numazu

September in Thailand and Cambodia: Tips?

So as I have said in a previous thread, I will be in Thailand again in September. I will actually be in Thailand one third of my trip. The other two-thirds will be in Cambodia: a third in Phnom Penh and the other third in Siem Reap.

So if there are any great tips anyone has out there for a first-timer to Cambodia, I would greatly appreciate it.  Especially:

1. What hot gay establishments should I visit? Are the rules in Thailand similar to the Khmer bars? Any common pitfalls to avoid?

2. What are the general rules for "offing" boys there, including prevailing short-time and long-time fees?

3. Other gay "must-dos" in PP and SR that I should be aware of?

I will be with a Khmer boy the whole time so I will have a guide as well, but any tips will be appreciated!

So don't hate me for posting this on the "Thailand" part of the forums, but no one seems to be visiting the others parts of this message board.  Feel free to move this thread to the appropriate place if this is a problem! Also, if this topic has been visited before ad nauseum, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks guys!

Thx for posting this! That's what I want to know also. I'm going to Cambodia and Thailand in a few months. Was going to post the exact same thing.

there are not gogo type bars in Cambodia as in Thailand. 

There are a couple of gay bars in SR as well as in PP.

The usual apps are relatively popular there as well. I tried to hook up with one cute boy who contacted me on Grindr or Hornet but our schedules never meshed. Tons of hot guys in SR. Many gay guys work in hotels and restaurants. I'd imagine if you're very discreet you'd be able to meet them. A friend of mine apparently hooked up with a waiter or host at one popular restaurant down by the river.

There are a couple of massage places in SR. I visited the one associated with Linga bar. There were 4 or so masseurs on duty when I was there. I didn't get to pick my masseur. Mostly big muscle guys. The whole experience wasn't especially memorable. There was a more mainstream massage place on the main road near pub street that had cute guys out front. I wish I had gone there instead.

Utopia-asia.com has good info as does travelgayasia.com

If you are looking moneyboys in Siem Reap then try Blue Hatha ... Hatha Khmer is closed and now all the boys ( most of them are good looking ) are in Blue Hatha . Go there and make your pick and directly you can take the boy to your hotel or call later . For massage I went to Men's which has a nice and clean facility and quite good massage by straight masseurs ...happy ending is possible .

I liked Station Bar , friendly staff and nice cabaret show .   

Ryan-a is right: the choice of available+experienced Khmer boys is far better in TH as it is in their homecountry.

Action? What action?-limited to maybe 2-3 bars, busy only weekends, spread out in those 2 cities. Do your choice between: a gay-aimed HTL (see tga for listing) or a general one-make your choice in budget/standards.

IMHO best to get a thorough onhand review from as recent as last year on that other forum from the well-travelled OZzie a747 (or so, an ex-airsteward).

The only saving grace for KH is their much lower expected fees- 20//30-40US$ (ANY big amount there is paid in US$ cash) for short//long time. There are a very few massageshops where it is assumed you will also need ''extra service''roughly same format as in TH.

Again: the well-known sites are best for hook-ups, but also realise that any boy with a fancy Ifone etc must have a foreign sugar+cream-provider- the average Khmer does it with that trusted old Nokia.

I suspect we will learn much from the replies to your queries and the reports (please) of your adventures.  Hope our paths cross as I'll be in Bangkok in three weeks.  Fun journey!

I promise to do a report if enough people post tips here lol. And yes I'm pretty sure our paths will cross.

there are not gogo type bars in Cambodia as in Thailand. 

There are a couple of gay bars in SR as well as in PP.

The usual apps are relatively popular there as well. I tried to hook up with one cute boy who contacted me on Grindr or Hornet but our schedules never meshed. Tons of hot guys in SR. Many gay guys work in hotels and restaurants. I'd imagine if you're very discreet you'd be able to meet them. A friend of mine apparently hooked up with a waiter or host at one popular restaurant down by the river.

