Guest Qualityonly

I dont always Tip

Guest ronnie4you

People that criticize tipping are usually concerned that when people tip and they don't it makes them look like the cheapskates they are. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKKxfeNl4uk

I often agree with ryanasia, but not here. Tipping is for service. IF I don't get good service, I either don't tip or lower the tip. I am not a cheapskate by any means. But I shouldn't have to prove that by giving away money.

Guest abang1961

Glad that you guys mentioned tipping as a liking/appreciation of the service rendered by the waiting staff.

Unfortunately here in Singapore, the food may be $100 but there is an extra 10% service charge, 7% Goods and Services Tax and 1% cess (whatever that is for?) imposed.  I am often bemused by the mandatory addition especially when the service is slow and the food is bland... 

In Thailand, I prefer to leave the coins (not amounting to more than THB50) as a token of appreciation,  Then again, I am such a cheapskate and I do enjoy eating street food.. especially that pig offals soup at Silom Soi 2 (?) and the Chicken Feet at a little soi off Thaniya .. For a Chinese Asians, these stalls offer "heavenly" food at THB 50 to 70 only.. I know most of you farangs will get stomach upset just by looking at the food at these stalls..  

One more foodie idea... I savoured the chance to eat chicken rice in Thailand,  That is very different from that from Singapore and Thai chilli, yummy..

Guest ryanasia

I often agree with ryanasia, but not here. Tipping is for service. IF I don't get good service, I either don't tip or lower the tip. I am not a cheapskate by any means. But I shouldn't have to prove that by giving away money.

There is no more divisive issue than tipping it seems. Yes, tipping is supposed to be based on service. I lost my train of thought.... just throw in your buck like everybody else you cheap bastard.

Guest ronnie4you

There is no more divisive issue than tipping it seems. Yes, tipping is supposed to be based on service. I lost my train of thought.... just throw in your buck like everybody else you cheap bastard.

For you, Ryan,  two bucks! Your post always amuse me, so there is the extra service!

I usually tip, but I must confess I am a little less altruistic than some of you guys.

Yes I can tip with gratitude, but more often it is a less selfless motivation than that.

I will tip the room maid, because she will leave me extra towels each morning if I do, or will clean my room even when she is finishing-up if I have had a late night. 

I will tip the hotel waitresses, because when I have all-but thrown the bloody DVD out of the balcony window because I can't get the bloody thing to work and I phone downstairs for help. She will arrive with a frown, flick the simple switch that I had completely missed, but with a small tip she leaves with a smile.

My favourite restaurant I will tip well so they remember me and next time will find me the better table and I wont have to wait too long to get served.

I will tip the young waiters in my favourite agogos - they will always find me and my guest-of-the-night a seat no matter how crowded it is inside. 

Etc.etc.

So I don't tip because I am a saint(although I do try to be LOL), I tip because I will usually get better service for doing so.

Same same with the lads I drink with, flirt with, barfine, etc. - but that's probably for another thread. 

Guest ryanasia

I usually tip, but I must confess I am a little less altruistic than some of you guys.

Yes I can tip with gratitude, but more often it is a less selfless motivation than that.

I will tip the room maid, because she will leave me extra towels each morning if I do, or will clean my room even when she is finishing-up if I have had a late night. 

I will tip the hotel waitresses, because when I have all-but thrown the bloody DVD out of the balcony window because I can't get the bloody thing to work and I phone downstairs for help. She will arrive with a frown, flick the simple switch that I had completely missed, but with a small tip she leaves with a smile.

My favourite restaurant I will tip well so they remember me and next time will find me the better table and I wont have to wait too long to get served.

I will tip the young waiters in my favourite agogos - they will always find me and my guest-of-the-night a seat no matter how crowded it is inside. 

Etc.etc.

So I don't tip because I am a saint(although I do try to be LOL), I tip because I will usually get better service for doing so.

Same same with the lads I drink with, flirt with, barfine, etc. - but that's probably for another thread. 

Tipping bar boys is a completely different matter. It is a somewhat misused term from the old days. Back then you paid the bar and then they said "the tip was up to you" we all know this isn't exactly how it worked. What people are actually calling a "tip" over here is known every where else in the world as a rate. 

I know i am being nit picky here but tips are always voluntary where as the boy always gets a rate. The fact it is negotiable doesn't change this. It only becomes a tip if you give up and beyond what was negotiated. Yes, i understand people do tip in addition but many people have started using the term tip as something it really isn't. Threads like "how much to tip the boy?" Way back when it was more like a tip and you could get away with almost anything but these days try "tipping" less than a 1,000. I gave the boy I went with last night 4,000 Baht. For that night at least this become his going rate. 

Sort of like the "bar fine" isn't really a fine but a fee. 

I know it is all just semantics.... I digress.