brall3

BAR CHARGES

We all have opinions, so opinions aside, does anyone know EXACTLY if one has to pay the drink charge if you enter the bar/club to off someone without consuming a drink? Yes, one can go in, look around and walk out without buying a drink or paying. However, having been to a place before and knowing exactly who you want to off, you return, tell them you want to off number whatever, you do not sit down, you do not drink, you pay the off fee and you are there for less than 5 minutes. In other words, is the posted drink fee an actual drink fee or a required ENTRY FEE to off someone?

Guest finally

I am absolutely with Firecat. Years ago when I lived in BKK I had a regular guy who worked at "Hotmale". I did not even bother to have a seat but walked straight to the cashier to pay the off fee. Don t forget that YOU are a CUSTOMER and YOU make the rules. If any Mamasan complains just tell him/her that there are sooo many other bars where you d be welcome...

Guest topjohn5

It is not a requirement to buy a drink to off someone. I have done exactly what you described many times. I have walked in said I want #xx paid the fee and walked out with the boy and just stood there while he went and got dressed. Also, I have kept a boy many times and gone back to the bar and paid the off fee ONLY as well. I have in addition, offed multiple boys at the same time by one night offing boy number 1 and saying to the mamas an I also want boy number 2 tomorrow. I have paid for both at the same time but have also paid for boy number 2 the next day when they opened.....no drinks.

TIT and YMMV and regardless of you being a customer or not, causing a big scene will just be a hassle either then or later and for you far more than the person demanding it of you. That being said it is highly unlikely that they will require a drink anyway. 

Thai's rarely use Western logic so it could happen. Just take a look at the drink prices going up when nearly a million tourists (year over year) have vanished...economic realities be damned, Thai logic is all that matters.

I have no doubt you lived in Thailand "finally" but you can't be serious. If you held to that plan of being THE CUSTOMER all that could happen is you'd be leaving without the boy.....they simply do not care if you go to another place. This has been shown to me and others time and time again. And, yes, I live in Thailand and have for 5 years.

Guest LoveThailand

Even as a visitor I learned that politeness is the way to go in Thailand. Once can always walk away from a deal one does not like - without rudeness and argument.

Indeed there are always other bars.

One can walk away as a normal person or an asshole.

Guest topjohn5

Amen.....LoveThailand

Most Thai's seem to feel that; they work here, they make the rules and I make too little baht at this job to take your crap for very long, lol.....I really can't blame them for that attitude....well I could blame them but it does no good....so relax and just go with it....

Guest finally

Topjohn: Just to make it clear..If the Mamasan had "insisted" on buying drinks I would not have made a big scene. I would have told him...of course with a smile on my face... that there were many other bars where my money was welcome and would have left the bar. Of course the boy would have been in my room after work or next day before working....and of course the Mamasan would have been aware of this. No reason to speak it out. I have never offed a boy "directly" from the stage unless it was a "regular". I always had a drink with him , just to check out if the "chemistry" was ok for me and for him. I never understood how somebody could enter a bar, grab a boy he had never seen before and off him without talking a word, but to each his own... 

I think you all need to read the Op's question more carefully. It is obvious to me that he had already been in the Bar and spent money either another night or earlier the same night .

He knew the boy he wanted and he went in and offed him and feels no need to buy another drink having already purchased a drink at some other time when the boy had caught his eye.

I have done it so many times I can't count them. I have also returned to the Bar to find the boy I wanted had been taken and therefore shame on me for not making my decision and going out looking for something better. HaHa

The other thing I have done many times is see a Boy I like , maybe he sat with me but I have plans for the evening. I pay off fee for next night and tell Mamasan I will pick him up at certain time. That way I know he'll be there and they know when I walk in to get the boy while I wait.

I cannot see myself walking into a Bar I had never been in and offing a Boy unless I had a previous relationship with the boy and saw him on stage to my amazement. Even then I probably would sit down and buy a drink.

However in all of these instances I cannot imagine any complaint coming from anyone in the Bar. Because you are actually spending money in the Bar and there is no cost to them of providing a drink. It is all profit.

And if someone was so rude as to tell me I had to buy a drink, I would smile and ignore them , exactly what a Thai would do.

Guest topjohn5

Okay, "finally", I'm glad you wouldn't make a scene. I got the strong impression however that you would possibly make a scene based on the words you used and the apparent feeling behind those words; "Don't forget that YOU are a CUSTOMER and YOU make the rules". I only have the words you use and the Caps to go on....so sorry if I misunderstood you thoughts. I won't make a Sawatdee Deal out of this, lol. :friends:

I also agree with Fire that nearly no one including the OP, you it seems, and I would ever just walk into a bar and point and off someone "cold". That would be silly since you wouldn't have a the chance to get to know the boy.

