Share your scam stories here.

Well said Vinapu. Sadly Firecat doesn't seem to realise that when stuck in a hole, you don't keep digging. His posts are ever more ridiculous.

Don't pay much attention to a 5 year member with 29 posts and the Bottom Line:

Nobody is experiencing Scams and hardly any thefts except Bucknaway .  

Your post is laughable,

if one responds to post  from page 1 it will not be posted on page 1  but as last post on whatever last page it will be at the moment 

It's ridiculous that poster with such long experience on the board doesn't understand  those posting mechanics.

If I said I read last 5 pages in one go  it means I did , thinking I lied it's just idiotic.

If your own medicine doesn't taste well please swallow with water 

You are absolutely right. I failed to see that you responded to a post on August 2, I just saw the post on Page 6.

OK, since we seem to be back to civilization few things I can add into merit of this thread

1.I never experienced scam in Thailand nor even attempt to be scammed other than few offs when boy clearly from the beginning did not intend to perform as promised  / few really means two, both noted in my reports here/

2.I never had anything stolen in Thailand either with possible exception of pocketlifting in BTS but even this I'm not clear as money simply could fall of my pocket when reaching to buy something or a fare, only thing I know is I left HERO with couple hundred more than I arrived to the hotel.

3. The same can be said about every other country I ever visited and I visited plenty as we human race can be assholes but it looks for me we are honest assholes.

But scams may happen everywhere and it pays to be aware of possibility even in most unlikely places - one of my family members received fake 100 USD bill from Swiss bank !

4. Since it was asked in one of posts - I don't even consider massage places high risk for theft, I see crowded pavements and transport as well as my room higher risk places  but again it never happend with possible exception in point 2. And this included situations where I left money in the open / rarely / and case when I left room with boy inside and several thousand baht in open bag, nothing missing  upon return 1/2 hr later.

5. Scams do happen in Thailand and every guide contains warnings with jet ski and gem ones in particular. My friend was scammed on fake  gems but my consolation to him was  if they were real and you will wear them everybody would think  you are a gay which wiped his tears so too speak.

6. Problems with scam victims is that most of them  will never report they were ones for fear of revealing how stupid they are / were. While  two things can't be hidden- pregnancy and idiocy, some will still try.

So fact that scams are not reported or even denied it ever happened may not necessary reflect truth

I am confused. Does that mean all the posters including you who have said they have never been scammed  are really just not admitting they got scammed.  Quite a stretch I think since the vast majority of posters have little personal interaction with other members and thus no reason not to admit they have been scammed.

I have freely admitted that a thief got me for likely more money then everyone else in this thread combined as admitted to (45,000 baht).  Fact I was careless and I paid for it. Also a fact I had left various Models of iPhone in the open hundreds of times with no ill effects.  That made me complacent about certain doing simple things to protect myself and I changed.

Don't pay much attention to a 5 year member with 29 posts and the Bottom Line.

Why ? His post makes perfect sense. 

On the other hand, you have insulted multiple members in this one thread.   What do you gain from that?    FYI, what you lose is reputation.

Nobody is experiencing Scams and hardly any thefts except Bucknaway.

WRONG again.

There have been numerous  scams posted, except you chose to ignore attempted scams, scams where you think the poster should have spotted the ruse, minor scams & third party scams.       All are scams.  

To add to the list of minor scams, I had a gogo bar in Bangkok trying to take me for an unwanted drink last year:

After a fairly short stay in one bar, I was about ready to leave, when a boy sits down next to me without my invitation.  With likely co-ordination, the waiter immediately arrives & asks if I want to buy the boy a drink.  

I say NO thank you (shaking my head), but he ignores my request & goes to the bar to get the drink.  

Once that's in the check bin, I presume the majority of customers will pay the 400 baht to not to cause a scene.

Luckily I had a range of notes, so I put the exact payment for my own drink in the check bin & handed it to another waiter as briskly walking out, just before the other waiter gets back with the unwanted drink.  

Top tip:  Go to the bars with a range of notes, including 20s, 50s, 100s, 500s & 1000s.    

Every time I've ever invited a boy to sit with me, I've bought him a drink, but there is no way I'm paying Soi Twilight prices for an uninvited visitor.  

Well good for you. You can think it makes perfect sense. In 5 years he has been the OP in 1 thread and that thread he accused Christian of making money by having his blog direct people to other sites. Once everyone told him he was full of S--T he quietly went away.

You can continue to say all the reports of attempted scams but the fact is 90% of them are from Bucknaway. Not interested unless we have multiple members who have experienced the scam which we don't seem to have, including you who says you have never been scammed!

Guest abang1961

Mai pen rai.. (Thai language)

Never mind, lah (Singlish-Singapore low level slang)

This is just a forum and we are all entitled to voice our views.

If you don't like a posting, just ignore it.

If you don't like a member, just press the "Ignore" button.

Don't waste our time feuding and have an exchange of words here.

We are all here for the pleasure of Thailand and its boys/men.

WORLD PEACE.

