Up2u

Dongtan Beach Update

I think from reading all the above it appears I must be the only person who quite happily goes to the beach for what it is now - a beach ( albeit a fairly shit beach at that).

I tend to go every other afternoon or so on my trip if I'm up early enough ( ie 2pm or so) and or if it's sunny enough and or if I haven't some nice guy back in my room making it worth my while to

stay there a little longer, but when I do go Im quite happy to not speak to a soul from I arrive until I leave. I usually have my phone and hence my iTunes with my ( on headphones of course ) along with perhaps a book or a few (gay) magazines ( the cafe opposite Mosaik has a small library Or books I always have a browse through and I take one on those to the beach simetimes to at the cafe owners insistence.

I actually quite like the fact that there's never a "sorry we're full" anymore so you always get your chair, I arrive and my chair is dusted down and made ready for me, complete with a bottle of green or red Fanta ( it's a running joke that which ever the waiter leaves it for me I'll say I wanted the otter colour today - always - but take what he gives me of course :-). I'm then quite happy to lie and mind my own business, totally igniting the vendors I don't want to see and buying some ice scream ( and DVDS :-) etc from that I do - although I HATE the "you want young boy question when he asks what you want to browse and gets a firm no with a distasteful look only for him to follow it up with a even more offensive comment re "I have on memory stick so you no problem bringing home" as if THAT was the problem in the first place !!!!

But aside from that I sun bathe a bit ( as much as my pale white Irish skin allows before I go my usual irish lobster red) then depending on the water state so for a drip ( some days barely ok other days definitely NOT), maybe have some food, then a message and maybe a pedicure and even a wee dose, all recharging my batteries ready for the night ahead and usually on my way back I stop off at bamboo bar for a beer and end up getting talked into offing one of the waiters there for a 6pm short time before the night begins in earnest elsewhere ( Boom the small guy waiter there one hell of a cock on him lol) so, whilst the beach may not be what it was 10 years ago it's still what it is today and Pattata would be one hell of a site less interesting during the day for a lot of us without it I fear.

I think from reading all the above it appears I must be the only person who quite happily goes to the beach for what it is now - a beach ( albeit a fairly shit beach at that).

I also still enjoy my days on the beach.  I usually alternate between an afternoon at the beach with an afternoon around the swimming pool.

It was however as we reminisce much better years ago when there were plenty full cute Speedo clad boys to look at and chat with but unfortunately it is not to be nowadays. Things change, in fact the only thing in life that is constant is change.

There are still plenty of other options to enjoy delights of Pattaya and the many cute young guys who are willing to entertain us.

I must be the only person who quite happily goes to the beach for what it is now - a beach ( albeit a fairly shit beach at that).

................. whilst the beach may not be what it was 10 years ago it's still what it is today 

Great and uplifting speach Nirish,  positives only. I read it twice . like this kind of attitude. No use to look what's in  empty half of glass, better use full half and enjoy.

Where you are taking boys from Bamboo, do they have rooms or there's  short term hotel nearby? Gathering info for upcoming trip, last year I saw  quite a few cuties in that bar.

I hate beach though, any beach,  but consider it duty of any gay visitor to PTY to at least walk the length and buy something just to keep it alive

OK In terms of scenic value Dongtan is nowhere in the beach league tables but its certainly ahead of the main one at Pattaya. Those on Koh Larn used to be beautiful but now they are spoilt by over-development and packed with Russians. Its advertised as "Coral Island" but the coral has long since been wrecked. For a nice beach within striking distance I would recommend Koh Samet, but there is no gay scene there.

Dongtan does have sand and it does have sea and I still like to go there, despite the absence of boys, to sit and enjoy the sea breezes, read my Kindle or the English newspaper i have down-loaded on my Ipad. I have even watched a couple of episodes of The Sopranos on it, which certainly kept my mind off sex.

The Bamboo bar is a bit "hit and miss". I visited it three times during my recent trip. One visit my waiter did not sit with me. One visit I wasn't in the mood despite having my dick felt. The third time I was turned on by a fellow customer kissing and took my waiter back to the Samsuck where I was staying for some fun in my room.

