TMax

Making that big decision

Come January I'm in Thailand for a month, mostly to let my hair down and just hang loose for a bit (oh and have fun with the the boys of course) but during that time I will be looking to set up a bank account and check a few more things out.

I have made the decision, that mid 2015 I will move to Thailand for 12 months or so (at this point in time the end of May sounds good), this may be a precursor to retirement over there but I figured to go on the 12 month multiple entry visa to see if I can handle the extended time there (providing I can get that visa first). I have some things to sort out here in Australia before the planned big trip, hence the long wait for me as I am also on a contract on a project that is tying me up until January.

One thing I am planning for that time is to travel around the country, I would love to see the more out of the way places as opposed to the main stream cities and towns and do a write up of those travels and post some pictures along with it. I've gained some good advice from the members of this forum since I joined (many thanks to Vinapu and all the others for their advice) that I have decided to share those travels here for anyone that may enjoy the read.

Of course I would be mentioning just what the boys and I get up to, can't just write about traveling around a country without including some spice, so I'm aiming to spice it up a little to get the blood flowing. For a start I would be looking at Chiang Mai which I think would make a good base for travelling around the north, plus some of the serviced apartments up there look to be quite good value.

Now I know things change over time but my heart and head are quite firmly set on spending that time in a country that I love and want to see and experience so much more of.

Very sensible and mentioned by many here already,  before you decide to move permanently spend year there to see if you like the place or not.

Being tourist and resident of the same place are complete different things. Sounds obvious and trivial but is often forgotten by the many.

Wishing you good luck in execution of your well thought plan and waiting for promised travel reports

Well this should be a good read.

Your idea of a trial long term stay seems like a good idea.  As for the travelling, how long are you planning to spend in each location?  

For me it would be tempting to spend 2~4 weeks in various locations, just to identify where I want to stay long term. Personally, I would extend the map to include Laos & Cambodia.

Anyhow, your posts should be interesting, particularly as I intend/hope to be in a similar position within 2~5 years (this would be an EARLY retirement).

It's probably best not to make it "too big a decision", just see how it goes and don't burn your bridges. Initially, I planned to stay in Thailand for two years (for work though, not retired yet), and recently I celebrated my 8-year anniversary.

It has never really felt as a big decision for me, because I've always been under the illusion that I can leave anytime. And I say "illusion" only because of the almost magical draw the place still has to me - I'm simply convinced I wouldn't feel as happy anywhere else. ;)

All the best, and keep us posted!

Well this should be a good read.

.  As for the travelling, how long are you planning to spend in each location?  

When travelling around Thailand my intention is to base myself and occasionally  just head off for a few days to a week and then it's back to the base. Really just want to take in the countryside and the out of the way places before I totally veg out in the one place.