There are a couple of massage places in SR. I visited the one associated with Linga bar. There were 4 or so masseurs on duty when I was there. I didn't get to pick my masseur. Mostly big muscle guys. The whole experience wasn't especially memorable. There was a more mainstream massage place on the main road near pub street that had cute guys out front. I wish I had gone there instead.

Utopia-asia.com has good info as does travelgayasia.com

Thanks for starting up the tips. Will probably not have a chance to get anyone on the apps but you never know. I may visit the massage place you mentioned just for shits and giggles.

How long is your trip total? 13 2/3 doesnt give total time.

Right now its three nights PP, three nights SR, and three nights BKK. Maybe more. But that's the plan as of right now.

If you are looking moneyboys in Siem Reap then try Blue Hatha ... Hatha Khmer is closed and now all the boys ( most of them are good looking ) are in Blue Hatha . Go there and make your pick and directly you can take the boy to your hotel or call later . For massage I went to Men's which has a nice and clean facility and quite good massage by straight masseurs ...happy ending is possible .

I liked Station Bar , friendly staff and nice cabaret show .   

Thanks. I'll try Blue Hatha for sure just to pick upon boy for some enjoyment for a night. And its good there is a cabaret show. not quite the gogo show but i'll take it.

If it's hot Cambodians you want try Pattaya. :)

Haha. Funny and sad at the same time. That is why i am importing a Cambodian from Pattaya to accompany me to PP and SR.

Ryan-a is right: the choice of available+experienced Khmer boys is far better in TH as it is in their homecountry.

Action? What action?-limited to maybe 2-3 bars, busy only weekends, spread out in those 2 cities. Do your choice between: a gay-aimed HTL (see tga for listing) or a general one-make your choice in budget/standards.

IMHO best to get a thorough onhand review from as recent as last year on that other forum from the well-travelled OZzie a747 (or so, an ex-airsteward).

The only saving grace for KH is their much lower expected fees- 20//30-40US$ (ANY big amount there is paid in US$ cash) for short//long time. There are a very few massageshops where it is assumed you will also need ''extra service''roughly same format as in TH.

Again: the well-known sites are best for hook-ups, but also realise that any boy with a fancy Ifone etc must have a foreign sugar+cream-provider- the average Khmer does it with that trusted old Nokia.

Argh ok. I understand that Cambodia simply will not have the developed sex tourist infrastructure as Thailand does. I've been checking out a747's trip reports and this is primarily the impetus for me going to Cambodia. It's my first time so the majority of the time will be sightseeing. The boy hunting is secondary, nevertheless important. Good thing boys are cheap. Maybe I'll get 3 or 4 a night. LOL. I'm serious.

More tips guys!

A couple Siem Reap notes:

I've stayed at the Le Meridien most recently - very nice and relaxing on the road out to Angkor.  Short tuktuk ride into town or to main temples.  Town center can be very noisy with revelers - so you might think twice before staying right in the middle of the action there.  Everything is very close and lots of tuktuks.

I don't recall much availability on the apps, but wasn't really looking last time I went.

The typical recommended routine is visit temples in the morning - not as hot and the light is better for photos.  Mid-day photos tend to get washed out.  This is most important for the Bayon.  (Obvs only relevant if you care about the sun/heat and photos.). [Daily routine - morning temples, mid-day rest/pool, afternoon museum, shops, urban exploration, massage, evening relax, night party in old town.  repeat.]. Late afternoon some of the temples also start clearing out, or your driver can take you to some of the beautiful smaller temples that dot the landscape.  There's a "pink" one I recall being very nice.  

The museum is interesting and not too big.

There's a nice night market across the river from the old part of town for shopping.  Standard rules apply for tuktuk drivers - they will offer to take you to shops they know, and from which they get a commission.  I preferred the night market in town and this one actress the street.  For some beautiful examples of local crafts - at a very high price - check out Artisans d'Angkor.