[quote name="vinapu"

Where you are taking boys from Bamboo, do they have rooms or there's short term hotel nearby

I normally just nip back to my room in Mosaik as I much prefer it usually so I'm not 100% sure.

I belueve Bamboo does have a ST room upstairs although Ive never used it and also there's the gay B&B just behind it that I think is suitable too ( rainbow rooms I think ?) but others might know better re that aa again I've never used it.

I take a deluxe room / suite in Mosaik so prefer to get back to my room and relax with the guy properly to unitise the large ( clean) bed there plus I find the fun is always better when in your territory so to speak, with your own comdoms, lube in bottłes and not those damned awkward to open scathets and maybe some toys :-) also even though it's short term and I make that clear of course the guys always seem to think that by being extra nice to you the short time might turn into long time, plus as it's usually around 5-6pm the bar is empty so they're in no hurry to head back either so sometimes we chill out and get food in etc.

Then come maybe 8.30pm I then "have to go meet my farang friend for drink now in Sunnee plaza so you can go back to the bar now thanks" ( he he the reverse of "my friend he forget key so I have to go let him in loom" lol - billshit works both ways and they know fine well of course but face is saved all round - the only decision then once they go is as to whether to stay in the room and reply to the usual traunch of Grindr or GR "hello, can I come your room" messages to squeeze in another quick romp until around 11.30pm before heading out for the night or whether to conserve my energy - have to say the first option usually wins based on my usual life's short, Im not getting any younger and tomorrow is promised to no one general philosophy in life ! :-)

I have been at the beach this last week and the weather has been hot with no rain. Things have picked up considerably as I recognize regulars returning for their holiday. I would say about half the chairs were taken by early afternoon. Some of the sections were lucky and maybe a tree survived the butchering and provides some shade. Rit was lucky and has a shade tree but you should arrive early to get a chair under the tree. Niyom's section and Jims Place didn't fair so well. It's 1:00 and will be leaving shortly because of the heat. Still no boys or eye candy, I did see a few younger Russians.

I am sure most members know, if you are have been following any of the other gay boards or Thaivisa that the beach concessionaires are mandated to close every Wednesday for cleaning and to give the public free access to the beach. This also means there is no massage or other services of any type.

I had read the report on Thai Visa. It seems like a really strange thing to do and it will not help tourists by taking away services like seating and food and drinks on the beach and obviously the vendors will lose vital income.

Well we all know the old saying "This is Thailand"

I am sure most members know, if you are have been following any of the other gay boards or Thaivisa that the beach concessionaires are mandated to close every Wednesday for cleaning and to give the public free access to the beach. This also means there is no massage or other services of any type.

This is an idiotic policy, almost certainly dreamed up with no consideration of what the customers want.  Never mind any market research.  If they muck up something simple like this, what hope is there when some more complex policy decisions have to be made?

There were already areas of the beach with no chairs.   One was conveniently near the police box and the other is further up the beach.  So almost every person using the gay section has to walk past one of the "free" areas.  Despite that, the "free" areas have fewer customers per square metre.   

This is no surprise, as after years of education about skin cancer, only a minority want to sit out in the sun all day without protection from a parasol.

Anyhow, all the tourists will mostly go somewhere else on a Wednesday now.

For their next holiday, those tourists who consider the beach to be very important might just chose another country.  

For their next holiday, those tourists who consider the beach to be very important might just chose another country.  

I'm 100% not beach person but I think tourists who  consider beach very important are not heading for Pattaya, it's just an addition to other charms of the place IMNSHO.

Guest abang1961

Although I have not been to a Thai beach for almost 6 months since last August..(after I complained about the removal of deckchairs in Phuket), I am finding this to be one of the most ridiculous change of the NEW regime. Depriving the deck-chair owners of their livelihood is not helping the country to prosper as there are definitely better ways to achieve economic and social equality.  

