Guest timmberty

gay romeo.. and then it hit me !

Guest timmberty

we all hear about how gay romeo is affecting the go go bars and the beer bars, but how bad is it in comparison ?

big business is dying due to the internet, in england 3 of the giants of the high street are going/gone to the wall, hmv, blockbuster video + comets ...

10,000 jobs are at risk, and all bar a couple of thousand probably wont be saved.

so why should we worry if a few dozen boys stop boring themselves silly of a night, if they choose to use the internet to hook up with a client rather than a bar ?

the internet is destroying more than anyone could have ever thought possible, im sure the odd go go bar isnt a big thing in the grand scheme.

wadda you think ?

Guest terrychris

I have tended to use gay romeo this trip with only one bad experience.

Convenience,no need to travel,no need to sit in a boring bar,no off fee,no need to arrange travel for boy to come back to my room,etc.

As long as the boys pics are genuine then its not a problem,GR wins most times.

The bars dont seem fun,its ok if you want some company I guess,thats if you like to talk with others,but straight beer bars are more socialble and fun I believe,

I wonder what the next stage of GR will be ?

The jobs are still there, but not in the stores or the shops, but on-line or in different locations.  E.G., you mentioned the go-go bars that employs around 20 to 30 boys at the very best.  They must be there ten hours unless they get a customer, the owners have to pay big bribes to the brown mice and thus have to charge ridiculous drink prices, and your only advantage is that you get to be up close to the boy while you make up your mind.  On line you have thousands of boys who can also work other jobs earning money, no crooked brown mice, and you can write to ten boys at once and make up your mind.  In the long run I am sure more boys will make more money on-line then in the go-go bars, and as a secondary plus more boys will be encouraged to learn English to meet you on-line.  Now take records and videos.  Yes, stores are closing but as a result we get far more tours now by the artist and they pack the arenas and stadiums.  The money is now in these tours and not in the records, and the theaters now are offering a more enjoyable experience and adding things like 3D, and the once dead movie house are making a come back. I could go on and on and mention how radio---once thought dead because of tv--has also made a comeback as it has found a new niche.  Yes, technology and the internet does replace some things, but at the same time it creates new jobs and new opportunities for all of us.

Guest terrychris

Another advantage of GR is you get to meet boys who are not bar boys but everyday boys who work normal jobs and want to earn money secretely on the side,so they wouldnt dare step or been seen in a gay area.

Guest fountainhall
Another advantage of GR is you get to meet boys who are not bar boys but everyday boys who work normal jobs and want to earn money secretely on the side,so they wouldnt dare step or been seen in a gay area.

In Bangkok, there are certainly many GR boys who are perfectly happy to meet up for no money at all.

I agree the internet is destroying a lot of businesses which once seemed unbeatable. But the reason for that, I suggest, is not the internet. It is the fact that the management of those businesses have - for the most part - failed to keep up with the fast advance of technology. In the last couple of months, I have been in HMV stores in London and Hong Kong. The way of displaying CDs has hardly changed since the CD was introduced 30 years ago. Compared to iTunes, it is hugely difficult finding a particular classical CD, for example.

The same is true of many of the gogo bars. Unfortunately, though, with all the new tourists to Thailand, there will always be a customer base for the existing bar format and little incentive to come up with new ideas, even as gayromeo and other networking sites become more attractive.

I am a big fan of GayRomeo and use it extensively both in BKK and Pattaya.  I find it very useful in Pattaya because there are boys available 24 hours a day unlike the 4 hours of a GoGo Bar.

Experience teaches you how to weed out the fake pics etc and once in awhile you will get someone who does not match the pics .  The boys are motivated to do what was promised online or they know they might leave with nothing. 

Where as the Bar Boys sometimes just need an off and will promise all to get it.  Sometimes they won't deliver but count on you paying something so that you will not be seen as an undesirable the next time you return to the Bar. You never have this problem with GayRomeo.

That being said when a Bar like ToyBoys puts 40 attractive Boys on stage they still are able to get my attention and my business.  I still consider the price of drinks low compared to what is offered for eye candy and possible company later.

As for the BIB & the bars, well they have a revenue model with contributions to their coffers from the bars.

Perhaps Gay Romeo is below their radar at the moment. If Gay Romeo eventually takes too much business from the bars, how would the BIB generate income from it?  With sting operations perhaps?   Or will there always be enough bars to generate incomes?

Also I much prefer to meet people in bars.  What you see is usually what you get.

Guest Jovianmoon

Internet dating has always been a dead loss for me. 

The lure of bars and clubs is getting out there and meeting people. I may or may not get sex or romance by the end of the night, but I've still had some fun. Admittedly back home here I don't go out to clubs and bars any more, but I really enjoy getting out in Thailand, whether to Soi 4 or DJ Station in Bangkok or a gogo bar in Pattaya. Just to get out there. Ordering home delivery might be preferable for food - Domino's or whatever, but not for company. That just takes the fun and thrill out of the hunt!

It will truly be a shame if internet/phone app hook-ups ultimately take everyone off the streets.

Guest timmberty

i found this on one of the boys profiles today ..

*Work in pattaya and stay in saimcuntycup*

i do belive thats a cup i wouldnt want to be taking a drink out of.

i know its been done before as a post, but some of the translations on gay romeo are worthy of a book

we all hear about how gay romeo is affecting the go go bars and the beer bars, but how bad is it in comparison ?

big business is dying due to the internet, in england 3 of the giants of the high street are going/gone to the wall, hmv, blockbuster video + comets ...