Also across the river is http://hathakhmerspa.weebly.com/siem-reap.html.  Been there a few times and generally pleased.  You pick from a handful of guys sitting in a room behind a glass wall.  Good service all around.  And nice guys.  They also have a branch in Phnom Penh.

I was also disappointed by Linga Bar massage.  Wasn't really thrilled with the bar either.  I think when I was there there was some tension between manager (owner?) and staff.  Not a good vibe.  I am sure I was just there on a bad night.  

Agree the cabaret show is fun.  For a nice place to hang out, have some drinks and some food, I liked Miss Wong.  Squirreled away on a little alley, so maybe a little hard to find (?) - but google maps is accurate as I recall.

Only real bad part of Siem Reap is the taxi ride from the airport to hotel - drivers usually go for the hard swell on being your driver for your visit.  

Of course there is enough to keep you occupied in Siem Reap for many days, but I really really enjoyed visiting Tonle Sap.

I'll let others who have visited Phnom Penh more recently than I speak to that.

Guest ryanasia

As DM said the center is noisy. do not stay on or near pub street or it will drive you crazy. The bars and music goes until 4 am or longer. 

Guest ryanasia

Whall if you have a hard time finding things to do in Pattaya in the day you will get bored of Siem Reap very quickly. Just keep that in mind as there isn't that much at night time either. Lots of Korean tourists and backpacker places. After a night at wine Station and the two or three bars that tend to change locations every 3 months you may find yourself wondering what you are doing there unless you want to spend a few days at Angkor. 

Siem Reap is pretty much like Pattaya with out the great night life. If massages are your thing you might fair better.

Siem Reap is definitely a place for "cultural" tourism, rather than other kinds (sex).  But for that, I think it's great.  You can spend many days exploring the temples and just crack the surface.  Or going out to a village or the lake.  If you're not into that sort of thing, then of course it's a very silly place to go to indeed - a decent place for a visa run, not much more.  A good guide is probably essential if you want to get the most of the UNESCO site.  I have never used him, and can't vouch for him, but I see there is a guide listed on the highly-regarded siamroads.com website.  

Yeah I'm planning to spend multiple days at Angkor. I've been reading and watching a lot about it. It's just calling me!

I could go without sex for a free days if I have to while I'm there. It'll be rough but I'll plow through it. Ha

Whall if you have a hard time finding things to do in Pattaya in the day you will get bored of Siem Reap very quickly. Just keep that in mind as there isn't that much at night time either. Lots of Korean tourists and backpacker places. After a night at wine Station and the two or three bars that tend to change locations every 3 months you may find yourself wondering what you are doing there unless you want to spend a few days at Angkor.

Siem Reap is pretty much like Pattaya with out the great night life. If massages are your thing you might fair better.

Yeah, I'll hire a guide for Angkor.

Siem Reap is definitely a place for "cultural" tourism, rather than other kinds (sex). But for that, I think it's great. You can spend many days exploring the temples and just crack the surface. Or going out to a village or the lake. If you're not into that sort of thing, then of course it's a very silly place to go to indeed - a decent place for a visa run, not much more. A good guide is probably essential if you want to get the most of the UNESCO site. I have never used him, and can't vouch for him, but I see there is a guide listed on the highly-regarded siamroads.com website.

Guest ryanasia

Yeah I'm planning to spend multiple days at Angkor. I've been reading and watching a lot about it. It's just calling me!

I could go without sex for a free days if I have to while I'm there. It'll be rough but I'll plow through it. Ha

In that case your days should be marvellous and hopefully you will be tired out at night and relaxing is good enough.

What do people suggest for PP?

On the last 2 trips, I stayed at the Silver River Hotel, which was close to the Blue Chilli Bar.  

I e-mailed them directly, asking about room rates & bringing guests to the room.

They said there was a $5 charge for joiners.  I negotiated that away & a slightly better room rate before booking.  I took a copy of the e-mail with me, although no one ever tried to impose a joiners charge.

I'm not aware of newer bar openings & bear in mind the Saunas are located further south, so if you wanted to be close to them, a different hotel would be appropriate.

