hold - but the butane stoves were responsible.

Guest travelerjim

fh...

I never cease to be amazed by your wealth of detailed information...

you are a walking - talking Google - on two feet :good:

From your "most prized possession" to "butane stoves on L-1011's"...

such amazing recall...

Take good care fh...I do appreciate and welcome reading your posts. :yahoo:

tj

p.s. You mentioned in a recent reply...when discussing the aging FA's on Delta,

that you had seen a very cute Purser on one of your flights...

Did you manage to have him check out the problem you were having in the

handicapped toilet in Business Class?

and...Just how long did it take him to fix the "problem" ??? :p

I am sure you were pleased with his attention to the problem.

Guest fountainhall

Many thanks, Jim, although perhaps I should assure you I am not yet in the position of having to use a disabled toilet  :good:

Actually the flight attendant was on Cathay Pacific, an airline which does not have handicapped toilets in business class where I happened to be sitting. But there was plenty of room in the galley where we did manage to have our little chat. Unfortunately, several of his female colleagues were twittering to and fro and so I could not get down to basics, as it were. His attention, though, was certainly extremely pleasing. And I have his phone number :p so eventually I'll have an encounter more pleasant than one in a 'broken' aircraft toilet, I trust!

Guest travelerjim

AAh but Fh...

The disabled designated toilets are much larger in depth & width (by 50%+) vs standard size toilets found on the planes...

and the stainless steel hold assist bars could be helpful in such a situation as you may find :p ...

tj

Should I have put more yeast in it?

The short answer is I don't know. 

I've used several recipes that make a smaller loaf and they're designed to make a smaller loaf.  If you try it with more yeast, I wouldn't use too much more - maybe a quarter or half teaspoon more at most.  If you put in too much yeast, you'll end up spending quite awhile cleaning up the resulting mess.

2 hours ago, TotallyOz said:

During Covid, I found the use of a bread machine wonderful.  Every week I cook one or two loafs of fresh bread. I still love the Beer Cheese bread. But, I've also tried many other things. I found this great site for some flour and kitchen supplies.

https://www.schmidt.co.th/en//

I have been getting a lot of use and value out of my bread maker too. The smell of freshly baked bread and fresh coffee takes me right back to my grandmother's kitchen at age 7!  So many people started baking their own bread during Covid that the machines sold out and yeast/flour got very hard to find. I was glad I had stocked up on a good supply.  Yesterday I used the machine to knead the dough for today's picnic. Made New England style hot dog buns. Bring on the extra relish!!