Guest shamahan

Amnesty for cross-banned?

Guest shamahan

Gaybutton recently announced an amnesty for banned on his forum as a result of "violations"

on another forum. I think it is an excellent idea. How about lifting the ban on those members of Gay Thailand community who has been banned here as a result of "tips" from the very same Gaybutton?

I find it disgusting that owners of some message boards exchange IP numbers of their members thereby severly violating their privacy. Meanwhile, in light of numerous discussions here why so few posts are made (and some others who post openly acknowledge that they have no interest in Gay Thailand beyond their "boonies") why not to try to juzz up whatever miserable posting activity available. What is the risk? Violators here seem to be eliminated pretty quickly. Otherwise, enjoy fly pathfinders...

Guest fountainhall

1. Has anyone been banned from this Board as a result of tips from Gaybutton - or any other Board owner? I certainly hope not. GB's had his Board for about 2 1/2 years. I don't think - but this is merely speculation - that anyone has been banned due to such a tip during that period. If that's correct, then an amnesty here would have zero effect. Perhaps the owner/moderators can advise.

2. Since the amnesty, is there any evidence that banned posters have returned to that Board? It seems not. Indeed, it seems the volume of posting activity has actually decreased!

3. If you look back over recent posting activity here, you'll find that it has increased a great deal

4. I think regular posters would rightly object to your use of the phrase "miserable posting activity available". 

This board may not be hopping with activity but it remains puzzling to me that the only people complaining or commenting about that are people who've essentially never posted here. 

Poster Shamahan:  I presume you think that posters have been banned here due to coordination with other board owners (i.e., one board owner not liking what "X" did on his board so asking another board owner to ban him there too).  Why do you think that?  Any evidence, anecdotal or otherwise, of that occuring here even once?

I can think of only two people that have been banned on this board since a certain obstreperous moderator left this board around 2 1/2 years ago.  One person gave out personal information on another poster and the other was a giant pain in the ....  If you know of any others that may have been banned do to a tip from another board, please inform us, as I would be the first to join you in objecting to such activity.

Guest thaiworthy

This subject has no relevance to gaythailand.com as far as I can see. Interestingly enough however, the subject is closed and the threads locked on both SGT and GBT. I can see little to be gained by its discussion here and the potential for a lot of harm.

Guest Jovianmoon

This subject has no relevance to gaythailand.com as far as I can see. Interestingly enough however, the subject is closed and the threads locked on both SGT and GBT. I can see little to be gained by its discussion here and the potential for a lot of harm.

Indeed. My understanding is that a member was banned recently - who shall remain unnamed - due to the apparently offensive nature of  his posts on this forum. Whether or not that was a just decision is not really up for debate as far as I see it - the owner of the forum is entitled to his own decision, within reason and within the posting guidelines he publishes.

Admittedly I haven't been an active poster here for that long, but I have yet to see any moderator action indicating the banning of members for their posts on other forums; I may be wrong.

Hell, one of the things I like about this particular Gay Thailand forum is its apparent independence from the others... That's one of the reasons I joined this one and not the others.

Let's put this to bed where it lies.

Amazing how much trouble one poster can do

if decisive action is not taken at an early stage.

As far as I know, very few people ever get banned from this site and they have all been banned due to activity on this site. So the amnesty issue is irrelevant.

The request to overturn earlier bans is from a member who joined a few days after the last ban was handed out.

So for his benefit, I suppose we need to explain the history.

In fact the last two bans were by reasonably widespread request of members on this board, for behaviour on this board. At least one of those members has come back under another username and continued almost as before.

How about lifting the ban on those members of Gay Thailand community who has been banned here as a result of "tips" from the very same Gaybutton?

I find it disgusting that owners of some message boards exchange IP numbers of their members

For the record, I have never given a "tip" to this board about banning anyone.  Also I, and to my knowledge no other board, has ever exchanged IP numbers or any other form of personal information.

Scooby runs a clean, honest board.  When Michael owned this board, so did he. 

Before you try to attribute anything that takes place on this board to anything coming from me, try knowing what you're talking about first.

Guest shamahan

I have just sent pm to Scooby regarding concrete person (whom I know personally) who has been banned from Gaybutton message board and couple of days later from this one. I doubt that he could violate any rules here , since he did not make a single post on this message board. He registered on both boards with the same Email and slightly different name. I asked Scooby to explain the reason for his ban on this message board. He is definitely banned: he is still a member and can login. While in login state, he however cannot go the message board. He gets the message: sorry, you are not allowed to this community or something like that. I will not provide publicly his details but Scooby has it.

If this is a technical glitch or misunderstanding, then I would be more than happy to see this issue resolved and my friend to be allowed to participate in the message board.

Guest shamahan

For the record, I have never given a "tip" to this board about banning anyone.  Also I, and to my knowledge no other board, has ever exchanged IP numbers or any other form of personal information.

I think you publicly recognized the existence of cross -ban policy with SF and I believe the fact that such an agreement existed between your and this message board was in public domain. Now, to the best of my knowledge, there is no techical way to implement such an agreement without exchanges of IP numbers (Perhaps, BKKGUY may correct me on that one).

