Guest hueydavid

Couple visiting Thailand for the first time

Hi Anddy,

Do you remember the name of the street food restaurant you recommended on soi 9? I want to try it when i have a chance. Thanks

Btw, the guy with the "wai" is hot :-)

Remember the name LOL. That place doesn't have a name. While I call it a "restaurant" it doesn't mean in it is housed in a building or even a shack or anything at all. It is just outside right on the sidewalk. Even their Thai menu does't have a name on the front page, just something to the effect of "super super delicious" and their phone number (yes they can be called on a mobile and actually do delivery using mocy taxis). Follow my description of the location, just inside Soi 9 the first on the corner (there is a second one behind it apparently specializing in duck laab, but haven't tried yet). Impossible to miss.

The wai guy: I agree, was glad I found him by simply googling ;-)

Wow this is a lot of great information. Thanks so much guys.

We'll try to keep PDA minimal. we don't want to get into any sort of confrontation but sometimes we subconciously hold hands without realizing. Good to know that Thai people are non-confrontational :D.

One more question regarding street food sanitary: my husband doesnt have the strongest of stomach, will he be okay eating street food or we shouldnt risk it?

yeah seriously, don't worry about hand holding. No idea what kind of "risk" whall is talking about in his post that it's not worth taking....

As for food safety, my theory is that street food can indeed be more safe than restaurant food, for the simple reason that you can see everything that's going on in the food preparation, whereas in a proper restaurant you cannot look inside the kitchen. 

Having said that, there are better places than others. A good rule to follow is to go to places that are full of Thai people. There is a place on Convent that is always busy, but mostly with foreigners (not only farang). In fact, I got the runs from that place once. Whereas NEVER from another place around the corner from that (right around the 7/11) in Saladaeng Soi 2 as well as the Silom Soi 9 one I recommended. I have taken MANY foreign friends to both places, never any issues, even with first time visitors. I have a feeling the potential risk is overrated by westerners and travel guides, but then of course some people are indeed more sensitive to these things so for those being more cautious is probably a good idea.

Another comment about this: there is a difference between just getting a simple diarrhea and actual food poisoning. The former is pretty harmless and can either just be let run it's course (for me on the two occasions I had it in the last two years that involved going to the toilet one, maybe two times only, end of it) or treated with Imodium. The latter is more serious and needs treatment by antibiotics, best after consulting a doctor (easy to do here in the outpatient departments of the hospitals here).

That the ice cubes are the culprit of any diarrhea or worse is actually a myth. That was true many many years ago, when restaurants or bars or whatever used to make their own ice, possibly using dodgy water. Nowadays NOBODY at all EVER makes their own ice. It is all industrially manufactured and purchased in bulk by restaurants, including street food restaurants. There is no risk whatsoever in the ice. 

Also Im guessing farang is the Thai word for white people? From reading the forum it seems Thai guys are really into white guys yea? My husband is so gonna enjoy all the attention he'll be getting haha.

Yes, farang is the Thai word for westerner, but not only whites, interestingly actually includes black people as well. 

Thai guys into white guys? Yes and no, just as everywhere in the world everyone has different preferences. Not all farang like Asians, despite the impression one might get from just browsing this forum LOL. The thing is that the Thai gays that frequent the Silom gay area are indeed very likely to like farang, whereas there is a huge population that doesn't and thus tends to stay away from Silom. You can notice the difference in saunas, too, for example. Whereas in Babylon virtually all Asians will be into farang, at locally  frequented saunas (such as the new-ish R3) this is distinctly not the case (speaking from own experience). Bottom line: if you go out in Silom your statement is correct hehe.

oh, and on dehydration: my personal favorite drink is fresh coconut where available. Highly recommended. Delicious and healthy. Also comes with a dessert included for after your meal, i.e. the coconut meat inside. 

muscfair, I must disagree with you on your assertion that "homosexuality is acceptable to most Thais."

It is acceptable in the gay areas of Bangkok and Pattaya but Thailand is a conservative Buddhist country and I think that the average man /woman in the street would be horrified if they knew exactly what went on in the gay ghettos of their country. I doubt they have any idea.

Also, I don't know if you can equate transvestites with gays.

Most Thais have never been inside a gogo bar. A lot more than "a few" would frown on them.

true it's no big deal, but again, risk of exactly what? Getting odd looks? Big deal, too. Nobody will do or say anything. It might be a matter of courtesy not to do too much (such as kissing in public outside the "gay ghetto") so as not to offend the perceptions of the people of a country one visits, but that's more common sense rather than avoiding any "risk". We are not talking about Russia, Iran, Saudi Arabia here, where actual risks exist.

As for musfair's logic "there are transvestite shows, therefore homosexuality is accepted", I agree with a447a, that is absurd. The same goes for naked and fuck shows in the gogo bars. All those have ZERO relevance as to the acceptance by the general public of (a) homosexuality in general and (b) the display of personal affection by both straight and gay people. In fact, those shows and especially the naked/fuck parts are unknown to many many Thais. Many Thais are also utterly ignorant of the existence of the (in)famous "ping-pong shows". It is rather one of the many contradictions within Thai culture, that on the one hand they are conservative, but on the other hand rather lenient letting things happen. As long as it is not TOO public and not talked about, things are tolerated easily. 