Song dedication: John Lennon's anthem performed by a very under-rated Tracy Chapman

I am confused. Does that mean all the posters including you who have said they have never been scammed  are really just not admitting they got scammed.  Quite a stretch I think since the vast majority of posters have little personal interaction with other members and thus no reason not to admit they have been scammed.

no , my comment was not directed at any posters here but of general nature . Victims of scam usually feel ashamed after realizing that  it could be easily prevented and tend to keep mum about their misadventures.

Only if somebody brave enough tells his story  in the open, others feel they are not alone and are telling about their's trials.

On the anonymous forum like here some may fear that their admission may be followed by  a barrage of criticism and ridicule so will keep quiet too.

Again , those are my general observations and in no way directed at contributors here. It may be the same  mechanism which prevents victims of abuse from going open with their story, . mixture of shame and self-flagellation.

It's why scams are spreading like fire before somebody speaks out and warns others.

Guest Prakanong

no , my comment was not directed at any posters here but of general nature . Victims of scam usually feel ashamed after realizing that  it could be easily prevented and tend to keep mum about their misadventures.

Only if somebody brave enough tells his story  in the open, others feel they are not alone and are telling about their's trials.

On the anonymous forum like here some may fear that their admission may be followed by  a barrage of criticism and ridicule so will keep quiet too.

Again , those are my general observations and in no way directed at contributors here. It may be the same  mechanism which prevents victims of abuse from going open with their story, . mixture of shame and self-flagellation.

It's why scams are spreading like fire before somebody speaks out and warns others.

Very well-said, vinapu.  I don't know if scams are spreading like wildfire, but no-one who has been scammed wants to face the additional ridicule and verbal abuse for posting about it by unsympathetic, self-righteous posters who are quick to shoot down other posters with experiences other than their own.  And this persistent (denig)rating of posters based on the number of posts they've made and how many threads they've started is bordering on the absurd and is of little intellectual merit.

Guest ryanasia

Here's a scam - well, at least I think it is a scam (I'm no longer sure exactly what constitutes a scam!) - when you pay your bill in a gogo bar and they give you your change in coins in the hope that you'll leave them behind.

I'm sure many of us have experienced that one.

When they do this to me i give them a nod and swallow them whole.  I will not be a victim.

Guest abang1961

Here's a scam - well, at least I think it is a scam (I'm no longer sure exactly what constitutes a scam!) - when you pay your bill in a gogo bar and they give you your change in coins in the hope that you'll leave them behind.

I'm sure many of us have experienced that one.

Isn't this a very common practice, especially in South East Asia.  

Thai coins is max at THB 10 and mine is 1SGD (THB 25).

They do it so you feel obliged to tip and leave the coins behind.

Obviously you have the choice to scoop up all the coins if you are a non-tipper.

What is a few THB coins to us, when the off fee is 20x more!

Be generous and gracious.

Guest ryanasia

They do the same thing in the USA as well. Making change for potential tips is hardly a scam. Any waitress in the USA will leave you with dollar bills and break a twenty. Otherwise it is awkward to tip. 

I remember when I was at a bar on a side street near golden cock. I had a drink with a worker there and the ladyboy mamasan would not leave us alone. When I was done, I tipped the guy I was with and she asked for a tip too. Sigh.... I gave her 20 baht and she whispered in English to the guys, "only little baht." It made me smile inside because she whispered in English so that I would understand but I thought she should consider herself lucky because she made my stay there seem like work. Haha

I would regard the use of small coins with the change as harmless & just trying their luck. 

I've also never had the change come back with an unreasonable number of coins. 

But they certainly ensure the change comes back broken doen so you have every opportunity to leave a tip.   For example, if the change is 500 baht, there will be 4x 100 & 5 x 20, but NEVER a 500 note.  This is absolutely 100% fine with me. 

For what it's worth, the more pushy the bar staff, the less likely they are to get a tip from me.   I might just tip in somewhere like Cupidol, where they serve the drinks & stay out of my way.  In Classic Boys, where the offer on stage is outstanding, but the waiters are pests, well the waiters get nothing.  

A more tiresome & common policy is to deliberately take a long time to return the change, so that the customer has every opportunity to give up and leave.  I've seen staff on the till do almost nothing for 10 minutes, before the change is counted out and returned.

However I wouldn't regard that as a scam & if I were in a hurry, I would pay with the correct notes so there is no need to wait for change.  

And this persistent (denig)rating of posters based on the number of posts they've made and how many threads they've started is bordering on the absurd and is of little intellectual merit.

Agreed.   Just don't let one specific member going off the rails influence what you write.  

I guess the scam part of giving change in coins is that the bar is somehow suggesting that they have run out of 20/50 baht notes and so have to give you eight 10 baht coins instead. Soi Twilight bars have often tried that on me over the years.

That never happens at 7/11.

Of course, it is up to me what I do with the coins. Needless to say, I give the waiter a dirty look, scoop the coins up and put them straight in my pocket.

I don't need anyone to suggest I leave a tip, especially in such a blatant way. And waiters who do nothing for me don't get a tip. I'm not a charity.

I'd scoop all the coins since I like change and if feel inclined to tip I'd give 20 baht note out of my pocket.

But to avoid this type of awkward bar situations which are very common I always try to have lots of small notes and few coins and pay them exact amount  plus whatever tip I feel is suitable, in bar usually 20 per serving.