Travellerdave

Babylon Barrack Rooms

I'm thinking of staying for a few days. On their website there appears to be two types of Barrack Room. The small ones seem to have twin beds and the large ones a queen size, which I would prefer. I note that they don't have private bathrooms, which is unusual bearing in mind the price of 1700 baht per night, although it includes admittance for two into the sauna, which I would like to enjoy, as I haven't been there before.

Before I make a reservation (maybe not required in view of the current situation in Bkk), I wonder if anyone can give me the benefit of their experience ?.

My previous Bkk stays have been at the Tantawan Hotel which is excellent and gay friendly, although I have been tempted to experience the BBB Inn.

Hello Travellerdave,

I stayed at the Babylon in December in their Bulgari Suites - very nice - big queen size bed with a very nice bathroom and shower.

I did not stay in the Barracks - and the expert on the Barracks is Bucknaway over on SGT - as one of the main positives that he likes are the communal showers/bathrooms where he has had some fun encounters.

I don't think that I would stay at Babylon again -- as the main negatives for me were:

- too far from Silom and Soi Twilight

- breakfast is well finished by 11am and often I could not make it from having too much fun the night before.  I found this fact VERY annoying that they stopped serving breakfast so early when they are a gay hotel.

The things that I liked were:

- access to the sauna and pool - I only went 2 times in a 9 day stay - but it was very nice and fun

- the gardens around the Bulgari Suites are very lush and pleasant

- the staff was nice and helpful

- it is an easy way to meet other farangs - if that is your thing

- meeting Thai guys was not so easy - as there were not that many around when I was there for Christmas

ok Dave enjoy,

M.

Thanks M

I've just had another look at their website and on reflection I think a Bulgari Suite, with a private bathroom would be better for me and not much more expensive than the large Barrack Room.

The breakfast finishing at 11 is not a problem for me as I often get up around 8 or 9 on holiday to eat and then go back to bed for another couple of hours, either alone or with a boyfriend du jour. Equally the distance to Silom / Twilight is easily overcome on motor bike taxis.

I liked the Samsuk Sauna in Pattaya, with its quiet location, and of course the cruising areas upstairs. I hope the Babylon is a larger version.

I stayed in one of the Bulgari Suites, and I never had a problem bringing back a "guest" to my room (no questions and no joiner fees).  The advantage to the Bulgari Suites is that you enter then through the parking lot and not through the reception desk....

As a guest at the Babylon barracks you get your room's key on a chain that includes a tag to open the door at the entrance to the building.  Nobody is standing there to check who you bring with you to your room.  You can go in and out the 24 hours of the day.

I have stayed there several times and I don't find anything negative to comment about.   The communal bathrooms/showers in each of the three floors are convenient and well maintained.  There is no need of absolute privacy in a place like this, and the lack of it can be fun!   The breakfast place is large and offers a good variety of foods.  It lends itself to good socializing with other guys, and this can be a valuable source of information from those who have experience and know their way around Bangkok.

The location of the place is not too inconvenient.  It has the advantage of being in a more quiet part of town, and it is reachable by foot from the MRT (Lumpini station) and Silom.   I have walked many times from Babylon to Sauna Mania and back, and constantly from Babylon to the MRT.  For those less inclined to walk, trips on motocycles are easily available and not expensive.