Although I have done that, offed a boy I knew, and did not buy a drink, I was not comfortable with that. For me, I would just order a water, have a sip or two as I wait for him, and then take the bottle with me or leave it.  Or rather than a drink, pass the mamasan a tip which makes for a happy ending.

Guest topjohn5

I can understand that. I tip mamasan's frequently...if they're not annoying and are honestly helpful. I wouldn't order a water as it cost most of the time the same as a drink, lol....and sometimes I do order something but the OP asked if it was mandatory....the answer is no not in my experience.

Don t forget that YOU are a CUSTOMER and YOU make the rules. 

I'm tempted to make the rule that client can take boy off without paying off fee and wonder how it will go with the bar? just kidding

Yes we are customers but even in bars there are some rules we should adhere too like not groping boys in the open, not to smoke if bar is non-smoking , not snatchng boys sitting with other customers already and so on.

On a subject,  I do very often exactly what you described, spy boy on earlier visit, walk in , if boy is there just call boy over , ask if he will go with me, pay off  fee and we are gone. Even if waiting several minutes for boy to get ready I  was never pressed to buy a drink.  Just last year I did it three times in Dreamboys and once in Jupiter and no problem whatsoever.

In A-bomb was planning to do the same but boy was late so I called another boy to sit with me , treated him with a drink and made my boy waiting when he showed up. 

After all what is better for bar- to charge 300 for drink and no off or to charge 400 for off and no drink?

Only waiters will be unhappy unhappy but sometimes if in good mood I make up for that offering them a tip if they will hug me. Everybody has a good laugh and I have my hug

.If the Mamasan had "insisted" on buying drinks....

In such a case if I would not have an intention to buy a drink his insistence can be easily softened  by slipping him 50 baht and you will be left alone for  a while. Just make sure this while is short one,. enough to look around ,  don't overstay your welcome , after all this is a bar. If drink is not bought get out from there .

The only time I've ever offed someone without buying the drink is when it's a repeat off, which I've at least arranged with the boy in advance.

I've seen groups of Russians (usually) arrive in gogo bars & resist all pressure to buy a drink for about 10 minutes. Then after enjoying themselves for free, they leave.   I don't want to be tarred with the same cheap brush as them.

However, arriving in a bar and leaving after 30 seconds or so because you just don't like it is fair enough.

I suppose if you figure out there's only 1 boy you want, offing him immediately is also fair game.

....I would ever just walk into a bar and point and off someone "cold". That would be silly since you wouldn't have a the chance to get to know the boy.

I would never either but I do not see it silly if somebody actually does it. This is what chemistry is all about.

I can recall quite a few cases when I walked to massage or bar and in  less than minute I knew whom I like, recall only one disappointment so almost always in those cases 'cold" pick up would would work for me.

Still never did it since  I actually like all those preliminaries before off , drinks, chats. etc   

I suppose if you figure out there's only 1 boy you want, offing him immediately is also fair game.

that's brilliant point, often less experienced visitors look around in awe and some fast thinking asshole / it could be me as described above / is snatching dream boy from them.

Yes , there are plenty boys on stage but at times you see just one your heart is speeding to , don't waste time and at least have him sitting with you / with a drink /. 

My experience is that a bar may have a set of rules about this situation or not.  The mammasans may choose to try to enforce the rules or not. I have been told at one of the more aggressively priced bars in BKK that they claimed such a rule. But I only was told that once.The next night I chose to go to a different bar.

This same bar will on weekends frequently(or used to) post a sign for admission price (which included a drink).  I have seen the same done at Jupiter. I am sure this approach is to avoid the situation of someone walking in the bar, seeing someone on stage they wanted to off, and trying to arrange an off without buying a drink.

On many occasions where I off the same boy on future nights, I have done so by tipping the mammasan a token amount to arrange and avoid any possible drink required rule.  This has always worked fine for me.  Sure, many times I just arrange it directly with the boy also.  I recognize this is their living and I want the bar to stay in business, the mammasan to help me (now AND in the future) or leave me alone, and the boy to make a decent wage. So I just factor all of this in to my expectation of how to act.

In some cases where I have gotten to know the mammasan, I feel I have gotten good value out of the small mammasan tip as they know what I look for and do a decent job of alerting me to someone new, or someone not yet arrived, or not yet out on stage who I might be interested in, and introducing me when they arrive. I give them a chance to earn their keep.

