The Beer Bar
Open to general topics not covered elsewhere including Current Events, Politics, Religion, Movies and other topics. Discuss the topic, not the policy or personality. Have fun and enjoy!
16,177 topics in this forum
-
Though I have a friend who does not like it, most foreigners tend to enjoy Thai food very much. It is usually made from very fresh ingredients and being cooked as it is ordered improves the flavor over foods which are prepared in advance as in most western restaurants. Don’t think that because of this you will have to wait very long for your food. The Thai method of cooking is very simple and quick and you will be served in a most reasonable time. While Thai food is known for being very spicy this should not be a problem for you because as soon as the waiter or waitress realizes that you are not Asian the spiciness is, usually, automatically toned down. As a measure …
-
- 5 replies
- 1.2k views
- 1 follower
-
-
The Broadway musical Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, ain't what it used to be. The show, now in previews, has had several stops before New York, and there can be no doubt that the show has been tamed a bit for New York audiences. The New York Times takes you through the history of the show, pointing out the things deemed not suitable for the Americans: A Tamer Priscilla
-
Wow it just seems like yesterday when the Texas Rangers humiliated the NY Yankees in NYC to go on to the World Series Seriously I cannot believe we have seen the start of Spring training. I'm hoping the Rangers will reach the World Series again ... and hopefully win this time
-
- 12 replies
- 1.7k views
-
-
A little film quiz (shot after 1950). 1. Of which movie did its director say? It was “conceived in a state of emergency, shot in confusion, and wound up in a blind panic” 2. Of which movie did its director say? “It was the toughest three pictures I ever made” 3. Of which movie did one of the actors say? “We were weeks behind . . . Hanky-panky going on in this corner and that . . . There were wheels within wheels within wheels. God, it was a messy situation” 4. Filming which movie did the lead actress say of the graft on the set? “They had $3 million for ’miscellaneous,’ and $100,000 for paper cups. They said I ate 12 chickens and 40 pounds of bacon every…
-
On the home page, included in Featured Persons, is the photo of cleaper or Chris Leaper as the escort in San Francisco was known. Alas, on Saturday 26 February he stepped off the Golden Gate bridge and killed himself. He'd become addicted to crystal meth. It was a sad waste of an otherwise intelligent man.
-
- 3 replies
- 1.1k views
-
-
For all of you who have never been to Thailand: You can’t imagine what you are missing. On most Gay discussion boards all that is mentioned is that it is a sex capitol. While this is true, there are many other reasons to visit here. I’ve been living in Thailand, specifically Bangkok, for four years. During that time I have not yet learned to speak Thai but I’m now back on track with an instructor and hopefully will become somewhat fluent and able to talk to more people. While many Thais speak at least some English, it is patently unfair to expect them to speak my language while I’m in their country. And, I want to speak to many, like my neighbors, who cannot speak E…
-
- 12 replies
- 1.8k views
- 1 follower
-
-
This isn't Mary on a piece of toast, or a statue suddenly weeping. This isn't the Virgin Mary appearing to remote peasant girls. This is an actual trip to heaven where an almost 4 year old boy saw his great-grandfather; the biblical figure Samson; John the Baptist; and Jesus, who had eyes that “were just sort of a sea-blue and they seemed to sparkle,” Colton Burpo, now 11 years old, recalled. Using Sarah Palin's ghost writer, he has written a book of his experiences that is selling like hotcakes as people starved for a look into heaven want to read his story. More than one and a half million copies are in print. His father, a minister, has rebuffed allegations that the…
-
- 7 replies
- 1.3k views
- 1 follower
-
-
The guests for the first week of Larry King’s replacement on CNN, Piers Morgan, will include Oprah Winfrey in the first show, with George Clooney, Ricky Gervais, Condoleezza Rice, Howard Stern, Rudolph Giuliani, Mitt Romney, and the musicians Kid Rock and Rod Stewart. The nightly, hour-long show will be pre-recorded in front of a studio audience. Which makes me wonder: how is this going to be any different from the other run-of-the-mill formula-ridden, boring, late night US talk shows? (Well, Piers Morgan says he aims to be polarising and provocative – so I will, too ) http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jan/11/piers-morgan-tonight-guestlist
-
Apple is getting ready to tell the world what we have been waiting for. I think that they will come up with a lighter, faster IPad with a camera. At least that is my hope. The announcement is coming today so as soon as I hear, I'll post here. Keep your fingers crossed fellow Apple addicts!
-
I have to upgrade my communications tools. I work on Apple computers. For internet, years ago I went with KSC in Bangkok, only because TRUE at the time said I'd need an expensive piece of equipment if I signed with them. Later I learned that KSC uses the TRUE service and charges a lot more for it. So I want to change at the end of this month when the contract expires. A friend here has said TRUE's high speed service in BKK is very good and maintenance is fast and efficient. It's certainly a lot cheaper than KSC. Does this now work with Apples? Does anyone have any other recommendation? I also need to upgrade my telephone. I've always felt that a phone is a phone and I…
-
- 2 replies
- 1.5k views
-
-
The turmoil in the Middle East seems to have taken everyone by surprise. First, it was one of the most educated and advanced countries in the region, Tunisia. Then Lebanon and the Yemen. Now Mubarak's regime in Egypt seems close to collapse, and there are rumblings in the relatively stable Kingdom of Jordan. Even more important for the future of the region is the possibility that the hard-line repressive rule of the Saudi Arabian Kingdom may become affected. The initial effects in the west are obvious - extreme nervousness, stock markets on the way down, and the price of oil shooting up. But what will emerge once all this pent up discontent has played out? Will hard …
-
The earthquake that just happened is causing incredible damage to people and property. My heart goes out to those affected and I hope all our friends from that area are OK.