10,000 jobs are at risk, and all bar a couple of thousand probably wont be saved.

so why should we worry if a few dozen boys stop boring themselves silly of a night, if they choose to use the internet to hook up with a client rather than a bar ?

the internet is destroying more than anyone could have ever thought possible, im sure the odd go go bar isnt a big thing in the grand scheme.

wadda you think ?

My apologies for resurrecting old thread but couldn't resist.

For years on all boards there's doom and gloom predicting demise of go-go bars but somehow they endure.

If there's decline reason for this may be attributed to technology like GR, some cause  is industry internal as I have impression that  it looks that number of massage places and beer/host bars  increased, some may be attributed to worsening economic conditions in the West and to improving ones in Thailand. Also demographic may   be culprit with lower number of young people looking for opportunities in the sex industry as other jobs may become available.

While Gay Romeo and similar websites are certainly more and more popular for reasons explained in posts above I believe 

go-go industry will stay here for good while.

There's allure in visiting bar and feeding eyes with candy available not to mention more hand-on activities. Thrill of climbing stairs to Hotmale or Dreamboys or sneaking through half-dark alley to Jupiter beats surfing GR 8 days a week, 25 hours a day IMHO.

It was Devint week or two ago  describing in his post about HERO on this board that on approach he felt like unsupervised child in candy store. Certainly he is not new to the scene so imagine thrill newbie feels.

Even fact that bar boys are available only for 5 hours instead of 24 like their GR competitors  /?/ adds to the excitement as lots of us deep in our heads have still this residual love of hunt and waiting for prey instead of having it on the plate anytime.

Another problem we have with technology is that is ubiquitous and possessive, demanding more of our time and energy.

What kind of holidays we have if we can't unglue ourselves from our laptops, cellphones, tablets etc.?

Do people really spent 22 hours in the air  to get there to sit in the hotel room and surf internet for hook ups and check their phone every 3 minutes?

From what one sees around  and reads in posts is certainly case with many,

I'd say their vacation , their lifestyle, their choice but it will be always those who are crowding Silom's sidewalks and Grand Palace temples and in the evening nervously approaching either side of Suriwong hoping for thrill and rarely disappointed / with thrill arrival , not necessary night's companion /.

Is somebody getting this kind of heat under the collar it while logging to his laptop?

So I say GR is good for those who like availability and convenience and probably lower costs of company and need to feel connected. And bars are good for those who are looking for thrill and instant gratification plus those like myself who are taking vacation of everthing- home , work, daily worries and rituals and of  those handy but  pesky electronic devices. 

As for boys I think internet gave them more choice, broadened their client base for those who couldn't bring themselves to bars or are looking for thrill at 7 a.m. and found their bed empty at that time.  (Now you know why I'm in long time camp).

And if boys are happy so are we, either nervously squeezing tablet or biting  nails before we wade into bar.

When I go to Pattaya for a weekend, I do so mainly to go to the bars. I sit in front of a computer every day, during that weekend only minimum use of entertainment electronics. Many boys have poor management of space and time, in the bar you can get him here and now. That compensates for the additional cost (drinks, off fees).

I am a regular Gayromeo user .......

You are !

your post about Max from Pattaya and his friend Donut in Gay Romeo section of this board in my favorite and hardly day goes without me revisiting it, not so much for narrative but photo you placed.

( I' m not trying to kiss anybody's  butt here, although gladly would Donut's )

There is no reason to use just one of these options. I am a regular Gayromeo user but I also go to the Bars.

Best of Both Worlds!!

Reason of using or not either or both options  would be somebody's preference.

Often one reads in posts that thanks to GR they don't frequent bars anymore, hence OP wonder how bars are affected.

I like anonymity,  thrill on approach and instant gratification of go-go scene.

Don't like  registration, logging-in and all this undressing process on any website, not only sex related.

(Ads for hotels I booked for my May trip to SE Asia are  still appearing when I go to e-bay for example. It looks that internet forgets nothing)

And don't see any value in vacations spent glued to handset or screen. 

But this is preference , not insistence that bars are better than GR or other way around.

I sense that residents or frequent visitors are looking at the issue from different angle than casual and short term visitors. If one is in Bangkok or Pattaya few days likely  no day goes without visiting bar, if one lives there it would become bore very fast.

To answer initiating post I think bars will carry-on  for reasons outlined .

But there may be go-go bar admirers which will backstab them by migrating to massage venues. I'm one of them  but this is another subject 

I sense that residents or frequent visitors are looking at the issue from different angle than casual and short term visitors. If one is in Bangkok or Pattaya few days likely  no day goes without visiting bar, if one lives there it would become bore very fast.

Exactly, if on holiday, it's difficult to pass up a night in a gogo bar.

Also, the aspect I really like about the gogo bars is the chance to check the guys out.  They're wearing almost nothing, so there are no surprises with appearance. Also it's possible to pick the ones that can make eye contact & smile at the customer.

All of the above is true but if you don't take a chance on Gayromeo then you are also missing out IMHO.  Especially with forums like these that have reviews of Gayromeo Boys.

The 2 hottest boys I have been with in the last 5 years are both GR boys who have never worked in a Bar.  Of course personal likes and dislikes are the most important but if you see a boy reviewed positively and he is your type then why not take a chance.