Travellerdave

Dongtan Gay Beach

Does he say "Ice cream ka" or "I scream ka"?

You can hear him coming 3 sections away," ice cream kaa, ice cream kaa! Who wants ice cream? I scream you scream, we all scream for ice cream ". I have heard his sales pitch for 20 years. No holiday was complete without sightings of ice cream kaa.

It's definitely IcecreamKa. He was very busy when I was there, but I have yet to buy one of his ices.

On reflection I did notice during my recent Pattaya holiday that there were far fewer beach vendors than before.

DVD sellers seemed to be completely absent as were temporary tattoo artists, although due to the age profile on the gay beach that's not really surprising. I remember a few watch sellers and many trinket ladies. Massage men and lady manicurists seemed to be as numerous as before.

Maybe this is just my imagination.

Your imagination although some days the police will crack down and they will be fewer in numbers. Weather wise it has been a lousy high season. Yesterday was absolutely beautiful after several days of rain and just poor beach weather. This observation is from the eyes of a resident and not a tourist.

You can hear him coming 3 sections away," ice cream kaa, ice cream kaa! Who wants ice cream? I scream you scream, we all scream for ice cream ". I have heard his sales pitch for 20 years. No holiday was complete without sightings of ice cream kaa.

Funnilly enough, despite 3-4 holidays per year in Pattaya in th last 13 years... i have not been to dongtan in daylight hours in probably 11 years until my last holiday in january.... 

I guess thats mostly down to my BFs paranoia about getting "black" skin (or in his case darker skin)

In an attempt at a bit of romanticism, BF and I visited Dongtan for an evening picnic at sunset 3-4 times on last trip 

I was so surprised to still see IceCreamKa guy still working the beach and plying his trade...

Personally i find him a bit intimidating, despite everyone in our gang expresssing disinterest he kept on repeating his mantra over and over and would not leave us alone...

To be honest i am pretty glad that through my BFs paranoia, I have managed to avoid him and the other beach sellers for the last 11 years!

Reflecting on the lack of boys on the beach, I had a look at my diary for 2007 when I visited Pattaya for the first time in February for a similar period to my holiday this year. I saw that I had sex with 4 different boys that I met on the beach, compared with zero this year.

Two encounters resulted in 3 long times at my Pattaya hotel and two for sex in a short time room at Jomtien.

I also saw that my principal source of boys in 2007 was Sunee bars/gogos, whereas as this year I only had two from there. Of course the big increase over the 7 years was boys from GR. if it existed in 2007 I wasn't aware.

I've kept diaries over many years when the habit started due to a work requirement and sports.

Guest shuee

i dont sit at the gay area blues chairs anymore on the horse shoes just passed orange ritz, there is an older thai man here who comes over or waves his finger in disgrace when you just get friendly with the waiters or boys that approach you, he also sits at the chair behind you when your getting a massage if he thinks your going to attempt to have any kind of fun in his section, also the ice cream ka seller got a good mouthful of harsh words one day & told by him to 'go away, go far away!'   not sure what the hell this idiot is trying to do running a section in the middle of the gay area!

also as ive been here a few yrs a chinese group descend on you once in a while just as you trying to relax, i was sat between them as they could all sit together & their rude tourist guide was shouting over to them & they to him when i was trying to relax in the middle of it all, this has happened twice now, but not any more as i dont sit here no more! its a shame as the waiter apple is lively & friendly & nice guy