-
- 3 replies
- 856 views
- 1 follower
-
-
I had my reservation to return to USA from Thailand on Sunday but the flight status on the airlines is a major mess. They wanted to route me though China and economy class for 35 hours. I said no. So, I am stuck in Thailand for a bit. It is a great place to be stranded. Before you travel to Asia, be sure you have a close to direct flight to the place you are traveling. It will make life easier.
-
- 3 replies
- 1k views
- 1 follower
-
-
He had the funniest sitcom on TV but it wasn't Sheen that made it funny, it was the writing, which was both funny and strangely mature given the family time slot it had commanded. But IMO, Charlie was not the funny or brilliant one. It was his brother, Alan Harper, his mother and Berta the maid. Now Sheen is acting like Paris Hilton on speed. He must be really off of it to let a two million dollar paycheque vanish into thin air.
-
- 9 replies
- 1.3k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Carnival around the world is celebrated. While I am not there this year, I found these photos and it brought back great memories!
-
- 1 reply
- 854 views
- 1 follower
-
-
There is an alarming report yesterday in Malaysia’s The Star newspaper claiming that a man who is believed to be gay and HIV positive has conned a large number of young men of their money and valuables after having sex with them. http://www.fridae.com/newsfeatures/2011/03/10/10706.gay-man-swindles-200-others-in-malaysia The article has drawn some skepticism from guys on the fridae site, along with the view that in Malaysia the authorities are always anxious to publish stories like this, no matter how true or otherwise. It also highlights the point that teenagers are unlikely to invite a stranger into their homes for sex. So where were they having sex, and how c…
-
Well, our 2 hour game may not have been the longest but it was fun. We were playing strip Uno and the losers had to take off one item. I thought I'd see naked guys in 20 minutes. The game went over and the first game lasted well over 2 hours. Needless to say, my Viagra was worn off by then. NEVER again!
-
- 0 replies
- 1.2k views
-
-
I got some spam for a quilting newsletter, spam that came to the address I use only for this site. I didn't want the quilting newsletter, so I hit the unsubscribe button, here is how I was greeted: Hi Cunt On this page, you can update your e-mail address, change the frequency of the newsletter or completely unsubscribe.
-
- 4 replies
- 1.1k views
- 1 follower
-
-
They need help and this may take care of it:
-
- 4 replies
- 1.2k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Catholics in Philadelphia are reeling after a grand jury reported that no less than 37 priests against whom allegations of abuse have been made are still functioning as priests in the diocese. The monsignor in charge of investigating the priests has been criminally charged for endangering the welfare of a child by leaving the priests in place. "[Monsignor]Lynn figured prominently in a scathing 2005 grand jury report that found 63 priests in the archdiocese had been credibly accused of child sexual assault over several decades while local church officials turned a blind eye." (CBS News) The church authorities have scrambled to respond, suspending some priests, and hiring…
-
- 8 replies
- 1.4k views
- 1 follower
-
-
...The Whale... If you read a recent front page story of the San Francisco Chronicle, you would have read about a female humpback whale who had become entangled in a spider web of crab traps and lines. She was weighted down by hundreds of pounds of traps that caused her to struggle to stay afloat. She also had hundreds of yards of line rope wrapped around her body, her tail, her torso, a line tugging in her mouth. A fisherman spotted her just east of the Farallon Islands (outside the Golden Gate ) and radioed an environmental group for help. Within a few hours, the rescue team arrived and determined that she was so bad off, the only way to save her was to dive in and…
-
- 1 reply
- 828 views
-
-
Nothing will ruin a pleasant drive quicker than the sight brake lights coming towards you on the highway. Miles ahead, someone or something has spooked the bejeezus out of traffic and now you're about to pay for it with your free time. The mighty flow of America's highways is about to be plugged by you and a couple hundred of your closest strangers. The next time a traffic jam's iron grip has you in its clutch, you can at least take heart knowing that scientists have figured out why they happen and who's to blame. Follow the jump for this latest infographic on the Science of Traffic Jams by our friends at Car Insurance Guide, and tell us in the comments if knowing really…
-
- 5 replies
- 1.4k views
- 1 follower
-
-
The LA Times Magazine introduces us to the 9 top prospects to be movie heartthrobs. Here are the opening paragraphs: Duck into any scenester depot between Sunset and 3rd, and you’ll spot them: aspiring matinee idols, pretty lads sanguine in their skinny denims and studied slouching. If only that elusive Hollywood fifth element, aka star quality, were the mere sum of blessed bone structure and an adorably terminal case of bedhead. Alas, breaking out of the pack as the next alpha dog—read, Brando/Newman/DiCaprio—demands traits that are difficult to quantify. True stars are born, not groomed, and this year promises an embarrassment of riches. They hail from the four points …
-
We noted this way down at the bottom of a thread in another forum, so you might have missed it. Our colleague MsGuy has reached the height of posting. He is now an Olympian! Now, lest you think we take these things too seriously, note that it is all in good humor. It's not like he can go to the local porn shop and get a discount because of it. But I would buy him a drink should he show up in Palm Springs! After all, I have been enlightened and entertained by his posts and wish him a thousand more. Someday he might even become a lucky member! PS- not sure which Olympian he wants to be, so I thought Hermes might do...lookin says this pic best fits an Olympian:
-
- 21 replies
- 2.5k views
- 1 follower
-
-
Just got an invite for the grand opening of a new Bar on SMB in WeHo The Office. It is opening in the space last occupied by Numbers(or Digits whatever they were calling it before it folded for the third time in five years)above The Gym-which used to be The Normandie Room. Opening is slated for the end of March. It looks to be a very hookup friendly management team. I will be filing a report here on MER of course!
-
- 9 replies
- 1.7k views
- 1 follower
-