I suppose you will pack an umbrella if going there in September.

The typical recommended routine is visit temples in the morning - not as hot and the light is better for photos.  Mid-day photos tend to get washed out.  This is most important for the Bayon.  (Obvs only relevant if you care about the sun/heat and photos.). [Daily routine - morning temples, mid-day rest/pool, afternoon museum, shops, urban exploration, massage, evening relax, night party in old town.  repeat.]. Late afternoon some of the temples also start clearing out, or your driver can take you to some of the beautiful smaller temples that dot the landscape.  There's a "pink" one I recall being very nice.  

The museum is interesting and not too big.

There's a nice night market across the river from the old part of town for shopping.  Standard rules apply for tuktuk drivers - they will offer to take you to shops they know, and from which they get a commission.  I preferred the night market in town and this one actress the street.  For some beautiful examples of local crafts - at a very high price - check out Artisans d'Angkor.

Also across the river is http://hathakhmerspa.weebly.com/siem-reap.html.  Been there a few times and generally pleased.  You pick from a handful of guys sitting in a room behind a glass wall.  Good service all around.  And nice guys.  They also have a branch in Phnom Penh.

I was also disappointed by Linga Bar massage.  Wasn't really thrilled with the bar either.  I think when I was there there was some tension between manager (owner?) and staff.  Not a good vibe.  I am sure I was just there on a bad night.  

Agree the cabaret show is fun.  For a nice place to hang out, have some drinks and some food, I liked Miss Wong.  Squirreled away on a little alley, so maybe a little hard to find (?) - but google maps is accurate as I recall.

Only real bad part of Siem Reap is the taxi ride from the airport to hotel - drivers usually go for the hard swell on being your driver for your visit.  

This is amazing DivineMadman :). Definitely a blueprint for me with my short stay in Siem Reap. Seems like I'll be really busy between Angkor Wat, museums, massage, shops and cabaret. I can't wait :). I booked an airport taxi via my hotel in Siem Reap.

Siem Reap is definitely a place for "cultural" tourism, rather than other kinds (sex).  But for that, I think it's great.  You can spend many days exploring the temples and just crack the surface.  Or going out to a village or the lake.  If you're not into that sort of thing, then of course it's a very silly place to go to indeed - a decent place for a visa run, not much more.  A good guide is probably essential if you want to get the most of the UNESCO site.  I have never used him, and can't vouch for him, but I see there is a guide listed on the highly-regarded siamroads.com website.  

I am all in on the cultural tourism part of it. My Khmer companion is there for me for the sex part, but obviously I will be open for more if the opportunity arises. The how to get the boys part is what I am curious about. Are there money boys readily available in the bars at Siem Reap?

Yeah, I'll hire a guide for Angkor.

This was a great idea Divinemadman. i already reached out to the siamroads website, and even had Ya, the BKK guide, to contact Sareth, the guide for Siem Reap, to see if he is available at my dates. Hopefully he is free. It's amazing that his rate (and Ya's rate) is so reasonable, that I'm projecting to get him the whole stay.

On the last 2 trips, I stayed at the Silver River Hotel, which was close to the Blue Chilli Bar.  

I e-mailed them directly, asking about room rates & bringing guests to the room.

They said there was a $5 charge for joiners.  I negotiated that away & a slightly better room rate before booking.  I took a copy of the e-mail with me, although no one ever tried to impose a joiners charge.

I'm not aware of newer bar openings & bear in mind the Saunas are located further south, so if you wanted to be close to them, a different hotel would be appropriate.

I suppose you will pack an umbrella if going there in September.

My Khmer friend also recommended packing an umbrella in September. I chose an AirBNB property in the center of Phnom Penh, so not worried about joiners. Not really looking to getting a 3rd (or 4th) this trip, but you never know.

Thanks for the tips so far guys! Maybe more tips on Phnom Penh? Where to get Money Boys? What bars are better? Pricing?