biguyby

Rainy season

We've been getting our fair share of rain here in Bangkok also. Sunday night we had a thunder/lightning storm that was real bad .

I didn't lose electric, but cable TV went out. Soi Twilight went out. Everyone sat around with cell phone flashlights.

Last night rained for about 12 hours straight. Today sun poked through for a bit, but about 3pm, hit again big time. Getting ready to head on out for this evening and it looks like it's about ready to start again.

Yes the poor street vendors! I can just stay in all day if it rains, but they can't and in addition to inconvenience by rain customer number will be lower.

Since about a week ago, it has been raining every day in Bangkok. But not the usual short heavy downpour, but light to medium all day. I had to cancel several trips.

Yes the poor street vendors! I can just stay in all day if it rains, but they can't and in addition to inconvenience by rain customer number will be lower.

Since about a week ago, it has been raining every day in Bangkok. But not the usual short heavy downpour, but light to medium all day.

there are always winners and losers,  water from heavy rain is mostly wasted, one from light but steady  is blessing for the soil parched by the drought.

Even vendors can see light in  rain- in bad weather customers tend to make fast shopping decisions

Will all of this rain resolve the drought?

When I was there in early July - the effects of the drought were very evident....

Not at all in the northern half of Thailand.  Here in Chiangmai the "rainy" season hasn't been hardly rainy at all and the dams all over northern Thailand remain at dangerously low levels.  The government just this past week passed some rules banning all the farmers from planting a second crop (typically started in December/January) as there simply isn't enough water to provide to them for that purpose.  Given the lousy Thai economy at the moment and the continued bad news in exports (let alone the idiotic political situation), lowering the amount of available rice exports sure as hell won't help. 

Too early to say, as of now, as the rainy season isn't over yet. More rain might come. But it's rather unlikely that all the reservoirs will be replenished to a level that will be sufficient until the next rainy season (next year) will come.