Guest dunkintim

First time to Bangkok

Guest dunkintim

Hi,

I am a 24yo American white guy, coming to Bangkok on Sunday night. I am on a tight budget... where do you recommend I stay? I was thinking of staying at HQ Hostel on Silom, since it is near the gay nightlife. Is it any good? I want to stay somewhere where I can meet other gay travelers such as myself.

Thanks,

Mike

You are leaving it VERY late to book accomodation!

This weekend is an extended bank holiday weekend in Thailand.

Its also the Thai new year and Songkran...

You won't even be able to get a taxi to silom, it will be closed to traffic 13-15th... so i suggest you do not stay there... Possibly Sathorn would be better for traffic and you could walk to Silom for the night life

Hostels in Thailand tend to be poor value, expecially as there is little price difference between decent 3* hotel and a hostel...

The S1 hostel in Sathorn has a few rooms left:

http://www.agoda.com/s1-hostel/hotel/bangkok-th.html

But to be honest you would be better trying some where like the Ibis, Malaysia or Pinnacle, all in similar area to S1 above

If arrival time is reasonable, taxi availability should be a non-issue. Just take the airport train and skytrain, then walk the remaining distance to the hotel.

If arrival time is reasonable, taxi availability should be a non-issue. Just take the airport train and skytrain, then walk the remaining distance to the hotel.

You are forgetting that the streets will be closed because people will be "playing" songkran... 

Travelling down a packed silom with your backpack/suitcase and possibly expensive electronics + Passport is not advisable... especially when 2 our of every 3 people will be looking to shoot you with a water gun or plaster you with powder!

Don't get me wrong... i LOVE songkran... in fact i am flying in especially in for it on Sunday... but there is no way i would risk trying to make my way through Silom with luggage on the 13-15th!

Suriwong will be easier to navigate but still a fair danger of getting wet there too...

If you coming from USA your plane likely lads around midnight, keep in mind last trains from airport are leaving at midnight too so you may resign to taking taxi to whatever your destination is.

Malaysia hotel is very good value choice but it may be too late to book at such a short notice-check Agoda.

Colmx is right, hotels offer better value than hostels in BKK. If you are stuck try Niagara Hotel in Silom soi 9, should be less than 800 / night, Om Yim at 1100 is dearer but  better value , both walking distance to Silom

Mike, no matter where you stay, be extremely careful with your luggage. As others have mentioned, Songkran will be in full swing when you'll arrive. No matter where you'll go, you'll have a good chance of getting soaked.  :)

Guest Markblue

Hey Mike!

You'll find plenty of gay travelers around the Silom and Patpong Night Market, of course most of the gay travelers you will meet will be at Soi's 2 and 4. I'm 24 too and my first visit to Thailand was last year- it was magical.

Enjoy your trip! Do update us :)

Guest cj123

hahaa...my flight will be on this sunday too..took flight from KL and that my earliest flight.is that the water war already start 1100am? gonna stay in silom area....

sigh...gonna pack my stuff in plastic =P

Guest abang1961

TS

If you are on a very limited budget, try the hostel in Sathon or Malaysia Hotel. 

The former is dirt cheap while the latter is almost a gay icon.

From this area, a taxi fare should cost THB 50, maximum to the nightlife at Patpong.

TS,

The last time I was in Pattaya for Songkran.

I wore no clothes at all... just a very tiny g-string for most of the day.

Yes, daring but since I was on vacation, I didn't care.

And no one seems to mind.. 

TS,

Enjoy yourself... and yes, if you go to gay places i.e. Babylon sauna..you could have all the sex you want without paying a single cent (except the admission fee).. and yes, there is a pool in Babylon and you have to wear a swim trunk... there are plenty of inexpensive (THB 100) swim trunks on sale in Patpong Night Market.. and while you are there, stock on your underwear collection..they are heaps of interesting designs...

Guest abang1961

Judging from that photo you posted of your manhood, your g-string could not have been that tiny.

Flattery gets you everywhere...

Anyone with reports and photos of Songkran. 2014...

It is really miserable to miss Songkran this year as I am struck with too much work here in Singapore..

Btw, I am turning 53 next Tuesday... probably too old for g-string, right?

Guest tsubiboy29

Flattery gets you everywhere...

Anyone with reports and photos of Songkran. 2014...

It is really miserable to miss Songkran this year as I am struck with too much work here in Singapore..

Btw, I am turning 53 next Tuesday... probably too old for g-string, right?

no way, you never too old to wear g string.