Anyway, to OP hueydavid, just don't place too much weight on a discussion like this which can blow things out of proportion and make believe there are issues which you won't see at all upon arrival. Just relax and have a good time, which you are basically guaranteed to have. Welcome :-)

Guest hueydavid

Thanks again guys for the great tips. We'll try to relax and have a good time :).

Re: swimwear at the beach .. anyone here has any experience with speedos? That's what we typically wear at the beach but from all the advice I've read suggesting otherwise .. we're thinking twice - don't really want to be the subject of ridicule ahaha.

Guest abang1961

Oops, if wearing speedos is considered as indecent, then I could be jailed for wearing much less - backless g-strings and c-strings.

Quite a view and revelation.... and many roving eyes.... Upon seeing that, some farangs stopped their reading of newspaper to give me that "devilish" grin... 

yeah speedos are perfecty fine on any beach in Thailand that is frequented by foreigners, i.e. any beach you are likely to visit. Thai people have an entirely different idea of a day on the beach. They spend it FULLY clothed, preferably with long sleeved shirts so as to avoid any risk of their skin getting any sun (and thus "black", as they call it), sit in the shade and eat, drink and play music. There you would look and feel odd in speedos, but the probability of a foreign tourist (especially first timers) ending up on a Thai-Thai beach is zero. 

Are you going to a beach? Which one? From some other post you made in this thread I got the impression you're in BKK only....

Guest abang1961

Koh Samui

If you are staying in Chaweng or Lamai beach area, fear not.

This is the main cluster/enclave for tourists.

Chaweng is very happening with Lamai more relaxing.

I wore my g-string at both areas and received zero complaints.

Koh Tao (tortoise island) 

This island is further from Koh Samui.

Don't forget to get your malaria pills.

There was a murder involving rape some years ago, so behave appropriately in public.

You certainly don't want to be mobbed.

Thanks again guys for the great tips. We'll try to relax and have a good time :).

Re: swimwear at the beach .. anyone here has any experience with speedos? That's what we typically wear at the beach but from all the advice I've read suggesting otherwise .. we're thinking twice - don't really want to be the subject of ridicule ahaha.

Just take your cue from the vibe around you.  There are places you'd feel ok holding hands in the States and places there where you wouldn't.

Most importantly, you are going to love the place :)

Guest hueydavid

Thanks emailbroken. We will :). It's our first time experiencing the far east culture. Im sure its alot different from our native Canada but we're so excited to explore! Will post some pics once we get there :D

In addition to, what is probably a slight risk, one should always respect the customs of another cultural.

As others have pointed out, the "customs" in Thailand depend on where exactly you are. That, and things are changing. Where I happen to spend most of my time, I see young Thai couples holding hands all the time. Even a hushed kiss here and there isn't entirely unheard of.

Guest hueydavid

In addition to, what is probably a slight risk, one should always respect the customs of another cultural.

That's precisely why we asked for advice in the first place :)

Guest Promsak

That the ice cubes are the culprit of any diarrhea or worse is actually a myth. That was true many many years ago, when restaurants or bars or whatever used to make their own ice, possibly using dodgy water. Nowadays NOBODY at all EVER makes their own ice. It is all industrially manufactured and purchased in bulk by restaurants, including street food restaurants. There is no risk whatsoever in the ice. 

Agree completely about ice cubes. There is no reason why a bar would make their own ice these-days . Bars have it delivered daily by the sack-load from trucks manned by eyecandy boys, jeans and t-shirts dripping with ice cold water. Bags of ice are available at all convenience stores such as 7-11 for a few baht.

I've lived here for years and never got sick from street food.

Don't bother with stocking up with drugs like Imodium. All Thai pharmacies stock all international medications (eg Boots-- U.K.'s largest pharmacy chain). You will also be able to freely buy medications that are only on prescription in your own country.

PS A wheelbarrow vendor visits my soi daily selling baby coconuts, emptied of water, leaving the flesh in chunks and filled with ice cream, 25 Baht.  Ambrosia, surpassed only by sweet mango with coconut sticky rice when in season.

Guest Promsak

then I could be jailed for wearing much less - backless g-strings and c-strings.

. and many roving eyes.... Upon seeing that, some farangs stopped their reading of newspaper to give me that "devilish" grin... 

Ha ha. Ye gods!

Are you misreading those roving eyes and grins?

Guest hueydavid

Hey guys, sorry to bother you with so many questions :D, but we have 1 more:

Where would you recommend for clothes shopping? (Jeans, swimwear etc. - something affordable and not department store price :D)

We've found a bunch of places: Chatuchak, Siam Square, Platinum Mall, etc. But we don't want to spend a whole day shopping so would be great if you could recommend your go-to choice. Thanks again!