TotallyOz

Uber in Thailand

I admit I have been late to the Uber bandwagon.  I have it installed and tried to use it in the USA a few times but my family lives so far outside of a city with Uber drivers that I just never used it.

Last night, a friend from USA FloridaRob was telling me about it.  I used it to book my trip out last night.  It was so easy.  I plugged in my information and hit book and 5 minutes later, the car arrived.  It was great.  The cost was 49 baht which was charged to my credit card.

I am sold. I'll be using Uber in many place.  Loved using this in Thailand.  I stay in an area that taxi's hate and often wait for 20-30 min for the hotel to summon one.  This app made it really easy.

I have used Uber for the first time this summer during my holidays in L.A. 

Uber is a lot better then a taxi, even one with a meter. No need for cash, you always know how long is the time for your car to arrive, drivers are friendly and helpfull because they you will evaluate them afterwards.

Does anyone know if Uber is available in all cities around the country or just in Bangkok?

Never used Uber and can't see me using it in the future. Where I travel, it's always faster to hail a passing taxi. But friends swear by it and even claim it's cheaper than regular taxi (how can that be when regular taxis have been complaining for years prices are too low?), so I had a look at their pricing scheme:

https://www.uber.com/cities/bangkok

UberX Base fare ฿25 + ฿1 per minute + ฿4.50 Per kilometer

which is indeed cheaper than taxi:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/learning-from-news/449490/taxi-fares-go-up-in-bangkok-today

regular taxi 35 (base fare and 1st kilometer) + 2 per minute when slower than 6 km/h + 5.5 per kilometer (rising for longer distances)

But I'm a cash person and avoid digital and electronics wherever possible, so I will continue hailing down taxis, even it is 10 or 20 Baht more expense per month than Uber.

Weird recent experience: I was in a taxi and after about 100 m, taxi driver asked me if I could change to the empty taxi behind us because he just got a booking from Uber. That was no problem for me, and he didn't charge me (then I would have protested).

Language note: Uber is from German "über" which means "over, more than, excess of"

UberX Base fare ฿25 + ฿1 per minute + ฿4.50 Per kilometer

which is indeed cheaper than taxi:

regular taxi 35 (base fare and 1st kilometer) + 2 per minute when slower than 6 km/h + 5.5 per kilometer (rising for longer distances)

but you are not comparing apples with apples

when making comparisons based on price you have to consider the tradeoffs and differences in what you are comparing - I can use a public non-aircon bus and it is cheaper than a taxi too but is that how I want to travel?

a public bus is not cheaper because it is run by the government and UberX is not cheaper because it is Internet based and they are good guys trying to help passengers, they are out to make money just like the taxi companies but they want to do it by ignoring the costly requirements of being a licensed taxi operator

if  I use UberX  I get a driver that does not have a public transport license, does not have public passenger insurance and is driving a vehicle that is not licensed to carry passengers and is not inspected to meet Land Transport Dept requirements so it is no surprise that it's advertised rates are cheaper than a registered  taxi with a licensed vehicle and driver, insurance etc - again is that how I want to travel?

the more reasonable comparison is to compare UberTaxi or GrabTaxi  (where they are using licensed taxis) with local taxi rates - they are usually not cheaper because now there is a middleman to be paid as well as all the usual taxi overheads!

I am not saying that the incumbent taxi industry is perfect and not in need of a shakeup and there is a case to made for an UberX type service - and indeed some markets are moving towards legitimising such services, but there is more to it than just published rates

bkkguy

Lots of good points if  I thought taxis were actually inspected  and had insurance etc etc etc.  I certainly don't in many cases .  At times I have been in taxis that are falling apart and I have to wonder if they adhere to any of the rules that the Government supposedly enforces..

I have also been in some really new and nice taxis where the drivers had GPS etc.

Bottom line I think it is a crapshoot taxis vs Uber.

I have not used Uber but I can imagine how great it is to order a car to pick me up at Hero in the rain when no taxis exist.

Firecat you just hit on my biggest point for using Uber. There are some Soi's in Bangkok where taxis don't go. Hero is my best example. I always take taxi going somewhere because it is easy to get at my apt. But if no taxi when I leave somewhere,

Uber (or grabtaxi) are invaluable. Rain is another story. No taxis, but Uber shows up.

they are out to make money just like the taxi companies but they want to do it by ignoring the costly requirements of being a licensed taxi operator

if  I use UberX  I get a driver that does not have a public transport license, does not have public passenger insurance and is driving a vehicle that is not licensed to carry passengers and is not inspected to meet Land Transport Dept requirements so it is no surprise that it's advertised rates are cheaper than a registered  taxi with a licensed vehicle and driver, insurance etc - again is that how I want to travel?

(My underline) I was aware that Uber might not be legal (but still widely available and operating openly). How much is a taxi licence, and which part of operating costs does it present?

(My underline) I was aware that Uber might not be legal (but still widely available and operating openly). How much is a taxi licence, and which part of operating costs does it present?

I don't know the actual cost but in Thailand as in most countries a taxi license/plate/medallion (for the vehicle) is both expensive and supply is limited by local authorities - while Thai taxi drivers have a public transport drivers license most rent a licensed taxi vehicle for a shift from the owner, an oft-quoted fee was 100 Baht per shift plus petrol

the UberX and UberBlack services where officially declared illegal in Thailand late last year for using improperly licensed vehicles and drivers, not charging meter rates and allowing credit card payment. Fines of 2,000 Baht for drivers and possible fines for the company were to be imposed as well but they are still operating

GrabTaxi as I understand it is not illegal in Bangkok because they use standard taxi vehicles and drivers, use meter rates, and the rider pays the driver the meter fare (plus a "booking fee") in cash rather than GrabTaxi  by credit card

Some cities in Australia ae looking at legislation to legalise UberX type services with some regulations and compensation for existing taxi owners for the loss in the value of their license that will result but no compensation for loss of income for drivers who I suppose then have other options if they want to drive a  taxi or taxi-like vehicle

bkkguy

Although I have not used Uber I can see why they have been successful.  I don't think price is the reason.

Knowing that when I take an elevator down and walk out in the rain , my ride will be there. Knowing that is likely the driver will no where he is going and will get there in the quickest manner is another reason.

When I get in taxis all over the world I am amazed with the exception of London that:

1. They don't know where they are going.

2. I have no idea if they are taking the shortest route 

3. Certainly I find no consistency in the quality or cleanliness of the vehicle or conversation ability of the driver.

Government regulations of the service mean very little to me because all I see is a Taxi.  I have no idea whether the liscence is real, when it was last inspected.  Certainly in Bangkok I would have absolutely no faith in the Government doing its job.

I vaguely remember, I read somewhere rent for one shift is 500 Baht (which is probably cheaper than car rent, did someone ever get the idea to rent a taxi instead a car for private driving around?).

I recently forgot my bag in a taxi*, called 1644 and reported all details, but they didn't call me back. The monetary value (to replace it, resale would be close to zero) is about 500, but some items of sentimental value. With Uber or Grabtaxi, I would have know which car and driver it was in.

That raises the question: why does a taxi driver not report a bag that has close to zero monetary value except for the person who lost it? It was on the back seat, next passenger might have noticed it.

*Simplyfied, here full story. I was traveling with a Farang friend. I had umbrella, backpack and tote bag, so I gave tote bag to my friend so I have less stuff to deal with when getting in and out. When getting out, my friend forget my bag in the taxi. I could blame him, but it was just bad luck. I didn't think about my bag either until a minute later.