I understand some may be on tighter budgets and choose not to do this and I respect that.

In some cases where I have gotten to know the mammasan, I feel I have gotten good value out of the small mammasan tip as they know what I look for and do a decent job of alerting me to someone new, or someone not yet arrived, or not yet out on stage who I might be interested in, and introducing me when they arrive. I give them a chance to earn their keep.

you are right , mamasans can be put to good use in cases you mentioned.

I had one from Dreamboys spotting me sitting at Maxi's and running to announce that boy I'm hunting for for a few days arrived. Fact is he mixed the boys and brought me over one from night before but this was mistake I'm still one year later gratefull he made as this was fabulous boy and one I was hunting eventually turned disaster.

So it looks mamasan knew better than me what I'd like.

Yes mamasans can be useful and i sometimes tip them at a bar where i off a boy. I remember five years ago offing a cute boy from a Sunee gogo overnight. I didnt make any arrangement to see him again, but during the day i got the hots for him and that evening i went back to the gogo only to find him sat with another customer. I waited a while but there was no indication that the boy would be available.

I called the mama over and explained the situation and gave her a good tip. She spoke to the customer, and myself and the boy were able to leave. He became my boyfriend du jour for three days until the end of my holiday. I returned to the gogo each evening to pay the off fee and chatted to the mama and to give further tips.

This past weekend I went to Dream Boy in BKK. The drink charge is now 400B, the off fee is 650B, and the minimum fee to the boy is 2,500B. The place was packed on Saturday and Sunday nights, with mainly Asians customers. Sunday night there were a few Caucasians customers and two of them were disgustingly loud and carried on disgracefully. The bar workers politely tried to calm them down, keep them off the stage, and insisted they refrain from taking off their clothes. I was so disgusted and embarrassed by their behavior that I left.

I went to three other bars and to my surprise, they were almost empty, except for Jupiter which was partially full; and to think that Dream Boy was full with standing room only. The increased prices is not deterring customer attendance. I do not understand it because at Dream Boy the boys are definitely not that special and nor is the show; nevertheless, the place was packed despite the higher costs.

For those who have written that tourism is down in Thailand and the economy is struggling, guess again. The prices of a lot of things have gone up, except the street food vendors where the Thai people eat - go figure (smile).

Dreamboys  off fee is the same like last year, drinks went up by 20 baht but 2500 tip seems like  steep increase , last year I was quoted 1500 short time by both boy and mamasan.  

One hired long time  wanted 3000 in the morning but I gladly paid since he worked hard to earn it.

Obviously Dreamboys is  doing something right if they manage to pack the room, I'm not surprised. Year ago I found their selection the best by far as long as my preferences go.

Chinese girls misbehaved at ToyBoys, now farangs at Dreamboys BKK, good to know that fun still is to be had in LOS

This past weekend I went to Dream Boy in BKK. The drink charge is now 400B, the off fee is 650B, and the minimum fee to the boy is 2,500B. The place was packed on Saturday and Sunday nights, with mainly Asians customers. Sunday night there were a few Caucasians customers and two of them were disgustingly loud and carried on disgracefully. The bar workers politely tried to calm them down, keep them off the stage, and insisted they refrain from taking off their clothes. I was so disgusted and embarrassed by their behavior that I left.

I went to three other bars and to my surprise, they were almost empty, except for Jupiter which was partially full; and to think that Dream Boy was full with standing room only. The increased prices is not deterring customer attendance. I do not understand it because at Dream Boy the boys are definitely not that special and nor is the show; nevertheless, the place was packed despite the higher costs.

For those who have written that tourism is down in Thailand and the economy is struggling, guess again. The prices of a lot of things have gone up, except the street food vendors where the Thai people eat - go figure (smile).

Well I might agree that some nights the boys are not so special but there are many more of then then any other Bar. I am not a Show person but I do think their show is light years ahead of anyone else on the Soi.

I will not pay their prices But their Asian Customers think it is cheap.  In their home countries they pay that for drinks in most Bars with no boys and no show.

He knows his audience and is playing to it.

I have a regular off in Pattaya - he arrives at 2:30 pm every day and stays with me until about 1:00 am. After going out to dinner we drop into his bar and I pay the off fee and then we go somewhere else. The bar knows they'll get a regular income from me for the duration of my stay and with all my regulars over the years, they have never once suggested I buy a drink. It's simply a case of paying the cashier the off fee every night; I usually just hand the money to the boy and he goes inside and pays it.

If I were going into a bar looking for a guy, of course I'd buy a drink or two.