Share your scam stories here.

It's built into their drink prices - e.g. 220 baht means the customer will probably hand over 300 and get 80 back in change.

"A scam surely should involve some kind of subterfuge."

Pretending they have run out of notes is subterfuge.

I've only been cheated once in a bar. That was Neal's old bar after he turned it all over to his old boyfriend.

The bar hired a ladyboy that bothered me constantly to buy her a drink and when I flat out refused she seem to have an attitude. When it was time for me to go she took the check and the cash rather than let the waiter do it. She never came back with my change so I sat there for about an hour enjoying myself and when the staff asked me if I wanted a drink I told them no, I was waiting for my change. I forget how much my change was but I am sure it was less than 90 baht.

I remember thinking how I came out the winner of that swindle. But it was the last time I ever set foot in his bar again.

Once when I passed the bar he begged me to come in. It kinda broke my heart.

How can you even post that last line with a straight face.

He begged you to come in? Seriously. Did he get down on his knees? Did he have tears in his eyes?

It broke your heart? Did you go to church and repent your evil ways ? You didnt buy a drink. Know wonder you felt broken hearted, you must have felt like you deprived him of being able to feed his family.

You've been scammed and cheated every time you've walked out your door in Thailand. So this one was ok, that poor guy will get over it. So pull yourself together and get ready for that scam waiting for you tomorrow.

How can you even post that last line with a straight face.

He begged you to come in? Seriously. Did he get down on his knees? Did he have tears in his eyes?

It broke your heart? Did you go to church and repent your evil ways ? You didnt buy a drink. Know wonder you felt broken hearted, you must have felt like you deprived him of being able to feed his family.

You've been scammed and cheated every time you've walked out your door in Thailand. So this one was ok, that poor guy will get over it. So pull yourself together and get ready for that scam waiting for you tomorrow.

I often passed the bar and each time he would loudly say.  "Hello friend!  Many boys here, come inside!"  

Another time he said "Hello Friend, I remember you.  You come many times.  Have many boys inside." 

That is how it went time after time as I passed the bar.

I was passing his bar again and he said "Have many boys.  Come inside?  Please,  just one drink?  Why you not visit my bar?  Why you not buy drink here?"

But no, he didn't throw himself across my feet.  Sigh.....

Pick a little, Talk a little....

There is noting retaliatory  about it.  Just an observation that what you seems to think is a Big Deal of crying for you to come in is not.

It is the same thing I face every time I walk down Soi Twilight .  Their job is to try to get you and every other passerby to enter their Bar.

It's just business!

Whilst reading about the demise of the Lavender Lanna hotel in Chiang Mai, I was reminded of a scam in their massage room.

I booked a 1.5 hour massage.

On entering, I noticed the clock was about 1.5 hours fast & not moving, but didn't think much about it.

30 minutes later, they informed me the 1.5 hours was up & the massage was over. With the clock ready to provide the evidence.

I did complain to the hotel owner & got offered a free massage, but really wasn't going to have anything more to do with their massage operation.

As for the hotel owner, after he spent all the money renovating that place, within a couple of years, he allegedly committed suicide. I suppose someone else benefited from the money invested. Much better to be a customer in these places.

Before I ever visited thailand I was told to be wary and it's so dodgy. I arrived and was on edge not knowing what to expect. After a few days there i felt annoyed that people had lied to me. I felt safer in Bangkok than I do in London! Yes I've had the police charge me a little more than they should have for not wearing a helmet on our motorbike BUT I've also had a Thai woman tell me my rucksack was open and to close it while i was walking down the road. It had my passport and money near to falling out!

I've also had a Thai woman tell me my rucksack was open and to close it while i was walking down the road. It had my passport and money near to falling out!

You kept money in your rucksack on the street ? That's brave.

I did this many years ago in Iran , exchange  rate was ~ 8100 for one USD and highest denomination was 10000. I exchanged 200 USD and received more than 320 5000 rials banknotes, no pocket would hold that so I kept money  in my back pack  , only time in my life feeling I have bags of money.

From what I know now similar situation is in Uzbekistan

You kept money in your rucksack on the street ? That's brave.

I did this many years ago in Iran , exchange rate was ~ 8100 for one USD and highest denomination was 10000. I exchanged 200 USD and received more than 320 5000 rials banknotes, no pocket would hold that so I kept money in my back pack , only time in my life feeling I have bags of money.

From what I know now similar situation is in Uzbekistan

Yeah long story...

My first trip to Thailand, my Thai friend took me to JJ Weekend Market.  As we walked around he noticed that the woman walking infront of us had a backpack (On her back) and one of the zippers was open presenting a gaping opening into the pocket.  She shimmied it of quickly and dug her hand into the pocket.  You could see the dispair on her face when she told her husband her wallet and money was gone.

On another trip, I took the bus from the airport and forgot my laptop and wallet on the bus.  I had to race back to the airport and the bus ticket seller called the bus back to the airport and there was my laptop.  Everyone got a 1000 baht tip, the 2 bus ticket sellers, the driver and my cab driver.

In the USA...  I forgot my pants at the gym and it had my wallet with $1500 in cash.  In the morning on my way to work, I stopped at the gym and asked them if anyone turned in $1500?  The girl pulled out a wad of money.  I looked at it and told her my cash was in hundreds and fiftys.  I told her I forgot my pants and my wallet was in my pants.  She asked me if they were black jeans?  I told her yes and she bent behind the counter and gave me my jeans with my wallet on top.  Every single dollar was in there.  I didn't give a tip but I did say thank you.

It's great that your cash was still there, they probably thought you are a mafia figure best not messed with - come on, who else would walk around with that much cash?! ;)

More people than you would think I'm sure.

I always keep a certain amount of your mergency money with me but that has nothing to do with the money that I had with me at that time. I was in the thick I'm doing my own Home Remodeling.

Even now I have 5 $100 bills neatly folded and hidden in my wallet for emergency purposes.

I always keep a certain amount of your mergency money with me but that has nothing to do with the money that I had with me at that time. I was in the thick I'm doing my own Home Remodeling.

Even now I have 5 $100 bills neatly folded and hidden in my wallet for emergency purposes.

Same for me but then with euros. And number of times friends and colleagues came to me as the forgot their wallet/money.

Once went to a restaurant on invitation and the one paying only had his credit card with, but the restaurant only accepted cash. All looked at me, knowing I would have that kind of money with to pay for him.

I'm totally used to having ATMs around. In fact I'm quite spoiled in that regard living in Bangkok, where the ATM density is obscene. I do have some extra cash at home, but when I'm out and about, I just take whatever I'm likely to spend that day. For everything else there's MasterCard. Or a trip to the nearest ATM. ;)