paulfort

My Pattaya & Bangkok trip report...

The LHR-BKK deal on EVA is a good one.  I've done the journey more than sixty times over the past twenty years  and only on a couple of occasions has the plane been late.

And the Silver Card is worth having too. I was previously a Gold (which meant a personal welcome from a flight attendant on board!) but EVA changed the mileage demands and so I'm a Silver now. Avoid the evening meal on the plane- too late and not very appetising and instead eat in the lounge. A hot dinner, salads , soup and much else is available. Wine and a cognac too. I can eat at a reasonable time in my view- 1800- rather than at 2300 which isn't good for sleep.

Another plus is that you can queue at the Business  check-in at BKK which is always much shorter than the other ones, even if, like me you are a mere Elite passenger. Then eat in the EVA Lounge, thereby avoiding the uncomfortable experience of eating in-flight.

Every three round trips I get an up-grade to Business Class on one leg. 

Thanks for your report, especially Pattaya bars, will help me next time I go.

One afternoon I (with hindsight stupidly) took walk beyond walking street through the boat yard area to the little light house on the headland, on my return a less than friendly dog decided to attack and bite me, initially a visit to a pharmacy who just provided some plasters and cream...

At the same spot, two years ago, at night, I almost got attacked by a dog. It was preparing to jump at me, only imaginary stone throwing kept it at a distance. I wonder if it's the same dog, and if it attacks Thai as well.

Details here: http://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/03/pattaya-10-12032014.html

I apply the “imaginary stone throw” technique. Dogs cannot grab and throw objects, so the ability of humans to grab and throw objects must be magic to them. Even without anything to throw at the dog, just making a fist and raising my arm is sufficient and the dog retreats. Is this innate or does it only work if the dog has been hurt by an object thrown by a human before?

A friend recently got bitten, and for me it's only a question of time, hence I'm interested in details. Did the dog jump at you or bite your leg, and did it let go after one bite or did you defend yourself?