Guest shamahan

Good idea (contacting the site owner to find out the facts before you started a thread to speculate about them).

Do not rush to conclusions. Some of the facts are in public domain.

shamahan - It's nice of you to stand up for the friend you feel has been wronged, but I hope you understand that your version of this carries no more weight than anyone else's does. This is really a matter between the person banned and Scooby, if he's the decision maker. 

IP addresses are easily seen on most any site by the site owner, and even if a person's using a "ghost" go-between site to hide their address, their style (or behavior) will usually give them away soon enough. The way I see it...if they behave, who cares if they remain a member.  I know personally of one flaming a**hole that slings mud at me and my blog and still posts constructive and kind comments. Go figure.

Do not rush to conclusions. Some of the facts are in public domain.

I couldn't have said it better: "Do not rush to conclusions."  As to your second comment, there are no (as in "zero") facts in the public domain about anything the board owner here did and, unless I'm reading you wrong, you were accusing him of cooperating or coordinating with another board owner to ban your friend on this board in your opening post. 

Guest shamahan

As to your second comment, there are no (as in "zero") facts in the public domain about anything the board owner here did and, unless I'm reading you wrong, you were accusing him of cooperating or coordinating with another board owner to ban your friend on this board in your opening post. 

You are reading me wrong.

Guest shamahan

shamahan - It's nice of you to stand up for the friend you feel has been wronged, but I hope you understand that your version of this carries no more weight than anyone else's does. This is really a matter between the person banned and Scooby, if he's the decision maker. 

That is correct. I recommend you though to read posts over here. It is stated that this message board never banned anybody except for very few (just two?). This is factually incorrect. Obviously, Scooby entitled to run message board as he sees fit. I do not see the reason though to misrepresent the facts (and by people who have no knowlege). 

I think you publicly recognized the existence of cross -ban policy with SF and I believe the fact that such an agreement existed between your and this message board was in public domain. Now, to the best of my knowledge, there is no techical way to implement such an agreement without exchanges of IP numbers (Perhaps, BKKGUY may correct me on that one).

Everything in your post is incorrect - starting with a cross-ban policy.  That's not quite the way it worked.  I won't say anything more about that aspect of it.  I've already said I was wrong to do it, but I'm not going to spend the rest of my life apologizing either.  Please let me know if you've never done anything in your life that you later regretted and wished you had never done.

As for banning people, there are many ways to do it.  The only time I've ever used IP addresses for banning purposes was trying to put a stop to the phony Russian bot registration attempts.  I banned the IP addresses from those sources, but have since figured out other methods and stopped using IP addresses entirely.  That's because "collateral damage" started happening when that method was also causing legitimate board members to inadvertently become banned.

As for the other methods, sorry - you'll just have to take my word for it.  I don't see any reason to post "trade secrets" that might help people intended to be banned figure out ways around it.  Obviously people can simply register again under a new name.  If people really want to be part of a board where they're not wanted, that's their choice.

Guest fountainhall

Let's face it. No-one has any knowledge of the specifics the OP talking about apart from Scooby. So it's all speculation - so far. And assumption!

As to the OP, I think there is some confusion. The wording used was "How about lifting the ban on those members of Gay Thailand community . . . " I read that to mean someone who was already a posting member on gaythailand.com was thereafter banned. It seems what was meant is someone who is gay and lives here in Thailand but was never actually a posting member of gaythailand.com. For the avoidance of confusion, shouldn't the wording have been more like - he tried to post but was denied posting privileges?

If there has been collusion between Boards to deny someone posting privileges, I would be concerned - provided that person is not already the subject of a ban for violation of the Posting Code here under another handle. We know full well that some posters on some Boards use multiple handles and multiple IP addresses through the use of proxies. An ip address is no guarantee of a person's address.

One thing puzzles, me though. Why would shamahan want to check about ip addresses with bkkguy? There has already been a recent thread on this Forum about ip addresses in which bkkguy played no part.

why not to try to juzz up whatever miserable posting activity available.

I was not going to dignify this post with a response but after several posters have asked me, I'll respond.

We do not ban others based on their posting on other boards or by request of other board owners, admins or moderators. No other admin has ever asked us to do this. We do not share IP's with anyone. I hope this clears up any lingering questions, if not send me a PM.

Guest thaiworthy

I was not going to dignify this post with a response but after several posters have asked me, I'll respond.

I don't blame you, after reading something like that, but what post is this? Where? I see the quote, but can't find the original post. Was it deleted? Did I miss something? Is it on another thread? If several posters have asked you to respond, I'm not sure what it is exactly they are asking you to respond to. Thanks, Scooby.

Guest jomtien

I don't blame you, after reading something like that, but what post is this? Where? I see the quote, but can't find the original post. Was it deleted? Did I miss something? Is it on another thread? If several posters have asked you to respond, I'm not sure what it is exactly they are asking you to respond to. Thanks, Scooby.

It's from the very first post in the thread.  Your seeing eye dog is being shipped forthwith.