They should invest their attention in bringing in foreign spendings ...money begets money... limitations begets woes... How many Thais really want to use their beaches...raise your hands if you find me 3 Thais who prefer to get darker ...I have not seen one tanning himself (CRAZY) at any Thai beaches... They want to whiter and not darker... So do they use the beach?

Guest shamahan

Although I have not been to a Thai beach for almost 6 months since last August..(after I complained about the removal of deckchairs in Phuket), I am finding this to be one of the most ridiculous change of the NEW regime. Depriving the deck-chair owners of their livelihood is not helping the country to prosper as there are definitely better ways to achieve economic and social equality.  

They should invest their attention in bringing in foreign spendings ...money begets money... limitations begets woes... How many Thais really want to use their beaches...raise your hands if you find me 3 Thais who prefer to get darker ...I have not seen one tanning himself (CRAZY) at any Thai beaches... They want to whiter and not darker... So do they use the beach?

Formally speaking, what regime is doing is totally legitimate: both in Phuket and Pattaya (and elsewhere) they reclaim the public land. Though to be fair changes in Pattaya are purely cosmetic (except for total removal of deck-chairs and umbrellas on Wednesdays) . But your point is well-taken: it is very easy to bully deck-chair consessioners or, say, poor peasants(land encroachers), than to tackle real corruption issues. Whenever you see a more serious case, that is for sure related to a witch hunt

of political opponents. As for equality, 0.1 percent of Thai population owns 50 percent of total wealth and what you see is simply a shameless attempt to protect status quo. What is going on is so obvious that the only  thing which I will never be able to understand how a sizable group of farang expats (frequently well educated and with an experiance of living in advanced society) do not get it.

Guest shamahan

class solidarity?

In some sense. It is not that it is kind of farang elite (so far have not met a single Duke of Yorkshire here). It is more like a colonial mentality. One of the huge problems in Thailand is a lack of vertical mobility in the society. Intuitively, many farangs are afraid of changes in Thai society which may change their own status and disappearance of cheap sex workers.

I would love to be on Dongtan Beach just now. Ive just looked out of my window here in -5 deg England and see a frozen scene. Not sure if I will be able to drive my car up the road.

Stil im consoled that I will be going to Thailand in four weeks.

I dont think I have a colonial mentality but I am very concerned about access to cheap Thai sex workers. I need to take full advantage before they disappear.

I dont think I have a colonial mentality but I am very concerned about access to cheap Thai sex workers. I need to take full advantage before they disappear.

you are not farang expat just farang visitor and your concerns are shared by multitudes here 

Quite a number of the cheap sex workers in Thailand are now from Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and Burma. Probably replacing the Thais who have found other opportunities & don't want that kind of work any more.

I would guess 30% are non Thai, although perhaps those who like larger guys might come in with a lower percentage.   Some might have a bigger sample size than me.....

One way to insure yourself against AEC economic growth & related "service" cost increases would be to invest a meaningful proportion of your annual income in a good fund or trust. 

e.g. http://www.asian-smaller.co.uk/pdfupload.nsf/40BBC67897BD289980256CA800369940/$FILE/asiansmallmonthly.pdf?OpenElement

This is obviously best viewed as a long term strategy.   There may be a lot of short term volatility. However if you plan to spend a proportion of your year in Thailand, having a proportion of your assets invested in Asia reduces the impact of any relative weakness in your home currency over the next 10 or 20 years.

If your home economy is one of those that runs on a government deficit, consumer borrowing and a balance of trade deficit, don't count on superior living standards lasting for ever.  (That covers quite a few of us).

Yep, anyone who depends on the beach for their livelihood is not happy. No one wants to take a 14% cut in their income. I don't see anything positive about this change.

If you enjoy sitting at Rit's section he was moved two sections to the south (closer to the toilet) so his section has some shade (until these trees are butchered). That is one positive for him although his section is smaller, narrower with fewer chairs. Some concessionaires are using a higher percentage of white beds (100 baht), trying to recover lost income I guess. It has not been hot so loss of shade has been minimized.

Quite a number of the cheap sex workers in Thailand are now from Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and Burma. Probably replacing the Thais who have found other opportunities & don't want that kind of work any more.

I would guess 30% are non Thai, although perhaps those who like larger guys might come in with a lower percentage.  

20-30 % would be my guess as well and we collected our statistic samples at the same time of year

Guest shamahan

They do not find other opportunities. Sorry, I deviate from the discussion of Dongtan beach. There are no opportunities for

millions of Thais. Two thirds of Thai population is occupied in agriculture. Unfortunately, current commodity prices (including so-called soft commodities) are quite low and the cost of production of such products as rice and rubber in Thailand is higher than

the price of final product. Besides, how many of you would want to spend twelve hours under relentless sun on the rice field for 200 baht anyway? For many years the agricultural production in Thailand has been subsidized by governments but it now came to the abrupt end. Some of you may have heard that the previous prime minister Yingluck is currently under impeachment proceedings and may face criminal charges for the so-called rice pledging scheme (which was a form of agricultural subsidy).

She is on so-called corruption charges but in fact (and this is first even in Thailand), she is going to be punished for a policy which is still, by the way, supported by majority of population. Now, people leave rural areas in droves but it is not easy to find a job elsewhere. It is quite difficult to get a job of waiter in a restaurant in Pattaya. And it should not come as a huge surprise: the number of tourists coming to Thailand (and in Pattaya, in particular) dropped quite substantially. E.g. production of cars in Thailand

dropped due to diminishing demand both inside the country and export etc.

The current government which stopped agricultural subsidies decided instead (as one time gop-stop measure) to give away some money to rice and rubber producers (up to 15000 baht per family, 1000 baht per one rai of land). There is a huge difference between paying for nothing and providing a subsidy for production (as a good example , think about a welfare population in US

some of whom totally degenerated and periodically organize riots with a single goal of destroying or stealing). One reason why

nobody starving in Thailand is because one can get a basic meal for 20-30 baht but this is because of abundance of agricultural production in the country. Destroy agriculture and provide no alternative for millions of people and you will have a completely different ball game. It is not surprising that such a shrewed politician as Thaksin advised their supporters not to create any obstacles to the regime. I guess, in his view, it is just not necessary....

And by the way, the Army salaries went up (surprise, surprise).

The previous post is factually incorrect and the flawed economic logic beggars belief.   Please make an effort, don't just write anything.

In 2009, 43.7% of the male working population and 39% of the female working population were employed in agriculture.

This is declining, as it does in every country where living standards are rising. 

That's not 2/3rds.   Nowhere near 2/3rds.  You didn't even check, did you?

The minimum wage in Thailand is 300 baht per day.

The way to create wealth in society is to encourage private enterprise, investment, automation and trade.   An idiotic scheme to keep people in farming involving purchasing their rice and allowing it to rot in storage will decrease overall wealth, not increase it.

This might buy a few votes, but it will also decrease long term wealth.

The way to solve the farming issue is to allow capitalism to work.  Many people will move out of farming to other more comfortable types of work.  The people who are good at farming will buy their neighbours farm and mechanize.    They will produce more food at lower cost and increase their own living standards. With less backbreaking work. That's what's been going on all over the world for decades.

I know, I was brought up on a farm, then I got an education and moved into a different industry.

There's at least one other board member in the same position. 

The same type of opportunities exist in Thailand, although undoubtedly not open to all and at a much lower income level than we have been used to in the West.  However, the opportunities are there. For some.

Shamahan makes good points and strikes the right cords.

No doubt, Z909 is also well informed. The forum is fortunate to have farangs who can post on topics other than

How much to tip a boy. Nothing wrong with that, but some thought provoking posting makes for a better forum,imho

A question on the original Dongtan Beach update topic:

With the changes that the concessionaires have been forced to implement for example smaller areas that can be used for deck chairs and bigger spaces between the concessions are they still numbered the same.

Previously on my last visit and for quite a few years before that trip, section 11 and 12 were directly in front of the first toilet block.

My question is have these concessions and others had to move or are they still in the same position?